[SOLVED] new motherboard/set up and wifi seems worse.

Daniel-333

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
hey all, i recently bought a new motherboard and it seems im not getting as much download as i was before on my old rig. On ethernet i get the full 50 download, usually i get about 30 upwards on wifi, but since i have had this new board, i only get about 10-25ish. checked with my internet provider and they say im getting the full 50, no problems on their end and i even tested the modem, that was fine also.
my new motherboard is the asus rog maximus hero xi wifi version, even has an external corded antenna that bolts on, my last rig didnt. is there anything that could be messing with my signal or something that could be throttling me on windows or to do with the motherboard? or maybe this on board wifi is just crap? i have to be on wifi as i cant run a cable to my computer.

Solution
Antenna quality makes a difference. So does antenna location and the direction it's pointing. The signal from comes out in a donut shape, so you get the strongest signal on the sides and the weakest on the top and bottom, so you want the side of antenna facing your WiFi router rather than the antenna pointing at it. If your antenna is buried behind your computer you will get a worse signal (generally) than if it is above, below, beside, or in front of the computer.
Antenna quality makes a difference. So does antenna location and the direction it's pointing. The signal from comes out in a donut shape, so you get the strongest signal on the sides and the weakest on the top and bottom, so you want the side of antenna facing your WiFi router rather than the antenna pointing at it. If your antenna is buried behind your computer you will get a worse signal (generally) than if it is above, below, beside, or in front of the computer.

Solution