New memory dead?

21brian12

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
Hi, I just recently purchased some new memory for my ancient p3 667. When I install the new memory I get nothing but a black screen. When I install it with the existing kingston kvr133q/128r I get a blue screen that says the computer is being shutdown to protrect it. My question is is this new kingston kvr133x64c2/256 not compatible with my computer or is it dead? I have compaq with 06coh compaq board. Im not sure about the model # of the computer, it says 5bw 5000T on the side. Funny thing is different memory manufacturers websites recommend different speed memory. Some pc100 and some pc133.
Thanks in advance

Crucial's memory configurator lists 8 models of the 5bw 5000t. You need to find 3 more numbers after 5bw to narrow it down. Crucial guarantees it's memory to work, and comes with a lifetime warranty. You might get the more precise model number using cpu-z, a free download.

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
It could be that the memory you've bought isn't compatible with your computer.Can you get a model number and make from your motherboard?Have you tried testing your existing memory with memtest?

21brian12

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
Thanks for the reply. I used crucial scanner last night and it recommended CT490161 which I bought a stick of. What I need to figure out though is if this memory I bought is dead, in which case Ill return it, or if its just not compatible in which case Ill sell it on ebay. As far as finding the 3 more numbers after 5BW Ive never been able to locate them. At one time I thought it might have been m2a but I wasnt sure. Even compaq/hp couldnt give me the specs on my computer several years back using the sn. Apparently they changed the way they do the sn's.

21brian12

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
I contacted kingston and they said the memory was incompatible due to it being high density. From what I was told the intel 810e chipset needs low density. Thanks for all the replys.