Question NEW NVME NOT SHOWING UP SN850 (RAMPAGE V) NEED HELP!

Dec 29, 2021
Can't see it in disk management, what should I do. Cheers.

[update]
also doesn't show up in bios
Rampage V Extreme (X99) - Latest bios
CPU: i7-5960X if that helps

Is there a setting I need to disable, some sort of order I need to put my NVME and SSD and HDDS in... As I have all 3 types.
Is the SN850 Not compatible?
I have my OS installed on my SSD by the way, not the NVME, just brought the NVME if that matters, just wanted to format it and get it all sorted out first e.t.c

[update again]
unplugged all HDDs and my ssds, still not detecting my NVME.. possible bios setting? or is it faulty NVME, or just too modern for an older board?

DID A BIT MORE GOOGLING... apparently there's 2 types of M.2 Drivers.... sata and nvme??? i guess the 850 won't work?? as it's not got 2 cut-out parts and only 1??

If the above is the case, can I use one of these?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-NVM.../dp/B084GDY2PW
Would I see any negatives using this? will any issues happen, want to use the NVME as my OS drive!

++++++++++++

According to a thread posted by someone on the ROG forums, this was listed but I can't figure out what this means

What types of M.2 SSD does the ASUS Rampage V Extreme support?
The ASUS Rampage V Extreme only supports M.2 PCI-Express SSDs. Before you go out and make your purchase, you should first verify that the SSD that you are considering is PCIe based.

++++++++++++

I googled such an SSD but just shows me all types of modern m.2 that look like my 850..

Dec 29, 2021
do you have anything on those pcie slot?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...1/E9550_RAMPAGE_V_EXTREME_UG_for_web_only.pdf
page 1-19
When pcie_x8_4 is occupied, the m.2 will be disabled.
there also 3-39
change from auto to m.2

YES ACTUALLY I DO!, a sound card! I don't know what 3.39 is, but you could also tell me is the SN850 compatible with my motherboard I'm not smart when comes to this please help. It will save me buying an NVME EXPANSION PCIE slot car thing, if it actually works into the NVME/m.2 slot...

"pcie X-8.4?? That's the very bottom long one correct"? let me turn off my computer and unplug the soundcard and get back to you, if that is the issue... is there any way I can use that slot and the m2 slot"? or am I ...

i did set the thing from auto to m.2 by the way. anyway brb turning off my PC

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 29, 2021
sn850 ssd is compatible

pcie x8_4 is the last one furthest away from the cpu. try puting the sound card on another one

I've unplugged the sound card, let me take a picture and show you what slots now have stuff in (Well I'll edit an asus one)

Top one is a graphics card, the other slot has a USB expansion card View: https://imgur.com/a/K62KhQJ

I tried adding the imgur URL to the thing on chat but wouldn't work so here's a link

NVME IS STILL UNDETECTED!

Dec 29, 2021
put the sound card on the open one.

As I stated I've unplugged it, so only got 2 things in, and nvme is still undetected:l (Completely removed the sound card from the board)

The only slots with anything in are the ones I've put white boxes around (GPU and USB card) and the NVME is still undetected (SN 850)

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2021
nothing. You done everything I could think off. other then testing the m.2 on another working system

Well I've got an NVME PCI-E card thing coming as shown in the link https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-NVM.../dp/B084GDY2PW

Is there any negative behind these expansion cards? are these worth it? can i use it with my SN850 and install windows 10 on it?? I plan to buy a full new computer next year when prices are even out and DDR5 modules are made more generally, and waiting until a good enough board comes, but rather not send the NVME back in the meantime for a refund if I can use it with the expansion card pcie card thing... and use it as my OS drive e.t.c

Dec 29, 2021
Should I try plugging in the EZ_PLUG (page 1-42) of my book It's a 4 pin power plug, I've only ever had the 8pin plugged in at the top, 8 pin is the main one to the left of it. What's weird is the NVME is warm... at the back, (part of it facing the board), so is the heatsink, i don't know if that's the board warming it up, or the GPU... or if it's the NVME and it's just undetected!

View: https://imgur.com/a/GqGzkNJ

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2021
SN850 is PCI-e4.0. Why do you want to use expensive gen4 SSDs in a motherboard that only supports gen3? Okay, it should be backwards compatible, but what if not with your motherboard....?
because I'm upgrading this year to a new board, and anyway... I just brought a PCIE expansion slot card to try the NVME in... yeah still not detected... but nobodies answered the other question..

There's 2 types of M.2 Drivers... i don't think the kind that this one is, is the supported kind because it's still undetected... unless the SN850 is broken

Mar 12, 2022
Gen4 SSDs are supposed to work at PCI-e 3.0 speeds...

When an SSD on a mainboard just 'doesn't', you are typically left with just a rare/odd BIOS incompatibility issue.

I think it is incompatible.
According to its data sheet:
https://documents.westerndigital.co...ck-ssd/data-sheet-wd-black-sn850-nvme-ssd.pdf

Backward Compatible with PCIe Gen3 x2, PCIe Gen3 x1, PCIe Gen2 x4, PCIe Gen2 x2, and PCIe Gen2 x1

Did not even list PCIe Gen3 x4 as compatible unlike their other model, eg SN770 SSD; it lists PCIe Gen3 x4 compatible. But this SSD doesn't come with heatsink.

So, I am trying to get the SN750 PCIe Gen3 x4 with heatsink. This better work; but in their compatibility list, this mobo is not listed, so I don't know..... Is the PCIe Gen3 x4 tech itself can be different between different mobo?

Modern tech just getting more complicated; 10 or 20 years ago, everything works. No crazy tons of models and version for same gen and compatibility issues like this LOL Sigh......

On the other hand, I see comments saying MP600 PRO XT 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen. 4 x4 SSD works for this mobo; but this is too THICK, and you would have to move your GFX to 2nd x16 lane. But this only works if you have CPU that supports 40++ lanes otherwise the 2nd x16 lane will run as x8 lane. So this SSD won't work for me unless if I upgrade my CPU.

If SN750 PCIe Gen3 x4 with heatsink is not working I will just get 2.5 SSD and move on. I am not sure if I should get M.2 SSD without Heatsink. I don't wanna risk losing my data.

ganymede-

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
I just installed an M.2. NVMe Samsung 980 drive last night. When I first installed the drive, it would not appear on the "This PC' screen with all my other drives. It was not until I went under Disk Management that I saw my new drive. It needed to be formatted before the computer would recognize it beyond Disk Management. I suspect you know this already, but I just thought I would share in case it might help. Good luck with your fixing your issue.

Mar 12, 2022
I just installed an M.2. NVMe Samsung 980 drive last night. When I first installed the drive, it would not appear on the "This PC' screen with all my other drives. It was not until I went under Disk Management that I saw my new drive. It needed to be formatted before the computer would recognize it beyond Disk Management. I suspect you know this already, but I just thought I would share in case it might help. Good luck with your fixing your issue.

Good to know that there are new NVMe that works for this mobo. Did you get the one with a heatsink? I think it might be too thick for this mobo. I am curious which one you got and if the one with heat sink fits?

ganymede-

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
I just saw this post. I was wondering if you ever got the issue with the Samsung SN850 working?

About a week after I installed my new Samsung 980PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD, I started having problems with Photoshop freezing up. I could only get it to work if I ended the application through the Task Manager. Also, I had a problem with long periods of time transferring files between internal drives.

I am going to use the migration software to clone my old Windows 10 OS onto the new Samsung SSD. There are a number of steps in my installation process that differ from what was suggested by a Diety that seemed to know a lot about the whole cloning process. First. I am going to disconnect all my external and internal SSDs & HDDs and only have the two Samsung drives plugged in. I will see if doing that way helps eliminate my problems.

I hope you have had good luck in setting up your new SSD successfully.

Mar 12, 2022
For me, I just bought 970 EVO Plus NVMe. Because I feel like wasting my money to buy PCIe 4.0 when the mobo only runs at PCIe 3.0.

And 970 EVO Plus NVMe works for me. However, I feel like it doesn't run as fast as it should be. Feels like any other SSD 2.5 inch drive.