New modem router question

HardwareJuan

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013
So I've been using a wifi adapter USB to connect to a previous existing network in my house but I'm a little far from the router so internet connection is mediocre, definitely not good for online gaming. Anyway, I'm buying a new router and was wondering if using a better router that is closer to my room and the wifi adapter USB I was using before will speed up my internet connection.

Solution
Look into getting a Wireless 802.11 ac router, if you can't hardwire, it will get you the best performance possible, and it's backwards compatible with 802.11n standards, so your adapter should be capable of handling it. As well, the closer to the router the better (obviously), but also check for things that might cause interference (anything metal or thicker than drywall, baby monitors, radios, microwaves, etc.) as those devices or devices like them, will completely mess with your connection.

Carobthomp

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
Look into getting a Wireless 802.11 ac router, if you can't hardwire, it will get you the best performance possible, and it's backwards compatible with 802.11n standards, so your adapter should be capable of handling it. As well, the closer to the router the better (obviously), but also check for things that might cause interference (anything metal or thicker than drywall, baby monitors, radios, microwaves, etc.) as those devices or devices like them, will completely mess with your connection.

Solution