New Mic. Static Through Headphones

Reflecto

Prominent
Feb 19, 2017
I recently got an Audiotechnica AT2020USB. I switched to that from a Blue Yeti. The problem is I plug my headphones into the mic so I can hear my voice and things around me but there is static coming from the mic. When I wrap my hand around the mic or even just touch the mic the static stops. Any idea what is causing this problem or how I can fix it?

Solution
I would suspect a bad internal connection.

Touching the mic either redirects some electrical current internally or maybe to ground through you.....

Try another USB port. Swap out the USB cable for a know working USB cable. Try including a USB extension cable. The idea being to elimate the cable and the problem location versus internal to the microphone.

Try the Audiotechnica on another computer to see if the problem continues.

Narrow the problem down if you can by being able to create and recreate the problem at hand. Hopefully one specific component or location will be the cause.

Ralston18

Titan
I would suspect a bad internal connection.

Touching the mic either redirects some electrical current internally or maybe to ground through you.....

Try another USB port. Swap out the USB cable for a know working USB cable. Try including a USB extension cable. The idea being to elimate the cable and the problem location versus internal to the microphone.

Try the Audiotechnica on another computer to see if the problem continues.

Narrow the problem down if you can by being able to create and recreate the problem at hand. Hopefully one specific component or location will be the cause.

Solution