Question New laptop dilemma

Oct 2, 2024
Hi guys! I am in the process of choosing my new laptop. Ideally, I want a laptop that will serve me a for long time, without costing me too much. After some searching, I settled on two models:

CPU: Ryzen 5 7535HS
GPU: RTX 2050
RAM: 16GB DDR5 5600Mhz
SSD: 1TB

Or

CPU: Ryzen 5 8645HS
Integrated GPU: Radeon 760M
RAM: 16GB DDR5 6400Mhz
SSD: 1 TB

So basically, a choice between a bit better CPU and RAM vs a bit better GPU. Price is the same.

Let me say that I am not a gamer, and most likely won't have time for games any time soon. I do, however, want the possibility of playing games, if I get the chance. I don't care about frame rates or ultra settings on newest games, mostly I want games like Fallout 4, GTA 5 etc., maybe something newer, but nothing fancy. As for my primary use, I mostly I surf the web, watch movies, have lots of tabs opened, music in the background, stuff downloading, transferring files, etc, sometimes all at the same time. So, I am in a dilemma. Which will benefit me more between the two? Thanks in advance

Oct 2, 2024
Also, the reason why I am in need of a new laptop is because I used to leave it plugged in all of the time, which apparently ruined my battery in 2 or 3 years. (Although I did spill stuff couple of times, too). But now I read that battery cannot be damaged that way?
I'm not sure how to treat my new laptop?
Charging it from 20 to 80 percent all the time and being constantly on the lookout when to plug and unplug seems very bothersome...
Any advice for that?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
My advice on laptop batteries is to use it however you like. The battery is self monitoring and will do its best to keep the battery healthy. Ideally the battery is already provisioned so you aren't using the top end of it. Though you can set this further with Windows power settings "Maximize Battery Health" which will stop charging at 80%.

Keeping it above 20% is good in general. The more full charge cycles the more wear and tear on the battery.

But if you need 100% of the battery, it is perfectly okay to do that once in a while.

As to your movie watching question, that depends on what you are watching and how sensitive you are. Most films are in 24 FPS which divides neatly into 144hz. But there is also 25FPS, 30FPS, and the occasional 60 FPS content out there.

760M should be adequate for low/medium settings at 1080p even on some of the harder hitting titles. It will be upscaled using FSR, but that should be alright. Older games should just render natively.

Hey there,

I'd agree with @COLGeek . Second one is the better option for your needs. It will also run slightly cooler as it has a build in iGPU, instead of a discrete GPU. It also has faster ram, and along with the newer tech CPU will be very snappy.

Knowing the brand of each would be helpful, as some brands have poor customer service should you have an issue. The brand and model may also determine the chassis type, port selection, new wifi standards etc.

On the battery question. Yes, this is still a thing. Operating between 20 and 80% is in theory better for the battery. It reduces the amount of power cycles through on and off. But, IMO, batteries are replaceable and will degrade sooner or later anyway. I prefer to have it 100% so that I can be sure of approximately how much time I can use it on the road without charge.

Edit: Damn it! @Eximo got in there before me! :) Well, with a much more comprehensive answer too. :)

My advice on laptop batteries is to use it however you like. The battery is self monitoring and will do its best to keep the battery healthy. Ideally the battery is already provisioned so you aren't using the top end of it. Though you can set this further with Windows power settings "Maximize Battery Health" which will stop charging at 80%.

Keeping it above 20% is good in general. The more full charge cycles the more wear and tear on the battery.

But if you need 100% of the battery, it is perfectly okay to do that once in a while.
This ^^^ Well explained.