[SOLVED] New m.2 clone it?

AlmostDone

Prominent
Jul 9, 2019
Guys i have 250gb m.2 that was my main disk and have windows and all the main stuff and know i upgraded and buyed one more m.2 with 500gb! I want to send all data to 500gb and let my 250gb for some stuff or only OS! Solutions for this ?

It all depends on compatibility. You may have 2 m.2 slots, but are they both comparable with your SSDs? Can they both be used simultaneously? You will need to verify with motherboard owners manual.

If you don’t have 2 m.2 slots, you can buy a m.2 to SATA converter (quality varies).

If you can get both drives working in your computer, then moving data is easy.

What was the make/model of the new 500gb ssd?
If it was samsung, use their free ssd mover utility.
Other ssd vendors may have something similar.
If you do not have a second m.2 slot on your motherboard, a usb to m.2 pcie adapter is not expensive.

popatim

Titan
Cloning won't work since you wish to keep the 250 as the OS disk.

Actual data , like documents, music, pics, vids... just copy and past into the new location on the new ssd. Make sure they all copied over correctly and then delete them from the old ssd. I strongly suggest making a backup of anything important first.

Games that use a launcher app, such as steam & origin, can be moved to the other disk simply by creating a location (folder) for them and then adding the folder to the apps library location. Steam has a built in 'move game' function. Origin I'm not sure one but there are youtubes on what to do. (I dont use origin)

As for other programs that use dedicated installers, such as office, you will need to uninstall them and then reinstall them to the new SSD. or just leave them where they are, they usually aren't that big.

USAFRet

Titan
So i can move all things manually except OS like games and programms and etc its okay for the new disk?
Depends on what you mean by "all things".
You cannot move 'programs'.
You can move Steam games easily.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder

USAFRet

Titan
One more question how do i make that future installs and stuff go to the new disk?
For application installs, you do that when you install something.
Don't let it do its default...select Custom or Advanced. It will let you choose where.
Steam games, you can designate the second drive as the Default.
For downloads through the browser, simply change the default location. This is in Options.

Do NOT do any regedit foolishness you might find to force everything to go to the second drive. Tears will result.