Question New laptop Microsoft account

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
I just bought a HP laptop...... the first new pc i've purchased in years so i was confronted by surprise when i first turned it on. Contana took over setting me up with the internet and then i had to stop when it wanted me to create an account with Microsoft. I do not want to, and i am looking to get rid of the account I created when installing Win 10 on my desktop. On that one, Microsoft sent me an email that it would continue with my account, unless i do not want it, i have up to aug.18th to get rid of it, otherwise it will roll over. Now, i seem to be stymeed with this laptop. Is there a way to bypass the Microsoft account and continue with setup or do i have to create an account and then get rid of it?

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
You could've created an offline account, in order to do so, you simply didn't need to connect to an available WiFi network or having an Ethernet cable plugged into it.
LI ke I said, first purchase in years so I didn't expect that I had to setup getting into the internet in order to get my OS, Win 11 installed...that was what Cotana or whatever the virtue voice told me.."no internet, no OS." How does one create an account OFFline?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
You could've created an offline account, in order to do so, you simply didn't need to connect to an available WiFi network or having an Ethernet cable plugged into it.

This is not the case with W10 "Home" OS install. In my own experience they have closed this loophole. The only way I am currently aware of not having to enter MS account credentials is by using a "Pro" license.

OP, the easiest thing to do is to utilize or create a new MS account. I won't call it a throwaway, because you are going to have to have it down the road. Use it to set up the PC and then look up and follow the steps towards using a local only account. Much like Apple and Android/Google, this is becoming something that simply is not going to be possible as time goes by.

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
This is not the case with W10 "Home" OS install. In my own experience they have closed this loophole. The only way I am currently aware of not having to enter MS account credentials is by using a "Pro" license.

OP, the easiest thing to do is to utilize or create a new MS account. I won't call it a throwaway, because you are going to have to have it down the road. Use it to set up the PC and then look up and follow the steps towards using a local only account. Much like Apple and Android/Google, this is becoming something that simply is not going to be possible as time goes by.
Why do you say I have to use it down the road, so create a MS account? I read that its only necessary if one is into "Office:" and other areas that I am not interesed into. I dislike the constant reminders of this is for sale and etc,,,,I get enough of those from other ads