[SOLVED] New Mainboard won't post. PSU at fault?

Jun 22, 2020
Hi there,
I hope asking for troubleshooting-advice here is okay. If not, my apologies.
I tried to do a few upgrades to my potato-pc:
  • Pentium E5700 => AMD Ryzen 3 2200G
  • Acer eg31m v. 1.1 => MSI B450M PRO-M2 V2
  • 2x2 GB DDR2 => 2x8 GB DDR4
Powered by:
  • PSU: ADVANCE MPT-5002 (250W)
I bought the new pieces used. After the assembly, I did not get the build to post, sadly. Fans whirring, no beep.
So I did all the usual troubleshooting. Ruled out faulty CPU. Ruled out faulty RAM. Ruled out shorted Mainboard. No success.
Eventually I figured it's probably the mainboard. After all it was used and was repackaged and sent to me. And god knows if my tries of resetting CMOS where successful. So I sent the board back and bought a new one. But, alas, new mainboard, old problem: Fans whirring, no beep, no post.
So my question is: what else could be the problem?! Could it really be the PSU? It's a little on the older side (~6 years, not too heavy use) and only gives 250W, but I figured that should still be enough to get the Mainboard, CPU, GPU and 1 SSD to post. Or not?
Any ideas? :/

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I should mention that my PC ran "fine" with my old specc.

Solution
First that PSU should be thrown away as quickly as possible and never used on a modern PC. While is is "only" 6 years old, from the data I have seen the platform is FAR older. I think that PSU was designed back in the early 2000s. The 3.3V & 5V rail have more amps on them than the 12V rail. It won't have any modern protections or support any CPU sleep states newer than like 2005. Knowing all this it is likely that the PSU just isn't compatible with the modern systems. What is your budget for a new PSU and in what country?
First that PSU should be thrown away as quickly as possible and never used on a modern PC. While is is "only" 6 years old, from the data I have seen the platform is FAR older. I think that PSU was designed back in the early 2000s. The 3.3V & 5V rail have more amps on them than the 12V rail. It won't have any modern protections or support any CPU sleep states newer than like 2005. Knowing all this it is likely that the PSU just isn't compatible with the modern systems. What is your budget for a new PSU and in what country?

Solution
Hi there,
I hope asking for troubleshooting-advice here is okay. If not, my apologies.
I tried to do a few upgrades to my potato-pc:
  • Pentium E5700 => AMD Ryzen 3 2200G
  • Acer eg31m v. 1.1 => MSI B450M PRO-M2 V2
  • 2x2 GB DDR2 => 2x8 GB DDR4
Powered by:
  • PSU: ADVANCE MPT-5002 (250W)
I bought the new pieces used. After the assembly, I did not get the build to post, sadly. Fans whirring, no beep.
So I did all the usual troubleshooting. Ruled out faulty CPU. Ruled out faulty RAM. Ruled out shorted Mainboard. No success.
Eventually I figured it's probably the mainboard. After all it was used and was repackaged and sent to me. And god knows if my tries of resetting CMOS where successful. So I sent the board back and bought a new one. But, alas, new mainboard, old problem: Fans whirring, no beep, no post.
So my question is: what else could be the problem?! Could it really be the PSU? It's a little on the older side (~6 years, not too heavy use) and only gives 250W, but I figured that should still be enough to get the Mainboard, CPU, GPU and 1 SSD to post. Or not?
Any ideas? :/

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I should mention that my PC ran "fine" with my old specc.
If the PSU work in your old system but not in new systems, that's simple. The PSU doesn't compatible with your new systems.

Jun 22, 2020
That is some good advice. Thank you. I was not aware of that. I would like to get a new PSU for 50-60€ in Germany. Is there anything important I should look out for?
If the PSU work in your old system but not in new systems, that's simple. The PSU doesn't compatible with your new systems.
Yeah well, but it's not "obvious", that the PSU is at fault. I´ve been exchanging 4 components and left pretty much only the PSU, I would not say that guarantees that the PSU is incompatible.

That is some good advice. Thank you. I was not aware of that. I would like to get a new PSU for 50-60€ in Germany. Is there anything important I should look out for?

Yeah well, but it's not "obvious", that the PSU is at fault. I´ve been exchanging 4 components and left pretty much only the PSU, I would not say that guarantees that the PSU is incompatible.
The absolute cheapest PSU I can find that is of decent or better quality is this: https://www.alternate.de/Cooler-Mas...1_1592838598_50f1494768da7d3279f1caf1c0cdd5b1

For a little extra money after shipping on the above PSU you can get this which is even better: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0775QFP8F?tag=pcp05-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

After the BitFenix you get into the 80 Euro range for anything decent.

Jun 22, 2020
The absolute cheapest PSU I can find that is of decent or better quality is this: https://www.alternate.de/Cooler-Mas...1_1592838598_50f1494768da7d3279f1caf1c0cdd5b1

For a little extra money after shipping on the above PSU you can get this which is even better: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0775QFP8F?tag=pcp05-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

After the BitFenix you get into the 80 Euro range for anything decent.

Thank you for that. Could you explain to me what makes a PSU "decent"? Just so I avoid buying crap in the future.

Thank you for that. Could you explain to me what makes a PSU "decent"? Just so I avoid buying crap in the future.
Build quality, components used, protections, how modern it is. The problem is it can be hard to find decent PSUs if you don't know what you are looking for. Here is some reading for an idea on decent or better PSUs. https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...t-to-avoid-and-psu-discussion-thread.3212332/
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/recommended-psu-to-buy.3603290/#post-21736677
One thing to remember is that if you cannot find reviews of a product, there is probably a good reason for that. I look for PSU reviews from jonnyguru.com, tomshardware.com, & kitguru.net in that order. Asking questions on forums like this also is a good idea as members will help out as well.