‫‪Asus‬‬ ‫‪H110M-K‬‬
‫‪Intel‬‬ ‫‪Core-‬‬ ‫‪i5‬‬
‫‪8Gb‬‬ ‫‪DDR4‬‬ ‫‪Crucial‬‬
‫‪1Tb‬‬ ‫‪Seagate‬‬
‫‪250Gb‬‬ ‫‪SSD‬‬ ‫‪Samsung‬‬
‫‪500w‬‬
‫‪DVDRW‬‬ ‫‪Sata‬‬

Price: $750

The "labels" for these are in Hebrew, as we are in Israel, but you can see what is what. The 500w label is "case and USB ports". This machine is just for work, which entails email/browsing/text editing and a bit of light web development on my workstation. I don't do heavy graphic work or play games. I can spend up to $1K.

I think I need to get the details of the box and power supply as he didn't send those. I think I also need the model of the hard disks, as I think it makes a difference. Any other questions I should be asking?

Solution
$750, at least in US prices is a bit high for a standard use setup with an unknown CPU and power supply.

You can get a $200 used 3rd or 4th gen i5 system and it will run just about as well with Linux and non-demanding use. Maybe with a $60 swap to a solid state drive.

This is a build I did for my father, you can remove the video card and drop the power supply by about $10 for a basic use setup. Would just need to add about $100 then for the SSD. https://secure.newegg.com/Wishlist/PublicWishlistDetail?ID=28225769&&cm_mmc=snc-email-_-sr-_-wishlist-28225769-_-05/31/2018

kanewolf

Titan
The H110 motherboard means a 6th or 7th generation CPU. The 8th gen CPUs are available and the H370 and B360 motherboards have been out for a month or so.

I would find out the EXACT model of the CPU. "Core i5" covers more than a dozen models...

Also make sure the RAM is two 4GB DIMMs and not a single 8GB DIMM. You lose a lot of memory performance (1/2) with just a single DIMM.

Most Linux distros are pretty darn snappy/responsive even using 10 year old systems....especially w/ an SSD.

Hopefully you can snag a 7500/7600 in it....

(It'd be nice to have a PSU with a name you've at least heard of, however, but, with prebuilts, you rarely get everything you wish)...)

Enjoy the rig, Sir!

$750, at least in US prices is a bit high for a standard use setup with an unknown CPU and power supply.

You can get a $200 used 3rd or 4th gen i5 system and it will run just about as well with Linux and non-demanding use. Maybe with a $60 swap to a solid state drive.

This is a build I did for my father, you can remove the video card and drop the power supply by about $10 for a basic use setup. Would just need to add about $100 then for the SSD. https://secure.newegg.com/Wishlist/PublicWishlistDetail?ID=28225769&&cm_mmc=snc-email-_-sr-_-wishlist-28225769-_-05/31/2018

Solution

TomThumbTheThird

Reputable
Aug 25, 2015
MERGED QUESTION
Question from TomThumbTheThird : "New Linux Workstation"

A local dealer (here in Israel), who comes recommended, is offering me:

• Case from Tzag Elita and it's this model: https://tinyurl.com/ybtssaav (page is in English)
    500 W power supply also from Tzag Elita
    ASUS H110M-R
    Intel Core i7 -7700
    DDR4 8G 2400MH crucial\sp
    SAMSUNG EVO860 SSD 250G (for system files)
    Seagate BarraCuda ST1000DM010 1TB 64MB Cache (for data)
    LG DVD
price: $750 and comes with one year on-site warranty from the local dealer.

This machine is just for work, which entails email/browsing/text editing and a bit of light web development and simple image manipulation. I don't do heavy graphic work or play games. I can spend up to $1K.

I have no Bluetooth devices and external USB card readers I already have.

I have two LG IPS 231 monitors and this Mobo seems to have USB 3.0 and two graphic outputs, which is OK. I use an adaptor for one monitor as it is and that works fine.

How does this all sound?