New Multi-Windows Feature Could Increase Android's Appeal On PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenjitamura

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Sorry Google but I only use Android on mobile devices because I have to and I don't see any real advantage for using Android over a Ubuntu derivative on the Desktop.

They need to hire timduru from XDA Forums. He has had muti AND resizeable windows working on his custom 4.4.4 rom for a while. Works great. Only the tables they are designed for are slow 1Ghz dual cores with a Gig of RAM

adgjlsfhk1

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
I already use android on my pc. It's this really cool open source fork of it developed specifically for PCs called Ubuntu.

More like google 'corn-hole'. Big news, it's 2015 and a software platform is finally taking baby steps to *gasp* open not one but two, two windows at the same time? A feature that has only been in existence for the pc for over two decades (and even had an o/s named after this ability). Sorry for the sarcasm but seriously, where exactly is the news in this? What next, a company comes out with a new type of ink pen that doesn't involve dipping the quill into an ink well and the world goes mad?

chlamchowder

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
synphul - I'm guessing it'll have windowing capability on par with Windows 1.0 (tiled windows) or maybe 2.0 (overlapping windows). The big question is how it'll hold up when Windows 95 comes out.

I see where this could bring an improvement to mobile devices, tablets etc even though I thought there were already mobile devices out for awhile now boasting the power and capability to multitask with multiple apps at once. The part that made no sense was the reference to the 'interest' it would bring to pc users as somehow an alternative to *nix, windows, mac osx when it's so far behind. I don't see tablets having anything to offer pc's. They also mentioned something about running apps on pc's as if it's difficult and yet there are programs (and have been) that allow just that. Maybe certain apps that don't play nice on pc? I don't know, I do know I've ran several 'apps' from the chrome store just fine through chrome/windows on my pc.

Lol @ 'when win95 comes out'

My take on it has always been that apps are essentially mini programs often lacking many features of the full blown programs available to pc users already. Why if as a pc user would I want to run a less powerful less featured version of something my hardware can already run? Apps were more or less 'light' versions of popular programs slimmed down to the point they could actually run on less powerful hardware like tablets and phones. Just doesn't make sense. Oh look, photoshop mobile and runs so good on a tegra processor with a tiny ram chip - really? Oh look, full featured photoshop runs even better on a real quad core with real ram and real storage on a real screen :p

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
show me 300 chrome tabs, 6 explorer windows, fubar, a taskmanager, resource monitor, skype, 14 txt files, 3 more explorer windows, acdsee 8 pro (not pro 8), a 1080p video file and steam open at the same time, along with a temp probe, hardware monitors, a screenshot program a macro program, a torrent program, a key rebinding program, and MAYBE you can get my attention with android.
you get me to even consider it, emulate x86-64 on android to the point i can emulate windows and play games and than we will be talking.

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
I can see using this occasionally on my 10" tablet, probably not on my phone but on the tablet I can see it. I hope this comes out while my Nexus 10 is still getting updates.

P.S. Chrome OS sucks, it's just a feature-reduced version of Android as it stands. Why split your user base like that for no reason?

Treynolds416

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
Thinking that this is an incentive to use android on a desktop is silly, because desktops already do this and it works fine. The appeal is multiple windows for mobile devices. I use samsung's implementation of this all the time on my note 3. Even with limited app support, being able to send text messages or look at email while watching YouTube is good enough for me. Native app support for multi-windows in android devices could be huge, especially if you're not a fan of touchwiz.

Madmaxneo

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
LOL @ when windows 95 comes out
LOL @ synphul

I used to use an Android tablet, now I use a Windows tablet. I only paid about $120 for it and it's functionality puts any Android tablet I have ever used to shame. I can install full Windows programs on it, use just about any USB device (including external storage devices), and get this (please sit down for this one) it has multi-window functionality!

kenjitamura

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012

It run any slower than android tablets because of the antivirus software? I'm assuming by saying you "can install full Windows programs" that it has an intel x86 processor and you're using the non ARM version of Windows which is essentially desktop windows and you'd have to be using full time antivirus software.

Madmaxneo

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014

Nope, Actually I am using MSE which runs very well nowadays. I do have another virus scanner installed and it does not slow the tablet down at all. It is pretty fast, well it boots up faster than any android tablet I have used. It's boot up from a complete shut down is about 20-30 seconds or so. I forget what processor it has but it's a quad core and it is an ASUS 8" tablet. It was listed at 3rd out of the top ten tablets on PC mag (I think). Though I think next time I am going for a larger 10" or 12" tablet. It is running windows 8.1 and that will run any program that will run on 8.1 from a desktop PC. I think it is called the ASUS VIVO 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.