Question New laptop M1 Macbook Air vs. ASUS Zephyrus G14 Ryzen ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uglijimus

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
1. What is your budget? 1500 USD

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 13-16 inc

3. What screen resolution do you want? not important

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? portable, but desktop replaceable is possible as well

5. How much battery life do you need? the longer the better

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? no games

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) editing on davinic resolve 17

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? at least 500gB

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. N/A

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? as long as I can but realistically 3 years?

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? standard DVD ROM would be nice

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I'm up for anything if it gets the job done

13. What country do you live in? USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. I was 90 percent set on a mac airbook M1 until I found the ASUS Zephyrus G14 Ryzen. Then it comes down to the following since performance seems fairly identical. Battery life is important as work on editing in Davinici Resolve around 25 to 30 hours a week and don't want to take a power plug to work when I am working on my lunch. On the other hand, I don't want to switch to Apple because I've never used one before and don't want to invest the time to get used to it (time is essential as I am constantly trying to put out youtube videos).

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
yeah sorry to tell you but you cant do heavy work without being plugged in for the most part. The m1 is a good chip especially if you wont be gaming.

uglijimus

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
well, I guess it comes down to what you consider "heavy". No I won't be gaming, but will be video editing. I found a bunch of yotube videos that I could have sworn that it was getting good battery life when being maxed out (not the 18 hours that I heard was claimed) but closer to 8 or so.

well, I guess it comes down to what you consider "heavy". No I won't be gaming, but will be video editing. I found a bunch of yotube videos that I could have sworn that it was getting good battery life when being maxed out (not the 18 hours that I heard was claimed) but closer to 8 or so.
The only way you could get an all day battery life is if the components are sipping power. While the M1 would definitely be more efficient (doing more work with less power), you're not going to get anywhere near the performance it would've gotten as if it was plugged in.

Status
Not open for further replies.