bonesdad1

Distinguished
May 25, 2002
1. What is your budget? 600

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 14-15.6

3. What screen resolution do you want? at least 1080

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? portable

5. How much battery life do you need? as much as possible

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? no gaming

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) photo editing, high end.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 512-1tb, he has a 6 tb external drive

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Costco.com

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 5 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? Just USB for sticks and hopefully a camera card slot

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. He's always had hp and has been happy. but open to others.

13. Please tell us any additional information if needed. That about sums it up.

Here's what we're considering from Costco:

https://www.costco.com/lenovo-ideap...indows-11---abyss-blue.product.100858044.html

https://www.costco.com/hp-14"-lapto...---1080p---windows-11.product.4000056438.html

If there are better selections elsewhere (online only, we're in the boonies), please let me know. Thanks folks!!

HP: has about a 10 percent single thread advantage on standard Passmark benchmark.

Lenovo; has about a 35 percent advantage when all threads are utilized; the AMD CPU on the Lenovo supports 16 threads compared to 12 on the HP's Intel CPU.

Your friend would have to make a judgement about whether or not his specific software can take good advantage of the extra threads on the Lenovo. I have NO idea. Some software can and some is largely dependent on a single thread.

Maybe check Photoshop and video-centric benchmarks for that info?

Both have 12 GB RAM. Both have 512 GB SSD.

Lenovo has a slightly larger screen but I certainly wouldn't buy on that basis alone.

Most important features would be keyboard touch and feel as well as screen quality, but very tough to judge those factors unless he can use both machines briefly rather than rely on spec sheets.

Maybe he can get a "free look" at both and return the one he doesn't want because it's Costco? Return privileges probably pretty good there.

Reliability info likely anecdotal and not to be counted on. If he has prior satisfaction with HP, I wouldn't go very far to get him to change to Lenovo due to possible buyer's remorse...although obviously a new HP could be horrid by chance alone.

Good luck.

Last edited: