Question New laptop recommendations ?

RaidHobbit

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2014
I have decided I need to purchase a laptop.

This is not for high-spec gaming, I have a gaming PC for that. My needs are as follows:

1. For creating a lot of documentation in Word.
2. For writing and compiling programs in Python and Java.
3. For storing and quickly being able to load large audio files (I will set the max at a combined total of 100GB).
4. For audio editing those audio files (I use Audiocity and Wavepad).
5. For testing if Indie Games will operate on ordinary spec laptops (I`ll say £299.99 ones).
6. Touch screen and stylus capabilities are not essential, but I wouldn`t say no as I have devices all over the place.
7. Any freebie graphics applications are not essential, but could be tempting. Adobe would be good. I have Autodesk stuff on my top spec PC for CAD and rendering etc.
8. Built in webcam and mic.
9. Decent battery life so I can work places without a power supply.
10. Wi-fi and bluetooth please.
11. Needs at least 1 x USB 3.0 socket (but would prefer a spare) so I can move all the game files onto it which I`m working on.

I`m not looking to break the bank, I already have a state of the art desktop. I`m after something to evaluate if I can sell the game to those with lower spec systems, and if not where I need to `refine` the graphics or audio or game programming.

I like the look of those ASUS Chrome Flips but want to know the other options out there. No more than £500 please.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
Since you said a lot of word processing, I’d definitely lean towards a Lenovo Thinkpad in the pro series (T, P, or X series) simply for the lovely keyboard. I’ve been using an X1 Carbon for 5 years and it’s been very reliable. There are also heaps of them on the used market.

RaidHobbit

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2014
Since you said a lot of word processing, I’d definitely lean towards a Lenovo Thinkpad in the pro series (T, P, or X series) simply for the lovely keyboard. I’ve been using an X1 Carbon for 5 years and it’s been very reliable. There are also heaps of them on the used market.
Niceties aside (which I will look at before the final decision) what I think I`m looking at is processing power, the speed when compiling and when loading and editing audio files.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
How important is portability? H series CPUs will probably give you the best compiling performance but they tend to be chunkier and heavier than the P series in many ultrabooks and 2-in-1s. (Referring to Intel here; I’m not up to speed at the moment with mobile AMD)

Loading files is much of a muchness with regards to USB-A ports. If you meant USB-C and Thunderbolt then I guess there’s some variation there in terms of protocol.

RaidHobbit

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2014
How important is portability? H series CPUs will probably give you the best compiling performance but they tend to be chunkier and heavier than the P series in many ultrabooks and 2-in-1s. (Referring to Intel here; I’m not up to speed at the moment with mobile AMD)

Loading files is much of a muchness with regards to USB-A ports. If you meant USB-C and Thunderbolt then I guess there’s some variation there in terms of protocol.
My portable SSD is USB 3.0 not USB-C.

Do H`s only give a boost when needed or is the power drain going to be high?

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
My portable SSD is USB 3.0 not USB-C.

Do H`s only give a boost when needed or is the power drain going to be high?
I guess it depends on the power profile. I also have an Aero 5 with 12700H and it‘s pretty thrifty when using battery power. Have had it running constantly for 6 hours with just word processing and email. Once the 230W power brick is plugged in, it drinks like a fish.

Only bummer is the weight of the thing, and all the vents sucking in cat fur and sourdough crumbs. Thus the Thinkpad still being in active service for more bureaucratic work stuff.

Reactions: RaidHobbit

RaidHobbit

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2014
Are you aware that those models are Chromebooks? They don't run Windows.

I can't recommend anything decent for less that £500 but I wish you luck.
Mmm, we need to slow it down. It almost sucked me in with the H cpus.

The main aim is to test and tweak the game I`m developing on budget laptops. I want to see how much I can get out of it, and how much I need to trim down my game for laptop release.

It needs to be an integrated graphics laptop, i3/i5 or the same in AMD. I am thinking anyone with the laptop having expectations of playing games (on lower settings) is going to spend £500 on a laptop.

But I will be tweaking and developing further on the laptop too, so that complicates it. The graphics I can leave to my desktop, but will need to move them across for testing. The music, speech, and sound effects, are yet to be finalised so I have excessive amounts.

Maybe what you need is something like a MUX switch based laptop. It will have an iGPU for standard screen stuff, but then switch to a more powerful dGPU 'm' version. You can choose which GPU is active anf test both.

You're prob looking at something like this: https://nanoreview.net/en/laptop-list/gaming-mux-switch

I'd select something with a decent proc, and midrange dGPU. SO like a RTX3050ti/4050/4060 and processors like the Ultra 7 or 13th Gen i7 -13650HX.

With one of those laptops, you could test with the iGPU (basic laptops), the dGPU being a midrange 4050/4060, and then a strong enough processor that you could turn off cores to test the CPU (Like 12th/13th Gen Intel.). And finally on your desktop. So 3 data points, with two machines.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
Okay, just for the fun of it I tried searching UK retailers for a new 500GBP laptop that meets your mission criteria - and honestly there isn't much to choose from. We're talking U-series CPU, 12th generation or older, integrated graphics only, and 16GB RAM if you're really lucky.

With this retailer, this AMD one was the only model with 16BG RAM at that budget. Another retailer also sells an AMD one with 16GB RAM. There are many more with 8GB RAM but I'd be hesitant to get one of these even for basic office productivity in Windows 11.

I suppose they represent your average mum and dad laptop purchased from a chain store retailer though - presumably your target market for your game development.