New Laptop BSOD

Oct 6, 2018
Hello,

If someone could help me with my laptop troubles, I'd greatly appreciate it. I recently (~1 month ago) bought a new laptop (HP Pavillion 15-cw0). It has an SSD for the OS and programs, and a larger hard drive for bigger data. It is sometimes speedy and doesn't get bogged down opening simple programs, but other times it is a snail when it comes to simple things like scrolling through pdfs. Out of nowhere (doesn't seem to be particularly dependent on a given program being opened), it crashes and gives me a blue screen. The error is typically a DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION; today it was DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL. I have tried a reset of Windows, as well as updating drivers through various driver update tools, and HP's own tool. As well, I've done all of the hardware and system checks through HP's software, as well as memory checks. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could solve this issue? The laptop is pretty much unusable at this point, as it just isn't reliable (it has been this way since day one). If more info would help, please just let me know the diagnostics/checks to run, or what to look for in event viewer.

Thank you very much in advance!

I think a month may be too long to simply get the vendor to exchange it, they'll probably tell you it will have to be returned under warranty to the manufacturer. That's what PC World told me when I returned a faulty HP PC that I'd had for a month. Of course, it's possible the vendor you bought it from has it's own exchange policy which may have a more favourable outcome for you.