New mobo... blank screen

JohnB299

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
My mom's PC crapped out the other day.. and i narrowed it down to the mobo. (the pc would not start up at all) After installing the new mobo and powering on, i get nothing at all except a blank black screen. no boot info, no bios, nothing. I tried on another monitor and still had the same problem. The pc is a HP computer.. does HP have some kind of block for this??

New 250w PS
New 630TCF mobo
Penium 3 900mhz
192 mb pc133 RAM

Thanks for any help!!

A good friend will come bail you out of jail. A GREAT friend will be sitting next to you saying "man we really screwed up"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nope, HP does nothing to prevent you from replacing the motherboard. Read the first post for common causes of your problem.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

JohnB299

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
thats the problem... I power on, and nothing appears.. HD turns on, fans turn on.. just no image on the screen. I've already used 2 seperate monitors and tried using the built in graphics adapter to see if that would fix it

A good friend will come bail you out of jail. A GREAT friend will be sitting next to you saying "man we really screwed up"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, typical causes are listed in the first post of this forum. Things such as a circuit on the back of the board being shorted to the case, for example. With HP, the standoff (mounting points) are normally stamped into the plate, so any boards missing a mounting hole compared to the original would certainly be shorted to the case at that mounting point. A solution may be to put electric tape over that mounting point. Other possibilities, though less likely, would be a reversed IDE cable.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
heya JohnB;

Most likely the mobo is set into a protection state from the factory, just reset C-Mos, and the mobo should function normally.

<Archer> Cant this thing go any faster, I thought this was a Warp 5 engine?

<Trip> Yeah, on paper...

JohnB299

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
still nothing.. i think i just got a bad mobo perhaps??