New Latitude D800 security concerns

I just got a new Latitude D800. Very happy with it so far but it's
given me a few new things to think about.

I currently have a four computer wired home network. I intend to use
the D800 for wireless access at home and away from home so
I'll soon be going to a wireless/wired router to accommodate the
entire home network. I've seen recommendations to install a software
firewall on every computer in the network in addition to the hardware
firewall in the router as protection against worms etc. that may be
picked up by the notebook when it's used away from home and then
potentially infecting the home network when re-connected. My
question:

Wouldn't it be enough to equip only the notebook with the software
firewall? Wouldn't it be redundant to use the same software firewall
on ALL the computers when any worms (hopefully) would be caught by the
first line of defense in the notebook?

I hope this question makes sense. Thanks very much for any advice.

In article <cmeiu0pvnk6ra84enfq6gboh31ercgm450@4ax.com>, sallydog-rem-
@cox.net says...

> I just got a new Latitude D800. Very happy with it so far but it's
> given me a few new things to think about.

<snippety>

Well, lessee... Some advice for wireless networks, based on my own
experiences...

(1) Do NOT use WEP. It has been cracked six ways from Sunday. Get
equipment that is WPA-compatible, and USE it! Your WPA passphrase should
be a MINIMUM of 25 characters.

(2) Turn off SSID broadcasting.

(3) Do not leave the default SSID in place. Change it to something
unique to your network.

In regards to the software firewall: I've found Agnitum Outpost Pro
to be very effective. It's shareware, runs about $35-$40, and can be had
at http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/

Enjoy. Keep the peace(es).

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 08:17:38 -0800, Dave Smith <sallydog-rem-@cox.net> wrote:
> I currently have a four computer wired home network. I intend to use
> the D800 for wireless access at home and away from home so
> I'll soon be going to a wireless/wired router to accommodate the
> entire home network. I've seen recommendations to install a software
> firewall on every computer in the network in addition to the hardware
> firewall in the router as protection against worms etc. that may be
> picked up by the notebook when it's used away from home and then
> potentially infecting the home network when re-connected. My
> question:

> Wouldn't it be enough to equip only the notebook with the software
> firewall? Wouldn't it be redundant to use the same software firewall
> on ALL the computers when any worms (hopefully) would be caught by the
> first line of defense in the notebook?

Reasons to have both firewalls:

1. Defense in depth. Any one component, including a firewall, can
fail. If you have two, you still won't get compromised.

2. Misconfigurations. You might misconfigure one or the other, or
even both, but you're not likely to misconfigure them both the same
way. Thus one will stop bad stuff.

3. Short outages for either firewall. When upgrading a firewall
(software or firmware/hardware), there may be short outages with no
firewall. It may turn off the old one before completing the
installation of the new. In that case, the other firewall still
protects you.

4. A firewall away from home. Since this is a laptop, there will be
times when you connect it to someone else's network. For this reason
alone, it must have it's own firewall.

5. Different policies. Your individual computers might allow traffic
between them that you'd never allow from the internet. This concept
is so difficult to set up with Windows PC firewalls that I don't
suggest you actually try it, but it's important in a work setting.
It's especially difficult to set up with Windows laptops since it
might need different firewalls i different situations.

6. Intruders behind the router's firewall. Since you're going
wireless, it's slightly more likely that some intruder will get on
your local network. In that case, only the individual machine's
firewall will protect you.

I have two firewalls both a work and at home. I strongly support
using two.

--
Dale Dellutri <ddelQQQlutr@panQQQix.com> (lose the Q's)

Pelle

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

"Dave Smith" <sallydog-rem-@cox.net> skrev i meddelandet
>I just got a new Latitude D800. Very happy with it so far but it's
> given me a few new things to think about.
>
> I currently have a four computer wired home network. I intend to use
> the D800 for wireless access at home and away from home so
> I'll soon be going to a wireless/wired router to accommodate the
> entire home network. I've seen recommendations to install a software
> firewall on every computer in the network in addition to the hardware
> firewall in the router as protection against worms etc. that may be
> picked up by the notebook when it's used away from home and then
> potentially infecting the home network when re-connected. My
> question:
>
> Wouldn't it be enough to equip only the notebook with the software
> firewall? Wouldn't it be redundant to use the same software firewall
> on ALL the computers when any worms (hopefully) would be caught by the
> first line of defense in the notebook?
>
> I hope this question makes sense. Thanks very much for any advice.

So u gota D800 im going to buy a D800 or a Inspiron 8600....do u know
if the chassis of the two is the same? heard its bi metal in the
latitude and plastic in the inspiron....is that true?

Pelle