New laptop, processor - i7 U vs HQ?

ShauryaVerma

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
Hi,

I'm looking to replace my ancient laptop. The primary use is gonna be for browsing, lightroom, photoshop, dxo noise reduction, occasionally running some code, and maybe some racing games.

There are lots of i7-U laptops available, (which are dual core). How much slower would they be in processing images compared to HQ processors (which are quad core, with a higher TDP)?

U pros : cheaper, low battery requirements, low cooling requirements, can get a compact portable laptop

HQ pros : more powerful (how much??)

Here's a cpubenchmark comparison b/w a 6700HQ and a 7500U which says the HQ is ~30% faster than the U. But I'm not sure how much the processing times, say a batch process in DxO would differ across the two. Or if I'll see that in general usage/browsing.

I'd be happy with the battery saving and added compactness offered by a U series one, only if performance doesn't take a big hit.

PS: finally, when can we expect Ryzen laptops to hit the market? And how much will the intel laptop cpu prices fall because of that.. any estimate?

Solution
Don't look at The overall. Look at the mc mixed. That is where a lot of the editing will take place at that point it's closer to double the speed (will take half as long) as the i7u there really isn't an upside to the u processors most of the time other than cost. In the desktop world the i7u processors are just another i3 that Intel figured out how to charge a ton for. The i7hq are legitimate processors​

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Don't look at The overall. Look at the mc mixed. That is where a lot of the editing will take place at that point it's closer to double the speed (will take half as long) as the i7u there really isn't an upside to the u processors most of the time other than cost. In the desktop world the i7u processors are just another i3 that Intel figured out how to charge a ton for. The i7hq are legitimate processors​

Solution

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Just saw your edit.

Ryzen laptops should still be a few months off they're still listed as 2nd half of 2017 but all that means is sometime after july 1st but before December 31.

Intel didn't budget when ryzen desktop came out I don't suspect they will when the mobile CPUs do either

ShauryaVerma

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011

@Supahos: Hi, thanks for your prompt and helpful reply.

I searched for blogs and videos of people comparing processing times, as they do those side-by-side tests for phones to give an idea of real world performance, but couldn't find anything appropriate. So as you say, MC mixed should reflect processing times.

I'm veering towards an HQ, which'll mean a larger heavy laptop.. which shouldn't be too bad, as so was my last one. I'll wait for a good time for the prices to dip...

It's harder as I'm in India now and computers are 20-50% more expensive here.. I might have to try and get a friend to buy it from the US, risking warranty exclusion.