Question New MSI 3070Ti won't work on PC

pattamus

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2012
Hi,

I've been having trouble installing my new 3070Ti, tried twice, failed both times. There are some special issues with my mobo and possibly a cable, not sure about that.

My board is an ASUS ROG board, definitely compatible, case a corsair glass case, full sized, I can't remember the model #. The current card I have in now is a GTX 1080Ti 12gb, so it is almost as big and heavy as this new card, which is an MSI 3070Ti (as I explained).

The first problem was, I had no screws, and the clip for my PCIx16 #1 had broken some time ago when I had another issue and I was taking it out and replacing it several times to troubleshoot. So currently it has no clips. Also, I'm a very tall guy with huge hands and it is very difficult for me to screw in those very small screws to keep it stable once it is in the slot. Also, I lost the 2 screws I had for the 1080 , the good news is it still works just fine with no clip and no screws. I just push it in the slot and it stays. I know that is not wise, but I just wanted the problem to be over, I was without my PC for 2 days and just wanted it to work again and knew id be getting this new card soon.

Another problem: My HDMI cable only works with my current card because it has a DVI slot, and I have to use an adapter to even get it to work. I really , really hope this isn't my issue.. Because the new card has no DVI port, just HDMI and I forget the name of the new adapters HDR? I think that's what it's called, but if not, i'm sure I'll be corrected. All i know is that my HDMI plug WILL plug into the new card but only in the very first slot. Which is totally fine for me if it works. So that's one issue.

My other issue is like I said earlier, the clip broke for my #1 PCIx16 slot which is where it needs to go. Now, like I said earlier, my current card is just slightly lighter than the 3070, and it seemed to fit in just fine without it drooping or anything when I tried w no screws (I had to order some, which I was gonna do anyway, but I just wanted to see if it would POST at least into BIOS, etc, and make sure the card worked before the screws arrived.

The screws (well its a kit with about 7 different kinds of screws. One problem I have is that since I lost the other screws, I don't know which of these screws are the right fit. Does anyone know the name of the screw which would be the ones to use? Each screw has a name, so hopefully someone can help w that name since I don't want to make this already long post longer by listing 7 different screws and their names. Some I can rule out like "chassis large" , etc. I've got it narrowed down to about 3 that would be possible. But again it's very difficult with my screwdrivers to get it to stay on the screwdriver just long enough for me to get it in one of the holes, especially while having to hold the card up a bit with my other hand to make it line up w the card and the holes.

Also, the PCI-E cables from my PSU only fit in one way for my current card, but w the new one, itll let you put them in either way, which confused me as to which side the clip goes on, and its one of those 6+2 where its supposed to click together but never does (doesnt with my current card and the card before that, so I usually put either the 6 part of the 8 PCI-E prongs first, or the 2 then the 6. I cannot make them stay together and put it all in like its one 8 prong cable. So should I put the 2 in first or the 6, or just whatever's easier? Also, I think I made a mistake and tried to put them in backwards, at least the 2 prongs on the end that seperate from the 6, and it felt like i was having to jam them in so i just tried another configuration. This time I will look at my current card and see which direction the black cable says PCI-E and has the clip on, and put it into the new card that way.

I know it's not smart to put a card in without the clip, but this current card hasn't had one for 6 months and has been doing great. And I'll never get that clip back, not without some pricey glueing it back to the slot or whatever they might do to get it back on, IF thats even possible at all.

So I'm just begging for some help, I think I know what I should do differently the 3rd time around, but if anyone sees anything im missing, I would love to hear feedback on this. I know I don't need to use the complete GPU software removal since the former card was an nvidia, so one less headache, but if it's the last straw, I will try it. I really do not want to return this card, I got it at a great deal, and I need the upgrade for games I am looking forward to coming up. If there are any tricks or just hints to get it to stay in there (I know putting the screws in the front shouldn't be optional, and I have them now) or if anyone can tell me the name of the best screw to use on putting a card in the regular spot, please let me know. I'm totally willing to list them all out in a future post if that info is needed.

Also the issue with the DVI adapter having to be used. Could that be an HDMI cable problem? It's a good brand cable and has served me well, but I have another if I should switch, if that could be the issue.

One last thing I will say (sorry about the long post) is that when i booted up the PC both times with the new card, it did not light up although the rest of the parts of my PC did (its a glass case so I can see whats lit). So that means the board or something isn't recognizing the card.

Should I try taking the battery out for 5 minutes prior to booting up the new card? I've had to do such before when I couldn't even get a BIOS screen and it worked. I used it again when it wouldnt even read my OLD card after the new one went bust the first time. The second time my old card went back in without any issue, no clip and no screws, just sturdy cables holding it down and the cables outside of the card.

This time i'd like to do it right, so I'd very much appreciate your wisdom on this, me being a novice builder. Thank you very much, and happy holidays <3

for the screws issue, im using something like this
https://www.ubuy.co.in/product/BX3W...er-case-screw-hand-tighten-thumb-screws-10pcs
which should be handy for you

Also, the PCI-E cables from my PSU only fit in one way for my current card, but w the new one, itll let you put them in either way, which confused me as to which side the clip goes on, and its one of those 6+2 where its supposed to click together but never does (doesnt with my current card and the card before that, so I usually put either the 6 part of the 8 PCI-E prongs first, or the 2 then the 6. I cannot make them stay together and put it all in like its one 8 prong cable. So should I put the 2 in first or the 6, or just whatever's easier? Also, I think I made a mistake and tried to put them in backwards, at least the 2 prongs on the end that seperate from the 6, and it felt like i was having to jam them in so i just tried another configuration. This time I will look at my current card and see which direction the black cable says PCI-E and has the clip on, and put it into the new card that way.
this one can get sometimes tricky, i usualy ligtly push 6pin then i add 2 pin, then fully insert both...but i woldnt worry if both 6+2 are inserted fully

without clip there is something that may happen and case screews wotn help
if somebody hits your PC and card will move (while still running), it will short and die

I know I don't need to use the complete GPU software removal since the former card was an nvidia, so one less headache, but if it's the last straw, I will try it
you gonna need to do full driver reinstall (DDU + new driver), even if its nvidia, its different GPU architecture, not just gpu ugrade within same family

for that hdmi, you might try different hdmi cable if this one causes you issues

pattamus

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2012
Thanks for the advice above! I have a new revelation.. So the issue with the DVI thing. I put in a totally different HDMI cable and it DOESN'T work with the 1080's HDMI ports. So what could it be?? I mean id think thatd be a cable issue. It couldn't possibly be a HDTV problem could it? It's a rather new samsung, it's not UHD but it's 4K. I tried both HDMI 1 and 2, works on both with DVI adapter but not without on either... weird problem this is shaping up to be. What could be causing an HDMI cable (2 of them, not cheap ones either even though i know it really doesn't matter much if at all). ??

pattamus

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2012
for the screws issue, im using something like this
https://www.ubuy.co.in/product/BX3W...er-case-screw-hand-tighten-thumb-screws-10pcs
which should be handy for you

this one can get sometimes tricky, i usualy ligtly push 6pin then i add 2 pin, then fully insert both...but i woldnt worry if both 6+2 are inserted fully

without clip there is something that may happen and case screews wotn help
if somebody hits your PC and card will move (while still running), it will short and die

you gonna need to do full driver reinstall (DDU + new driver), even if its nvidia, its different GPU architecture, not just gpu ugrade within same family

for that hdmi, you might try different hdmi cable if this one causes you issues

I just tried a new HDMI cable and on the current card it does the exact same thing" It will only work with a DVI adapter. Which scares me alot because if thats the problem w the new card, then im screwed since that means it won't work with any cables... unless somehow both my cables are bad, but if they are, how come they perform just fine with a DVI adapter.

This is a relatively new system, 3 years from the bottom up, only corsair, ROG, and PSU corsair RX 1000w(i think thats the model #). So if any of you were in my position would you go out and buy a 3rd HDMI cable? I'm desperate but it seems a bit much, the chances that the third will just fix the problem.

Is it a fact that I need to use DDU, I was told about it but also told I had an nvidia before and as long as my new card is nvidia. But if you know this to be true (old card was EVGA, this one MSI), I will do it.

Just a question for you or anyone, if I go ahead and do DDU and it still doesnt work and I have to put my old card back in, is that an easy or hard process? I don't need any more troubles if i have to send this card back. Cant buy an EVGA anymore, since they left nvidia so? Thanks for that advice though, thats good information.

Also has ANYONE ever heard of the same problem im describing? a card with HDMI ports (I am almost certain this happened with my previous card before my 1080 as well but DVI was more common back then so i really didnt even try to get it to work too hard with just the HDMI slot. But a generational problem with 2 good HDMI cables and a card that now doesnt have one doesn't sound good to me at all :< So if anyone has come across this problem, or has had it, i'm near desperate at this point. I would give my undying thanks, that's about all I have to give after buying this card! haha.

But no, I truly appreciate all your comments and even if you think it may not be relevant, like i said ive been struggling w this for 2 weeks now , ordered parts, etc.

One more thing I can think of.. It has this black bracket that came with it where I guess it goes up under the card for support? but the other end looks like the metal brackets you see on the back of a case, and I can't figure out how to even get started putting that thing in. Don't even know what it's called TBH. If anyone can give info on one of those and either a link or just text on how to install one of those i feel ill be confident in knowing its that DVI problem. Last thing I need is to spend more money right now around Christmas time, so i'd like to use what I have if possible to get this thing up and running.

Like I said I have the names of all the screws on the box I ordered and most look the same to me , so if anyone wants (or I may write down a few myself just to see if someone recognizes one or two for GPU's (this one was a one-and-all screw kit for pc builders. Once again thank you much , I am indebted to you guys!

BTW : I have my case in a very safe spot which nobody can run into even if they tried ;) I have nieces and nephews , so thats my #1 priority as its the most expensive thing in my condo (I think). At the 3k ive put into it , it outta be!

pattamus

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2012
Also, is there anyway I could put it in the 2nd PCI slot? I'm not sure if it's x8 or x16 but its a relatively new board so I imagine its x16 and I think I remember reading it when i was inside the pc. If so, could I try that instead, or as a last resort?

Is there any drawbacks to that? I know if it only has 8 lanes it's a problem but if it has 16 id have that clip and can do without that brace that I don't even have an idea how to install. The instruction manual is VERY slim and in many many lanuages. I don't ever think i'll buy MSI again, but I got a good deal while prices were high, so I went for it. Not that they are nessacerely bad cards, it just seems like you only get the very "basics". Like I didnt get ANY screws , which would have stopped me from putting the build on hold waiting for amazon to deliver.

pattamus

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2012
https://www.imagebam.com/view/MEH9C1J

Don't want to be impatient, but deciding what to do in the next 2 days - Got an ultamatum that if I can't get it working in 2 days we send it back, and I won't be able to get a new card till May.

This image basically shows my motherboard and that it supposedly has 3 PCI x16 slots. But then it says 3 PCI x1. I'm sure this is just a tech thing I don't understand, my friend looked at the image and said I could put the card in a slot which still has a clip on it for more support and less wiggling when im trying to put the screws in and the PCI-E cables in.

Can anyone confirm that this true with my motherboard? Because IF I can it will make it alot easier to make work and I won't have to send it back and wait till May after the games im looking forward to are already out..

If anyone can make sense of this OR simply confirm I can put the card in a different slot, that would be AWESOME and may just solve my problem alone. So please, if anyone knows, please say yes you can put it in a different slot, or no, you don't want to. But ive heard the only reason you might not want to is because the first slot is the only GUARANTEED x16, but with AIDA64 which I just bought for this reason, all 3 of my slots are PCIx16. I just wanted to make sure this is true before I get down and busy rebuilding.

Thank you all for your responses, each and every one is appreciated, whether I can use it or not, because you never know which answer will solve the problem! So really, thank you all , and anyone who chooses to help me in the future.

I am going to go get my screw box right now (go get your shinebox) -reference to goodfellas, lol. and name a few of the screws to see if any of you ladies and gents can identify the right ones to use in installing, which I will wait till tomorrow to do once I have more answers.

screwkit

^link to all the screws I ordered, I know most of these I can just use common sense to sort out, but it gets harder as you get down the line. If anyone knows the correct screws out of these to get my GPU to at least stay snug in the front, that would be a big favor. And thanks again. I'm thinking mainboard and M2s for now.. Maybe flat phillips..