New Mobo and CPU

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
back on the subject

Jhutcheson said
In comparison to my fx-6300, how well would the pentium do? Better or worse? I'd rather spend a little extra money right now than feel the need to upgrade again in the near future. Also, is there any board that's still viable with ddr3 compatibility? If I don't need to buy new ram, that would be great. I should also mention that I use this PC primarily for gaming and most of the games I play are graphic intensive.
1. The DDR3 is not compatible with 6th or 7th gen boards.
2. you could get an I5-6400 H110 with DDR4-2133 ... look up prices...
3, another option would be a Ryzen 5 1400 B350 Board and ram

Don't do that, please, just makes you seem like an arse.
A G4560 doesn't bottleneck it at all, performs the same as an i3 6100.

@OP, this is optimal.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($193.65 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus B150M-C D3 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($59.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $253.53
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-16 07:31 EDT-0400

If you can't save that much, get this.
Both are better options than buying new RAM and a weaker CPU.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-DG4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($44.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $219.48
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-16 07:32 EDT-0400

Tarun17

Commendable
Nov 18, 2016
If you know that RX 480 (almost) =GTX 970, then watch= https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gRVnfo1km0

You will get to know the bottleneck of the 970.
And please stop just posting things .
Why dont you just buy a i3 6100 and give me your 6700k cause :

"A G4560 doesn't bottleneck it at all, performs the same as an i3 6100."
-Chugalug 2017

Just report him and move on, rude and disrespectful, no need to act like a child on a forum, we're trying to help people, not attack each other.
Here's your comparison btw, only a small clock speed differential.
What you've posted is a synthetic benchmark which stresses both the CPU and GPU to their limits to give a score, not an accurate real world comparison.
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Pentium-G4560-vs-Intel-Core-i3-6100/3892vs3511

Also below, a comparison between the FX 6300 and G4560.
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Pentium-G4560-vs-AMD-FX-6300/3892vs1555

Last try to get back on topic

you cannot get a 6th gen or 7th gen DDR3 from your system to work and here why this is :
The Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory operating voltage of 1.5V exceeds the Intel Skylake CPU recommended maximum of 1.35V+5% (1.417V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.35V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum.

unless your ready to buy use I5 4th gen and LGA1150 board... btw I5-4570 costs 250$ and boards are rare and few so 40-125 range... why I suggested the B250 board originally.

all about money. but you have 200$, so you get what you can afford. or buy used.

Buying used appears to be the best solution here.
However, with this whole DDR3 on Skylake debacle, I set up a system in store which we use daily as a test bench for hardware and as a terminal using DDR3 memory on an Asus Z170 board, and it hasn't had any issues at all in stress tests or benchmarks.
As long as the VRM can handle it, and the board is specced to keep up with the voltage requirements of the memory, we haven't had any issues with it so far, and the CPU performs the same as any other i7 6700.

I picked up the several alerts to this thread but I'm going patiently to wait for Tarun's build suggestions before taking any action.

So long as the thread doesn't degenerate into a string of insults, the OP might yet have some clarification as to what to buy.

Tarun17

Commendable
Nov 18, 2016
Hey, man who am I to "BASH" anyone? I have just joined the forums. I am just t.... OK SORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!! I admit it! OK? COOL NOW?

But anyways, I think that he should buy an i5 7400 and a h110m with DDR4 because the difference in the FX 6300 And i3 6100 is almost negligible for most of us as proven here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4dUCeF2jnU

I know the i3 did perform better than the 6300 but i dont think it is worth the money, i think that the i5 gives anyone a better priceto performance ratio!!!

Hope I helped,
:)

The G4560 costs $59, if that's not value idk what is! :p
In regards to the H110 side of things, see what I wrote above.
"It won't work with 100 series boards made before the release of Kaby Lake, it just won't boot.
So you either have to get lucky and get a board made afterwards, or boot it with a Skylake chip first.
On top of that, H110 boards have crap quality components, a B250 board costs a bit more, has better features + more RAM slots as long as you get a decent one, and its guaranteed to work with your CPU."

Tarun17

Commendable
Nov 18, 2016

Agreed. :)

jhutcheson

Honorable
Aug 20, 2014

If I go this route, wouldn't it be better to get the i5-7500? Its basically the same price as the 6500 and still better.

jhutcheson

Honorable
Aug 20, 2014
First off, thank you for all the replies and discussion.

After reading through everyone's responses and doing some more research, the pentium seems to be the best value option but its performance with my 970 probably won't be the greatest improvement. I think it's probably worth it to spend a little bit more money and get a better cpu even if it means less bang for buck.

That being said, what options do I have regarding the board I would need to get? Chugalug suggested the two i5's paired with boards that would still run my ddr3 ram. Is that the best route or should I get a board that is more upgradable with ddr4 memory? And back to what processor I should get. the i5-7500 seemed like a good solution but like I said in my original post, I am not the most knowledgeable person on the subject.

No, because Kaby Lake CPUs don't support DDR3 at all.
The i5 4460 would be the best value imo, only about 8% between the two.

jhutcheson

Honorable
Aug 20, 2014

Ok that makes sense. I didn't grasp that at first. I think I'm either gonna buy the 4460 and the motherboard you suggested soon or wait a little while and purchase the 7500, a new mobo, and some ddr4 memory.

If you're intent on upgrading mate then honestly go the kaby lake i5 with a b250 & ddr4 ram WHEN you can afford it.

Going haswell now would be a foolish move IMO.
Its going to be a dead socket 2 years down the line & should you have issues with parts boards especially will be difficult to find replacements IMO.
On another note you never indicated what issues you're currently having with your fx setup?
You can draw decent performance from a 6300 , if you're running at stock you're doing yourself a massive disservice.

jhutcheson

Honorable
Aug 20, 2014

It's not necessarily the performance that's the issue. The problems I've had include USB's not working or if they move in the slightest, the motherboard wont recognize they're plugged in. I've had freezing problems for the last 2 years that come in spurts that I've narrowed down to the motherboard also. I just don't want to deal with it anymore.

I am probably 90% set on getting a kaby lake i5 with a b250 and ddr4 after I pay for my summer classes though.

^ fair nuff mate , I can understand not wanting to throw good money after bad.
Shame the problems you're having , the 6300 was always IMO the crowning glory of amd's fx series when overclocked .
Would have set you up for another year or 2 if things were running OK.

USB problems used to be an indication that the motherboard and the CPU are at war with each other.

I don't keep up with such matters so am not sure whether that still applies but someone here will know.

jhutcheson

Honorable
Aug 20, 2014

You could be onto something here.

jhutcheson

Honorable
Aug 20, 2014

For sure. I'm definitely not displeased with the 6300 and if I didn't have any problems with my mobo then I'd ride it out for at least another year or two. No sense in just getting a new board without transitioning to intel at this point though.