[SOLVED] New memory (of exact right spec I think) but PC won't start - old Dell Inspiron 560

lneville

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2014
I have an old Dell Inspiron 560 (guide here) . It came with 4 x 1GB memory modules and ran fine. The guide said it could support 8GB total, so I decided to buy replacement modules totalling 8GB.

The guide just says it supports "DDR3 DIMM; non-ECC memory only" which isn't completely specific, but MrMemory says it supports either "DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz 240-pin DIMM" or "DDR3 PC3-8500 1066MHz 240-pin DIMM".

I got 2 of the 2GB DDR3 PC3-8500 1066MHz modules (should have got 4 - brain fart - but maybe it was a good thing ...).

I took out all 4 1GB modules and put the 2 new 2GB modules in slots 1 and 2. The PC would not boot up - just a black screen, no beeps, nothing. Replaced them with the old 4 1GB modules and it booted OK again. I also tried 2 new 2GB modules in slots 1 and 2 and 2 old 1GB modules in slots 3 and 4, with same result.

Could it be that it actually doesn't support PC3-8500 and PC3-10600 would work? Or do all 4 slots have to be filled with identical modules perhaps?

Other memory vendors report either that it takes PC3-8500 or PC3-10600 so its not very clear.

Solution
Almost sounds like the ram might be bad? If you have another computer to test it with we could confirm but since we know the old ones work and the new ones have only generated a black screen no matter the configuration, I'd be inclined to blame the new ones

Also try just one of the new sticks in the computer. Would be curious if both sticks are bad or if just 1 is messing up everything else

lneville

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2014
Sorry for delay coming back to you. I tried the 2 x new 2GB modules in slots 1 and 3 and same result - just a black screen, no beeps.

For the 2 new and 2 old, the same result is it booted or it did not boot? I'd also be curious if the 2X2GB were put into slot 1 and slot 3 what would happen
@ajpaolello-every configuration I have tried with the new modules (different slots, mixed with 1GB modules or not) result in no boot up - just a black screen, no beeps.

Almost sounds like the ram might be bad? If you have another computer to test it with we could confirm but since we know the old ones work and the new ones have only generated a black screen no matter the configuration, I'd be inclined to blame the new ones

Also try just one of the new sticks in the computer. Would be curious if both sticks are bad or if just 1 is messing up everything else

Solution

lneville

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2014

That was it!!! I tried them one by one, and with one the PC would start and with the other it would not. Thanks! Never thought to do that test.