New M.2 SSD not showing up anywhere

Kappta

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015
Hey guys, today I got a new M.2 SSD from Intel, the Intel 535 M.2 360GB. I put it in the slot, went to the BIOS and enabled the M.2 mode.

Now, I tried to install Windows on it but when I get to the part where you choose where you want to install it, the drive is not there. It's also not showing up in the disk management tool.

Any ideas of what I can do next?

I have a Z97-AR motherboard
i5 4690k

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
1 x M.2 Socket 3, , with M Key, type 2260/2280 storage devices support (PCIE mode)

The Intel 535 M.2 is a SATA interface drive.

Kappta

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015

No because it's not being detected.

The program doesn't detect the SSD aswell.

Why you cannot see the drive it`s self will be down to the Sata mode type selected in the bios.
It will also be the case as to why any existing SSD drive connected via any sata port of the motherboard is not seen.

If you look at the bios the mode set for Sata ports should be set to AHCI mode.
If it is set to sata.

And the first SSD drive was setup using that interface mode.

What you need to do is run the windows install and setup again.
When you reach the page where it asks you to select a drive to install and setup windows os on.
Look over to the top left at the bottom of the window where it says add driver.
The M.2 based drive should of come with a driver disk for it.

click on add driver.
And remove the windows Dvd os setup disk, and insert the M.2 driver disk.
Click on browse for driver and navigate to the new disk in the dvd drive.
You should see a driver for the M.2 device, select it then click apply or ok.

With a bit of luck windows should install the M.2 driver.
And the selection window to select a hard drive should refresh showing the M.2 storage device.
Swap the Dvd disk back over to the windows install and setup disk in the dvd drive.

Then click the next button, tab on windows installer to start the clean setup and installation on you M.2 storage device.

Kappn

Commendable
Oct 29, 2016

Win 10 x64.

And no I don't.

I read online and a lot of people have this problem because of the mobo. I decided to return it and get a regular ssd instead. I lose some storage but atleast I know it will work.

Thanks everyone for helping out.

rgd1101

Don't
1 x M.2 Socket 3, , with M Key, type 2260/2280 storage devices support (PCIE mode)

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Dec 4, 2019

Created an account just to say thank you. I've been searching for hours to the answer to my second NMVe SSD not showing up when plugged into the PCIe slot. I didn't realize my motherboard only supports storage for one NVMe SSD.