New 'Need For Speed' This Year, Coming With Offline Single-Player Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
For the past few years, I could say the best Need For Speed since the original Most Wanted was the Forza Horizon series. Let's see how this holds up.

Richard_248

Prominent
May 9, 2017
'Praised' the open world? You mean the wet world that looked like the entire population evacuated the city from a forthcoming hurricane.

OriginFree

Distinguished
May 23, 2015
Unless I get my Britain or Germany or Italy Unleashed that we were hinted at after Porsche Unleashed back in the day I don't care. And I know I'm in the minority but drifting is what happens when something goes wrong ... not an acceptable forced game experience.

audie-tron25

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
Hopefully this is a reboot for the series. The remake "NFS Most Wanted" was pretty good but not entirely an authentic NFS for my tastes. I really wanted to like NFS (2015) but I struggled with some of its glitches (mainly falling through the ground due to high demands on hardware) and the story didn't have much direction. I would have liked a greater focus on classic cars (both Euro and JDM) but apart from that, I really did like the core themes of the game. Some people didn't like the environment but I thought it added to the game (especially night only, although weather variation could have been alright).

I was in New Orleans a day before Hurricane Katrina and it did look eerie seeing 0 cars on the road.
(Your post reminded me of that)

It does fit most of the need for speed games now that I think about it.

Although as soon as you add pedestrians to the game it pretty much becomes Grand Theft Auto

I've always been more of a Gran Turismo person but at least they can say;

It's A Race Track

Need for speed is one of those franchises that has sometimes something good, sometimes not.

I am currently replaying NFS Carbon and I still love the game (even with old graphics).
I Didn't like most of the other NFS that came out after that (with undercover being kinda ok).

In my book, if they remade NFS underground 2 with good graphics, better audio and perhaps 1-2 additional modes it would be a great hit.

3ogdy

Distinguished
Need For Speed Underground 2 was and is by far the best one they've released. The whole race simulation crap and the stuff that has come out after Carbon just wasn't as good.

dstarr3

Distinguished

The Burnout Paradise team made NFS:MW and Hot Pursuit (the second ones), and it shows in a lot of ways.

Richard_248

Prominent
May 9, 2017

I understand your viewpoint, but you can still add life to the environment without it becoming Grand Theft Auto. For example, Midnight Club had unhittable pedestrians. The Crew did the perfect balance because they added cars to the streets as well as pedestrians (I think). It's a street racing game, not a professional track racing game, so it would make sense to liven the mood by setting one just like the original Fast and the Furious. Street racing is risky because of that reason and setting a track based racer on streets is paradoxical.

dstarr3

Distinguished
Driver: San Francisco is a perfect example of an open-world racing game city that felt alive, like a real city, without going down GTA's route to accomplish it. All the pedestrians had ninja reflexes and always got out of the way of your car. You couldn't physically leave the car, but rather "possess" drivers of different cars, etc. It's a brilliant game and I just want more like it, and I think that approach to an open-world racing city would fit right in with NFS.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
It's a racing game man. Get rid of any pretense of a storyline. I just want to drive exotic cars through exotic locales very very fast.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
Heck, how about a remake of a game like Midtown Madness? It was awesome for its time, being able to romp through Chicago. Just improve the graphics and driving dynamics and make it open world. Map out your own routes to win, maybe some with a ton of traffic. Like GTA perhaps. We've all dreamt of driving a Ferrari through Manhattan at full speed.

dstarr3

Distinguished

You've pretty much exactly described Driver:SF. Give it a shot, if you haven't already. Terrific game.

And yeah, Midtown Madness was great back in the day. Fun fact, if you've still got the CDs around, they install and play on modern machines just fine. No magic required.

Status
Not open for further replies.