[SOLVED] New OS on New SSD...Can I still access files/apps, etc. on Old SSD that has Old OS?

Sep 9, 2021
Hello everybody,
I have an entirely new rig to set up, and I would like to install my new OS on my new NVME SSD. I have a sata SSD which has all of my Windows OS and related stuff on it, as well as the majority of my apps. I have a 2TB HDD which has pictures, music, my recordings, etc.

If I install the new os on the new SSD, will I still be able to access the old SSD in order to move files over and to make sure I can reinstall all of the apps I want to have on the new os?

Thank you in advance,
Cyn

Solution
Hello everybody,
I have an entirely new rig to set up, and I would like to install my new OS on my new NVME SSD. I have a sata SSD which has all of my Windows OS and related stuff on it, as well as the majority of my apps. I have a 2TB HDD which has pictures, music, my recordings, etc.

If I install the new os on the new SSD, will I still be able to access the old SSD in order to move files over and to make sure I can reinstall all of the apps I want to have on the new os?

Thank you in advance,
Cyn
You can access files. Apps will not usually work. The new OS has a new registry. The necessary registry keys to make apps work are not there. Apps have to be reinstalled.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello everybody,

Thank you in advance,
Cyn
You can access files. Apps will not usually work. The new OS has a new registry. The necessary registry keys to make apps work are not there. Apps have to be reinstalled.

Solution
You can access files from the old OS. Though accessing user folders will require some permissions finagling.

If the app was standalone, didn't require activation, or isn't gated behind some launcher app like Steam or Origin, then you can run the app as-is. There just won't be any shortcuts (which you can add) or an entry to uninstall it.

Sep 9, 2021

Thanks you the reply! Yes, I had read on a different thread that I wouldn't be able to use apps from the old drive, but it is good to know that I can still access the files themselves--that way, I can at least see the apps so I know which ones I would like to reinstall ;)

You can access files from the old OS. Though accessing user folders will require some permissions finagling.

If the app was standalone, didn't require activation, or isn't gated behind some launcher app like Steam or Origin, then you can run the app as-is. There just won't be any shortcuts (which you can add) or an entry to uninstall it.

Thanks for the reply! I have launchers for the majority of my games (and most of those are Steam), so I will probably migrate the "heavier" ones to the new SSD. The non-launcher games I am OK with reinstalling; if I copy the folders (after reinstalling) will I have my old saves? For eg. Black & White 2, with a tiger-unlocker file?

For the user files, I can just copy them to another drive--for the most part, I use my HDD for music and pics anyway. But, I can copy my iTunes library over, correct? I've spent countless hours organizing my library--I don't want to start that over if I can help it o_O I can also save Google Chrome settings/passwords/favourites too, right?

Thanks again to both of you for your help (y)