New Mainboard (Asrock H97m Pro4) wont recognize HDDs

DeeAsTea

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015
My friend put a USB device into a broken USB slot on my pc, which caused the computer to crash and not restart again. This had happened before, but this time there were no digits showing up on my mainboard anymore. (that dr. debug thing, on asrock x58 extreme) With my layman knowledge i assumed there was some short circuit which caused the mainboard to die... somehow.
So i got myself a new mainboard and processor (because my old first gen cpu isnt supported by current mobos anymore)

An asrock h97m pro4
With an intel core i7 4790 processor

After installing the new hardware into my pc i launched it and what showed up was "BOOTMGR is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart", which i did, ending in the same result.
I went into the bios to check the options to boot from and it only displayed one of my two HDDs. I restarted and pressed F11 to get to the "boot menu", where my second HDD was showing up. Not knowing on which HDD i had my windows installed on, i tried both drives. One resulting in the same "BOOTMGR missing" error and the other in asking me if i want to start windows normally or to repair it. (which makes this the windows drive, i guess?) I went with repairing and restarted the pc. (I had to boot from the boot menu (f11), because the bootmgr error was showing up again.) Then the windows loading screen appeared, the screen froze, bluescreen appeared (too short to write down any numbers) and restarted again.
Next time it asked me again to start normally or to repair. I choose repair and did a system recovery. The only difference this made, was that the blue screen wasnt showing up anymore, but the pc still freezing at the windows loading screen and then restarting.
So i created a USB recovery drive to repair windows, but when i had to choose my windows drive to repair, no HDD was recognized. I had the option to point to a driver on my HDDs, at which point i had access to both of my HDDs and they both seemed unchanged and complete, but i wouldnt know of any drivers i had on my pc.
I checked for drivers for my HDDs and my mainboard, only found some for my mainboard, but i dont know which one to install LINK

So the facts in short:

-New mainboard only detects one (the one without windows) of my two HDDs in BIOS, but recognizes both in the "Boot Menu (F11)"
-When trying to boot from windows drive, pc crashes at the windows loading screen
-Data on HDD seems to be still there, so im guessing there may be some broken system files (?)
-Tried stratup repair, system recovery without results
Specs:
-Windows 7
-Mobo: Asrock H97m Pro4
-HDDs: Hitachi Deskstar (PDF)

I'd be really thankful for your help

Dan

EDIT: I also tried different sata cables and inputs

bonou2

Reputable
Mar 8, 2014
Windows shows a blue screen / restart during the Windows start up, because you changed the mainboard. Sometimes the computer reboots and startups fine, but some times it doesn't because there are conflicts between the installed drivers and the newly installed hardware.

Check if you have any data before formatting the HDD, if you have perform a data backup first, then reinstall windows (complete format and not upgrade or Windows repair).

ArichieR06

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016
omg thank god finnaly i just got my computer and the same thing. well sorta. if you could read this and help me out?:::

(this is a letter i wrote to a tech guy)

o I just built my gaming pc yesterday, and I went to boot it up and it seemed fine. but then I went to download windows and there was no signal from my hard drive. so i plugged everything in again to make sure and it still diddnt work. I tried using different SATA cables and it was still broken. The weird thing is that when i plug in the SATA power cable I can hear it (the HDD) booting up and the disks inside
spinning. It just dosnt connect in the BIOS menu that comes with the motherboard. My motherboard is an ASRock. If you think you could fix it that would be great. (The bios dosnt come up if the HDD is not in, but it does when i plug it in, but the HDD itself still dosnt work...... WEIRDDDDDD)

Thanks alot