Question New laptop ram running at 2666mhz vs 3200mhz

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 18, 2023
I have a new Aorus 5 laptop. The memory in CPUz show running at 1333mhz(2666) which is the default for 3200 ram i believe.. But it should be running at 3200 with this cpu.

In the bios it only shows the ram info under chipset. Micron ddr4 3200. There is no options for XMP or to make any kind of changes anywhere in the bios to do with ram.

It uses crucial ram. 16gb. I bought a 32gb 3200mhz crucial module same 1.2v and CL22 and swapped the ram. Same model.
It also runs at only 2666mhz. I swapped back to factory ram and it's still 2666.

Interestingly, I logged this while gaming with Hwinfo. Under memory clock info it will show maybe 3 to 12 rows of 1333, then a jump to 1596, then back to 1333. I then a few rows later back to 1596, etc. I don't know what this means.

How can I get this ram up to 3200? Regularly. I have the latest bios FBOE. Is this a ram issue, bios, or mobo? Maybe try different manufacturer of ram? I read other people were getting 3200mhz with stock ram, and that this bios is very choosy with what ram it will take. But I don't want to just keep trying different modules of this is not a ram issue.

Thanks for reading.

GIGABYTE
Model: Aorus 5 SE4- 73US213SH
Chipset Intel I7-12700H
Motherboard is Aorus 5 SE
Windows 11 home
BIOS - FB0E

Last edited:
So, in my opinion, that's likely some or even all of your problem. I HIGHLY recommend NEVER using ANY of the bundled or offered motherboard vendor utilities. They are all garbage and almost unilaterally cause problems that don't exist without them. That goes for ASUS AI suite or Armory crate, Gigabyte control center, MSI Dragon center, ASRock Live update, etc. They are ALL problematic and they are ALL unnecessary.

There is absolutely zero reason to use any of them. If you need to update drivers, GO get your drivers from the motherboard drivers download page. If you need to update the BIOS, go to the motherboard product page and download the latest BIOS version.

My personal recommendation would be to uninstall Gigabyte control center. Then, go into the Windows power options and set your power plan to balanced. Newer Intel processors don't work properly with the performance power plan and they are not designed to, especially on a laptop. And none of the Ryzen processors, which I know yours isn't but I'm simply expanding on the changes in power recommendations that are common now, are recommended to be used with anything other than the balanced plans either. These newer CPUs are, by design, supposed to be able to fully rest the cores that are not in use and when the performance plans are enabled, even if you go into the advanced settings and set the min processor power state to 5% as was the standard recommendation for many previous generations of Intel CPU when the performance plan was in use, it will not allow the CPU to at any point drop below it's base clock and that creates a situation where the package (Meaning the entire CPU including all of it's cores) temperature stays much higher and when the package temperature stays high then core temps will not only stay higher but will rise to undesirable thermal values way faster than if they were able to periodically "rest". That "rest" period when a given core or many cores is not in use is crucial to keeping package temps lower during normal operations.

Even under full loads unless you are running something like Prime95 to enforce all core full load thermal testing, there will generally be some cores not being utilized or switching off, plus the balanced plan has different power limits in most cases and in every case the configuration of the power plans is determined specifically by the configuration of the chipset drivers which are tuned by Intel/AMD specifically for the parts in use.

So I'd say, ditch control center, then set the power plan to balanced, and SEE how it does. Obviously you will want to restart after doing this and then SEE how it does. If it makes no difference at all, then by all means, run whatever power plan you want but I would at least try it since the Intel speed step and Intel speed shift technologies won't work properly anymore if you have the performance plan enabled and those two technologies are a huge part of thermal management on all modern Intel platforms but even more so on Intel based laptops.