[SOLVED] New motherboard...

Dec 11, 2021
Hiya.

I'm in the process of slowly upgrading my build. I currently have an i7 9700k on a rog strix z390 along with a 3070ti. I'm looking at an 12600k as, from what I gather gives me substantial performance aside from buying a 12900k. Please correct me if I am wrong...

My problem is... What mobo is best to buy for an alder lake socket if I am currently looking at a 12600k with the intention of upgrading to the beefy 12900k in the future? I was looking at the rog strix z690 but the price is nearly £500 where as I noticed an asus prime 690 was under 200. I use my machine for gaming and youtube, maybe some streaming from time to time. Is it worth "investing" in an expensive board like the strix or will a cheaper board posess the same features but at a fraction of the price? I read too much talk of rog being overrated and maybe I can get more bang for my buck. As with everyone in the PC community, I don't want to have to upgrade my board only after a couple of years.

I know you guys get daft questions like this all the time but with the cost of PC componants now, I have to be really careful as my money doesn't stretch very far with componants.

I really appreciate any help you guys can give me and again, I am sorry for the annoying question...

Solution
What about the ddr5 option? Worth it you think?
I don't see DDR5 becoming mainstream for another 3 - 4 years from now. None to be found and the DDR5 that is available has terrible latency. DDR4 3600mhz CL16 is more than fine for now.

RhRj3qW4xbKSCjG5kEkgtT-970-80.png

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
I wouldn’t call 9700K to 12600K “substantial”, no. You can expect a 12% increase in effective speed in games, and around 20% in productivity workloads.

The 3070 will deliver excellent FPS in all modern games with either CPU. You’re talking in terms of maybe a 10-15FPS improvement in some games with the 12600K, and in some games it will be nothing. I’m not sure it’s worth spending a whole lot of money to buy a new system for a small bump in performance like that.

Z690 motherboards have only just hit the market and are ridiculously priced due to the semiconductor shortage, among other factors. If you’re dead set on this CPU upgrade then I would at least wait until the £150 Motherboards come out. The £200 ASUS board you saw might have been a pricing error. Those are £300 at the moment.

Dec 11, 2021
I wouldn’t call 9700K to 12600K “substantial”, no. You can expect a 12% increase in effective speed in games, and around 20% in productivity workloads.

The 3070 will deliver excellent FPS in all modern games with either CPU. You’re talking in terms of maybe a 10-15FPS improvement in some games with the 12600K, and in some games it will be nothing. I’m not sure it’s worth spending a whole lot of money to buy a new system for a small bump in performance like that.

Z690 motherboards have only just hit the market and are ridiculously priced due to the semiconductor shortage, among other factors. If you’re dead set on this CPU upgrade then I would at least wait until the £150 Motherboards come out. The £200 ASUS board you saw might have been a pricing error. Those are £300 at the moment.
Thanks for getting back to me.

So is it worth me just holding out until I can buy a 12900k, then hopefully the z690 boards may have come down in price too and I can scoop one up cheaper? ...Or am I just wasting my time? I'm terrible with buying pc parts... Lol.

Thanks for your help!

If your heart is set on a 12900k, why bother with the 12600k at all?

The 12600k would just end up being a used product that you'd put in a drawer or sell on ebay at a loss of some type.

Or is there going to be a 2 or 3 year wait between buying the 12600k and replacing it with the 12900k?

Maybe you've just got a bad upgrade itch. That disease is untreatable in some people who cannot wait.

Hiya.

I'm in the process of slowly upgrading my build. I currently have an i7 9700k on a rog strix z390 along with a 3070ti. I'm looking at an 12600k as, from what I gather gives me substantial performance aside from buying a 12900k. Please correct me if I am wrong...

My problem is... What mobo is best to buy for an alder lake socket if I am currently looking at a 12600k with the intention of upgrading to the beefy 12900k in the future? I was looking at the rog strix z690 but the price is nearly £500 where as I noticed an asus prime 690 was under 200. I use my machine for gaming and youtube, maybe some streaming from time to time. Is it worth "investing" in an expensive board like the strix or will a cheaper board posess the same features but at a fraction of the price? I read too much talk of rog being overrated and maybe I can get more bang for my buck. As with everyone in the PC community, I don't want to have to upgrade my board only after a couple of years.

I know you guys get daft questions like this all the time but with the cost of PC componants now, I have to be really careful as my money doesn't stretch very far with componants.

I really appreciate any help you guys can give me and again, I am sorry for the annoying question...
https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-aorus-z690-gaming-x-ddr4/p/N82E16813145347

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z690-GAMING-X-DDR4-rev-10#kf

Dec 11, 2021
I don't see DDR5 becoming mainstream for another 3 - 4 years from now. None to be found and the DDR5 that is available has terrible latency. DDR4 3600mhz CL16 is more than fine for now.

RhRj3qW4xbKSCjG5kEkgtT-970-80.png

Thanks for your help! Silly question... Is there a reason you recommend that particular board/ brand? I'm going to go for the 12900k if it's ultimately the one I want anyway in the long run. I'll have to hammer some overtime for a while to pay for that son of a bitch. Lol!

Reactions: Why_Me

TRENDING THREADS