Question New mobo/cpu gives me no display output with RX 480, works with other GPUs

Apr 28, 2021
Alright, this is a doozy. I'll try to keep it short and concise but er, no promises.

I was using an fx4300, asrock 760gm-hdv, 8gb ddr3, rx480 8gb setup but decided to upgrade and picked up:
Intel i5 10400f
Gigabyte H410m S2H
G.skill aegis 2x8gb ddr4 @3000mhz

I slapped my old parts into another pc with a 560ti and installed the new ones with my rx480.

Attempting to boot the new setup with the 480 gave me no display signal - at that point I tried to slot in an old HD 4550 into the new build and everything worked flawlessly. I then try to boot new build with the 560ti - everything works fine again. So it's not the hdmi cable, it's not the pcie slot on the new mobo.

Worried that my 480 is deceased, I plug it into the old setup with the fx4300 and... it works fine. The psus are 500 and 600w for the old and new setups respectively and both have run the 480 no questions asked, so neither of them are dead or insufficient.

I tried flashing the bios for the new motherboard to the new version - no dice. Same with fiddling with bios settings - CSM on or off, above 4g encoding, etc.

To be clear, the 480s fan does spin up with the new build (and yes lol I'm plugging in the 6pin), I just get no display with it specifically. I booted with the 4550 and used DDU to clear previous drivers, I've reset the CMOS twice now, still no display from the 480 and only the 480 in the new setup.

What's the chances my motherboard doesn't somehow support the 480? I'll be honest in saying I've never seen something like that be the case, but worth asking. Should I try booting with the 480 but with only one or the other stick of ram in there? Haven't done so thus far cuz I figure if the ram works fine and is detected with other gpus, I can't imagine it being an issue with this specific one. Will reiterate that the 480 works completely fine on the older PC, tried with both PSUs.

Seriously at a loss here, lol; I don't have another lga1200 motherboard on hand to check if it's a motherboard issue and am running out of ideas.

Cheers

Apr 28, 2021
Apologies if bumping isn't etiquette but figured I'd add - I have replaced the Gigabyte H410M-S2H with an ASUS Prime H410M-E and the issue is persisting; going to go through the usual BIOS fiddling and check but I'm not optimistic.

e56imfg

Distinguished
Where are you plugging your display cable into? You're not plugging it into the motherboard, right?

You are sure the required connectors are plugged in on the gpu and also the 8pin for the motherboard?

Have you tried booting with legacy mode (turn off uefi)?

Apr 28, 2021
- Where are you plugging your display cable into? You're not plugging it into the motherboard, right?

Into the GPU, yes. Other end into the monitor, too!

- You are sure the required connectors are plugged in on the gpu and also the 8pin for the motherboard?

Yessir. 8pin & 24pin into the motherboard, single 6pin PCIe power into GPU.

- Have you tried booting with legacy mode (turn off uefi)?

I have tried both, yes.

e56imfg

Distinguished
No idea then. If you figure it out please let us know.

Your tried using a different connector? Like DP? And you are sure your monitor is looking for the correct output?

Change PCI e version?

Which Rx 480 exactly do you have? I've searched online for similar issues and the only suggestions are related to the vbios on the gpu and uefi motherboards. Is there a vbios update from your RX 480 manufacturer?

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021
No idea then. If you figure it out please let us know.

Your tried using a different connector? Like DP? And you are sure your monitor is looking for the correct output?

Change PCI e version?

Which Rx 480 exactly do you have? I've searched online for similar issues and the only suggestions are related to the vbios on the gpu and uefi motherboards. Is there a vbios update from your RX 480 manufacturer?

Unfortunately my monitor only supports HDMI; for whatever it's worth, I'll mention that the tests that I did to confirm that the RX 480 isn't dead were using the same HDMI cable and the same monitor.

I'm unsure what you mean by changing PCIe version; I've tried switching from Auto to Gen 3/Gen 2 in BIOS settings with no success, if that's what you're referring to.

I have a reference model, SKU 21260-00.
I've found many of the same vBIOS related threads, but am not sure what to do with the info to be honest! I'm a bit afraid of fiddling with the vBIOS, especially as I'm not really able to find anything from the manufacturer.