Question New mid-level custom PC build for my home office? Advice?

Jan 7, 2022
Hi Everyone,
I am planning to build my first PC and have never done it before. I am a newbie, but am one of those people who can do most things as long as I get some direction and start out with good equipment that just works. I do not play games on my PC, so it is mostly for internet, playing with my Unifi Network and maybe some future 3D design and printing.
I realize anything I am about to list may be overkill, but I am doing it for the fun, experience and cool factor. I am planning on a max budget of around $1200 US, including two SSD's and a new copy on Win 10. I already have a Corsair iCUE 4000x case and a corsair 850x psu. My biggest issue is that I keep flip flopping back and forth between the AMD 5 5600G and the i5-12600K and the motherboard that will work the best with them without breaking the bank. I also wonder if I should go with the 11th gen instead. I think a max budget of $300 for the MOB is good. I don't want to buy a GPU right now, so I want integrated graphics. My fear with the intel 12th gen is that because it is so new, that it will be riddled with firmware issues and that is the last thing I want to deal with. I also fear firmware issues or conflicts if I pick a crappy MOB for either of the processors. What do you all recommend in the motherboard/CPU department? AMD or Intel? Asus, MSI or Gigabyte and which model MOBO would you use? Thank you.

Last edited:
My fear with the intel 12th gen is that because it is so new, that it will be riddled with firmware issues and that is the last thing I want to deal with.
the only complaints i had heard regarding 12th gen was some applications and some games having issue with the new types of cores and their sharing of processing data.
but most software developers will be working tirelessly to fix this issue, if they haven't already.

If you don't have overclocking on your mind on the Intel platform, you should be able to get a B660 series motherboard and save maybe 50 to 100 bucks that you could spend elsewhere on the PC.

Probably no over-riding reason to use Windows Pro rather than Windows Home.

Reactions: Why_Me
Jan 7, 2022
If you don't have overclocking on your mind on the Intel platform, you should be able to get a B660 series motherboard and save maybe 50 to 100 bucks that you could spend elsewhere on the PC.

Probably no over-riding reason to use Windows Pro rather than Windows Home.
That's the thing, I don't know anything about overclocking the CPU, but as I get better, I may want to play with it. You can $50 yourself to death......you know.....ah, what's fifty more, I should get the next one up. And then you say to yourself, for a $100 I can get this one, which is even better and then before you know it, you are at $800 for your MOB! But I want to hit that sweetspot, where the MOB is good and considered a winner by those in the know

Jan 7, 2022
the only complaints i had heard regarding 12th gen was some applications and some games having issue with the new types of cores and their sharing of processing data.
but most software developers will be working tirelessly to fix this issue, if they haven't already.
I read about that, but I don't game so less of a concern unless it affects a regular program.

That's the thing, I don't know anything about overclocking the CPU, but as I get better, I may want to play with it. You can $50 yourself to death......you know.....ah, what's fifty more, I should get the next one up. And then you say to yourself, for a $100 I can get this one, which is even better and then before you know it, you are at $800 for your MOB! But I want to hit that sweetspot, where the MOB is good and considered a winner by those in the know

If you want to overclock, you'll need a Z690 motherboard on Intel.

However..............there seems to be fewer and fewer reasons to overclock in recent generations of Intel CPUs. Less interest due to built-in capabilities of the recent processors.

But you may want to play with it as a hobbyist or experimenter.....if so, get a Z board.

It would be low on my list of priorities.

Try to avoid spinning drives entirely.

Probably go with air cooling rather than liquid.

Probably go with 16 GB of DDR 4 RAM. No over-riding reason to go with DDR5 yet.

Jan 7, 2022
If you want to overclock, you'll need a Z690 motherboard on Intel.

However..............there seems to be fewer and fewer reasons to overclock in recent generations of Intel CPUs. Less interest due to built-in capabilities of the recent processors.

But you may want to play with it as a hobbyist or experimenter.....if so, get a Z board.

It would be low on my list of priorities.

Try to avoid spinning drives entirely.

Probably go with air cooling rather than liquid.

Probably go with 16 GB of DDR 4 RAM. No over-riding reason to go with DDR5 yet.
Do you have a particular model board to go with each of the brand CPU's. For example, I was thinking an MSI Z690 Tomahawk for intel or the Asus X570 TUF Gaming for the AMD? Any good? And definitely not DDR5 yet.

Boards are something of a crap shoot regarding reliability and avoiding headaches. You can read reviews if you think you can separate the wheat from the chaff.....avoid brand idolatry.

A lot of what you will read will be anecdotes and nearly useless. There are horror stories about all brands. Sheer bad luck can over-ride the hundred hours you spent on research.

Look for the features you need....how many USB ports; what type of monitor connections; how many case fan connectors; how many M.2 ports, etc.

Consider the vendor. Some have superior return privileges.

Cross your fingers; I wouldn't get in a lather about it beyond that.

I'm going to use Gigabyte only because I had decent luck with one a few years back....that's an anecdote. Ignore it.

You can likely save money by getting a micro ATX board rather than full ATX if you don't need a bunch of slots.

Hi Everyone,
I am planning to build my first PC and have never done it before. I am a newbie, but am one of those people who can do most things as long as I get some direction and start out with good equipment that just works. I do not play games on my PC, so it is mostly for internet, playing with my Unifi Network and maybe some future 3D design and printing.
I realize anything I am about to list may be overkill, but I am doing it for the fun, experience and cool factor. I am planning on a max budget of around $1200 US, including two SSD's and a new copy on Win 10. I already have a Corsair iCUE 4000x case and a corsair 850x psu. My biggest issue is that I keep flip flopping back and forth between the AMD 5 5600G and the i5-12600K and the motherboard that will work the best with them without breaking the bank. I also wonder if I should go with the 11th gen instead. I think a max budget of $300 for the MOB is good. I don't want to buy a GPU right now, so I want integrated graphics. My fear with the intel 12th gen is that because it is so new, that it will be riddled with firmware issues and that is the last thing I want to deal with. I also fear firmware issues or conflicts if I pick a crappy MOB for either of the processors. What do you all recommend in the motherboard/CPU department? AMD or Intel? Asus, MSI or Gigabyte and which model MOBO would you use? Thank you.
As a non-gamer/overclocker if I was building today I would be looking at the 12400/500/600 with a mid range mobo.

Some of that is still in the pipe so I would sit tight and wait for pricing and reviews.

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
Hi Everyone,
I know you guys are getting into 12th gen talk but if you decide you don't want it 5700g/5600g are great options too

Jan 7, 2022
I know you guys are getting into 12th gen talk but if you decide you don't want it 5700g/5600g are great options too
I am actually considering taking a step back and going with the 5600G. I always run things out the back door when it comes to building stuff, whether it be a car, motorcycle or whatever and then have something that it awesome, but not always able to be used to full potential. My 1000HP street car for example. Technology is old the minute it comes out, so I may just give the non-balls-to-the -wall-approach this time. TY

Reactions: jacob249358

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The 5700G and 12600k pretty much bang heads in the cpu department, depending on which benchmark you look at. The 5600G is somewhat behind, closer to a 12400.

Amd has advantages, it runs almost 50% less power consumption, which equates to far less stress on cooling solutions, and with an equitable cooling, runs quieter.

Amd Vega8 graphics are Far superior to the UHD770 graphics with a 12600k, which really needs a discrete gpu to keep up or exceed in anything.

For a basic pc that's good all around, the 5700G is unbeatable. It's if you want more that the 12600k really shines as it is a full cpu with plenty of Lcache, vs the 5700G which shares ram with the system and is short on Lcache.

12600k, gpu, B660 if you want higher performance at a price, 5700G if you want stronger out of the box as is.

Jan 7, 2022
The 5700G and 12600k pretty much bang heads in the cpu department, depending on which benchmark you look at. The 5600G is somewhat behind, closer to a 12400.

Amd has advantages, it runs almost 50% less power consumption, which equates to far less stress on cooling solutions, and with an equitable cooling, runs quieter.

Amd Vega8 graphics are Far superior to the UHD770 graphics with a 12600k, which really needs a discrete gpu to keep up or exceed in anything.

For a basic pc that's good all around, the 5700G is unbeatable. It's if you want more that the 12600k really shines as it is a full cpu with plenty of Lcache, vs the 5700G which shares ram with the system and is short on Lcache.

12600k, gpu, B660 if you want higher performance at a price, 5700G if you want stronger out of the box as is.
I ordered the 7 5700G paired with the Asrock B550 PG Velocita. The Mobo was on sale for$139 and seemed like it was a decent board, especially for no heavy lifting.

Reactions: Karadjgne