New Laptop, boot m.2 SSD --> boot nvme SSD SWAP.

Sep 15, 2018
Hey!
So I am waiting for the delivery of my new g7 and a samsung 970 evo 500gb nvme.
How do I best proceed with installing the Samsung ssd? Cloning(after installing Windows on the 128GB m.2) or fresh USB install (without turning on the laptop once)?
Any BIOS settings that I need to change?

I have also ordered an ADATA SU650 960GB 2.5" sata SSD which I hope to install on the 2.5 inch bay for a total ~1.5TB storage. I hear mixed reviews about the 2.5 inch bay on the G7 being compatible with SSDs. If it doesn't work, I will be using the ADATA externally with an adapter as I really need the storage. Anyone here successfully upgraded to a 2.5" SSD on the G7?

Solution
The OS is already on the preinstalled 128GB drive.
You absolutely need to turn it on first, to activate the OS and get everything running.

To swap the drive for the new 500GB...

You'll need an external drive of some sort, and a USB stick.
1. Install Macrium Reflect
2. Create a Rescue USB on that USB stick
3. With Macrium, create a full drive image of the 128GB. That Image gets saved to the external drive
4. Power off, and swap the drives.
5. Boot from the Rescue USB you created earlier.
6. Restore, and tell it where the Image is, and which drive to apply it to...the new 500GB.

This should work no problem.

USAFRet

Titan
The OS is already on the preinstalled 128GB drive.
You absolutely need to turn it on first, to activate the OS and get everything running.

To swap the drive for the new 500GB...

You'll need an external drive of some sort, and a USB stick.
1. Install Macrium Reflect
2. Create a Rescue USB on that USB stick
3. With Macrium, create a full drive image of the 128GB. That Image gets saved to the external drive
4. Power off, and swap the drives.
5. Boot from the Rescue USB you created earlier.
6. Restore, and tell it where the Image is, and which drive to apply it to...the new 500GB.

This should work no problem.

Solution
Sep 15, 2018
Okay Awesome! Thanks! I'll try this out.
And pardon me for being noobish, but I read a lot of threads talking about "AHCI" and I couldn't seem to find out if I need to change anything with my setup. Can I get max performance out of my nvme without changing anything?

USAFRet

Titan

It should already bet set that way.