[SOLVED] New M.2 NVMe SSD not recognized by BIOS or Windows installer ?

Sep 9, 2021
I need some help and I've gone through every troubleshoot I can but I can't fix it so maybe someone here can help?

My issue is that my recently purchased rocket Sabrent 4.0 plus 2TB NVMe SSD stopped being detected by my pc. (note when the drive arrived I plugged it into my pc and it detected it just fine and installed windows onto it, furthermore I didn't have the nvme standoff screw so it was just dangling in there. I removed the nvme SSD after 1-2 hours of usage because Windows corrupted itself so I took it out, to wait until my standoff screws arrived) When the standoff screws arrived I installed the nvme again but it couldn't be detected by my system anymore (not in bios and or by windows installer) And no the nvme is NOT fried as it comes up perfectly on my laptop.

System specs
Trident z 16gb ram 3200mhz
AMD 1700x
asus prime x470 pro
NVME rocket sabrent 4.0 plus 2TB

Troubleshooting steps:

• Updated bios to the latest
  • CMOS reset millions of times
  • Lurked in the bios for hours playing with settings - yes this includes csm, uefi stuff
  • did a clean cmd on the nvme with diskpart (using the cmd prompt in windows installer on my laptop)
  • purchased a nvme pcie adaptor to test it in my pc (no luck) ((Silver stone ECM24))
  • I've also tried plugging the nvme that came with my laptop into the pc and no luck either, nothing detected
If someone can suggest any further troubleshoots I can do, or inform me whether I've fried something on my mobo or cpu would be great.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
Yep one of the first few troubleshoots I did
It could be the motherboard or the cpu, you should try the cpu and ssd on another motherboard, and if it worked with no problem, could be a motherboard issues, but if you're trying another nvme ssd and it worked, then the ssd faulty it is.
I need some help and I've gone through every troubleshoot I can but I can't fix it so maybe someone here can help?

My issue is that my recently purchased rocket Sabrent 4.0 plus 2TB NVMe SSD stopped being detected by my pc. (note when the drive arrived I plugged it into my pc and it detected it just fine and installed windows onto it, furthermore I didn't have the nvme standoff screw so it was just dangling in there. I removed the nvme SSD after 1-2 hours of usage because Windows corrupted itself so I took it out, to wait until my standoff screws arrived) When the standoff screws arrived I installed the nvme again but it couldn't be detected by my system anymore (not in bios and or by windows installer) And no the nvme is NOT fried as it comes up perfectly on my laptop.

System specs
Trident z 16gb ram 3200mhz
AMD 1700x asus prime x470 pro
NVME rocket sabrent 4.0 plus 2TB

Troubleshooting steps:

• Updated bios to the latest
  • CMOS reset millions of times
  • Lurked in the bios for hours playing with settings - yes this includes csm, uefi stuff
  • did a clean cmd on the nvme with diskpart (using the cmd prompt in windows installer on my laptop)
  • purchased a nvme pcie adaptor to test it in my pc (no luck) ((Silver stone ECM24))
  • I've also tried plugging the nvme that came with my laptop into the pc and no luck either, nothing detected
If someone can suggest any further troubleshoots I can do, or inform me whether I've fried something on my mobo or cpu would be great.

Thanks!
Tried to update to the latest bios yet

Sep 9, 2021
Yes I have tried troubleshoot it in the second slot knowing that it only supports sata drive but with no luck, the first slot (closest to the cpu) doesn't work either. Furthermore purchasing a pcie adaptor card to try the nvme no luck either.

Sep 9, 2021
I currently have no other motherboard to test whether its a faulty mobo/cpu, so I'm contemplating whether I should upgrade to the latest 5900x and a b550 mobo and hopes it fixes the issue, but I'm not willing to spend if I can fix my current issue.

I've tried another nvme ssd (one came with my laptop, I think its a samsung one) into the mobo didn't recognise, I've tried the rocket sabrent ssd in my laptop and it worked fine