[SOLVED] New m.2 ssd isn't showing up

Dec 15, 2019
Hi All,

Recently purchased Intel 2TB SSD, 660P, M.2-2280 PCIe NVMe however when I plug it in its not showing up in disk management or BIOS.

PC details:
Metabox Prime P650RE
15.6" FHD 1920x1080 IPS WVA Matte 60Hz LED
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M with 6GB GDDR5
Intel Core i7-6820HK Processor (8M Cache up to 3.60 GHz)
16GB DDR4 2400MHZ (1 x 16GB)
Intel 540S 480GB SATA 3 M.2 SSD
No Secondary M.2 SSD Drive - Optional Upgrade
1TB 5400RPM HDD
Intel 8260 AC Dual Band WIFI/BT
No Optical Disc Drive - Optional Upgrade
Win 10 Professional 64BIT License & Media - Installed & Ready-Out-Of-The-Box
Processor from sys info is: P65_P67RGRERA

Can anyone help me? I've tried switching the m.2 drives around and it still won't show up.

Solution
That's what I was going to say is that many older systems had dual M.2 slots, but only ONE of them was compatible with PCI M.2 while the other had to be SATA M.2, and they look the same so you have to KNOW in order to know. And the only way to know, for sure, is to get access to the user manual or motherboard specifications. Seems really weird that I can find everything for that laptop, drivers, firmware, but no manual. Maybe I'm missing something. If you find it, let me know.

Is your existing M.2 drive a PCI or SATA M.2 drive? Also, it's possible that both slots support PCI M.2 (NVME) but that they don't support it on both AT THE SAME TIME. They might support SATA and PCIe M.2 drives, but there could be any combination of ways in...
Looks to me like one of those SSDs is installed upside down. See the one with the sticker facing UP, that one is right. The other one, I see no sticker, so it's either been removed or is facing the wrong direction AND if it's facing the wrong direction and you've powered on the system, then it's probably already cooked. Verify whether it IS or is NOT facing the wrong way first, because my guess is that it 100% IS. Plus, is this some kind of laptop, because it sure looks like a laptop configuration, or is it an AIO type unit? What is the model of the ACTUAL BOX/computer itself? That should be on a sticker on the outside of the unit somewhere.

Dec 15, 2019
Yeah it is a laptop. It's a Metabox Prime P650RE. Yes the HDD is upside down. I originally tried it in the other slot with both stickers facing up and it would not recognise the new SSD so i switched them around. but the other way it would fit in was upside down ;/ (didn;t think it would matter). I have powered it on unfortunately as well. How do I know if i've stuffed it? Is there a chance t was stuffed before I did this because it wasn't working before hand.

You're talking about the M.2 SSD, not the HDD, right? Let's be clear, there is no room for miscommunications when it comes to calling hardware by name. Too confusing. Too much chance for error. So I'll assume you are talking about the SSD.

What we need to figure out for sure, is whether or not that M.2 slot even SUPPORTS an NVME M.2 drive, because many of them only support SATA M.2 drives. Some support both, and some support ONLY NVME PCI M.2 drives. We have to know the specs from the motherboard or user manual, and I can't find information on either of them, looking at the Metabox website.

Dec 15, 2019
You're talking about the M.2 SSD, not the HDD, right? Let's be clear, there is no room for miscommunications when it comes to calling hardware by name. Too confusing. Too much chance for error. So I'll assume you are talking about the SSD.

What we need to figure out for sure, is whether or not that M.2 slot even SUPPORTS an NVME M.2 drive, because many of them only support SATA M.2 drives. Some support both, and some support ONLY NVME PCI M.2 drives. We have to know the specs from the motherboard or user manual, and I can't find information on either of them, looking at the Metabox website.

Yeah sorry. I am strictly talking about the M.2 SSDs. Yeah I had the same issue however I did note that when I go into BIOS there is a mention of PCLe/NVME so I am fairly sure it is compatible (can't remember exactly what it said but it was saying it wasn't recognised but I will take a picture when i get home). I have also emailed Metabox to confirm that it is MVME compatible. From memory when I read the user manual only one slot was compatible but it didn't say which one. (https://www.metabox.com.au/drivers.asp - select P650RE and there is a user manual that is downloadable and I have model A). When I get home after work I will remove both drives and take pictures of the slots. The new SSD fit into slot 2 the correct way up so I assumed that was the correct slot. And my existing m.2 drive works in both. So i feel like something is either wrong with the SSD or with the 2nd slot.

That's what I was going to say is that many older systems had dual M.2 slots, but only ONE of them was compatible with PCI M.2 while the other had to be SATA M.2, and they look the same so you have to KNOW in order to know. And the only way to know, for sure, is to get access to the user manual or motherboard specifications. Seems really weird that I can find everything for that laptop, drivers, firmware, but no manual. Maybe I'm missing something. If you find it, let me know.

Is your existing M.2 drive a PCI or SATA M.2 drive? Also, it's possible that both slots support PCI M.2 (NVME) but that they don't support it on both AT THE SAME TIME. They might support SATA and PCIe M.2 drives, but there could be any combination of ways in which the lane structure is configured for support so it's all guesswork without something concrete to look at.

Solution
Dec 15, 2019

Is your existing M.2 drive a PCI or SATA M.2 drive? Also, it's possible that both slots support PCI M.2 (NVME) but that they don't support it on both AT THE SAME TIME. They might support SATA and PCIe M.2 drives, but there could be any combination of ways in which the lane structure is configured for support so it's all guesswork without something concrete to look at.

Hey so i heard back from Metabox and your right. The only way it will read the PCI m.2 is without the other m.2 drive in. So i tested this and when I went into bios and when into detect PCI device and it showed this..
View: https://imgur.com/a/wm38WK0

So it looks like it is being recognised and it is not ruined (i think) phew. So plan now is to create a recovery drive and install windows on that and then go from there. Annoying thing now is I need to remove all the stuff on my m.2 500gb to another drive so I can copy it back once I install windows again. I assume recovery drive option is the best way to go about this?

Thanks again for your help and i'd love if you can confirm if that screenshot looks like the SSD is all good.