New Palit GTX460 Sonic Uses 2GB GDDR5

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope one day one company will release a GTX 460 with 3-way and 4-way SLI support. If it scales so well with 2-way SLI, I hope that it can scale as well beyond that.
As it's a mid-range card that is highly unlikely to happen, 3 and 4 way SLi is reserved for the high end cards just as the low end lose SLi altogether.

[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Bah, who cares about all these kiddie gamer video cards?? I use an ATI X1600 from 2006. Works perfectly, does everything I need it to. If I want to play games, I turn on my PS3.[/citation]

If you dont care about video cards, Honestly why bother reading obvious article such as this then POSTING? :pfff: I dont know about you but if it's something i dont care about, i dont read it.

Now as for gaming, PC rules over game consoles. Much more up to date hardware, far better graphics, best of all you got a wide variety of uses of a pc. Game consoles, even with all there add-on of multi media features, there still highly limited use (and getting smaller like Linux OS feature removed).

Now run along play on your outdated ps3 and dont read on articles you wont care for.

Anyways, +1 for Cryogenic.

1GB is good for the card but unless you got cuda apps that could use the 2GB's in that card, Im doubtful that gaming will benefit from it due to the limited bandwidth.

haldiron

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Palit is a great brand. One of the things they've done well is use custom cooling options, not found on many of the other brands. They cater to the enthusiast market. From my experience, everything they do seems to be top notch.

roastmaster

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
They do make great product. I think only reason why people dislike them is because this big company do not offer life-time warranty.

But hey, they tried and have 2 year warranty for now. I think I read on the forums they are trying to push for life-time warranty but it does conflict with their other regions.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]warmon6[/nom]If you dont care about video cards, Honestly why bother reading obvious article such as this then POSTING? I dont know about you but if it's something i dont care about, i dont read it.[/citation]
LMAO! If only that were true! Have you read the number of comments on any Mac or iPhone news article here on Toms? The vast majority are by people who do not own, and do not intend to own an Apple product! Ha!

palitusa

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]LMAO! If only that were true! Have you read the number of comments on any Mac or iPhone news article here on Toms? The vast majority are by people who do not own, and do not intend to own an Apple product! Ha![/citation]

+1 on that

That is very true. Like how people are plugin for ATI video card on this article. Nice.

We used to sell ATI until they did not supply us with enough GPU to sell.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]roastmaster[/nom]They do make great product. I think only reason why people dislike them is because this big company do not offer life-time warranty.But hey, they tried and have 2 year warranty for now. I think I read on the forums they are trying to push for life-time warranty but it does conflict with their other regions.[/citation]

life time warranty isn't a bad idea. most people aren't going to keep a video card any longer than 3-5 years so at that point, the lifetime warranty doesn't matter any more. no negative financial impact on the company.

although me for example, I rma'd a visiontek card 3 times before i got one that worked right. lifetime warranty is ftw.

[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]LMAO! If only that were true! Have you read the number of comments on any Mac or iPhone news article here on Toms? The vast majority are by people who do not own, and do not intend to own an Apple product! Ha![/citation]

No because i dont normally read them :p Like i said, I dont read or comment on an article that i doesn't look interesting. Aka i dont read news apple. I do better thing like helping people over on the forums with there computer trouble than commenting on a article that dont interest me. Why waste time and life? ;)

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Bah, who cares about all these kiddie gamer video cards?? I use an ATI X1600 from 2006. Works perfectly, does everything I need it to. If I want to play games, I turn on my PS3.[/citation]

Only 'kiddie gamers' game on a console, especially a ps3. When you are ready to sack up and join the realm of true gamers, the PC will be there waiting.

facevalue

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
[citation][nom]darkerson[/nom]Not a bad looking card there. Wonder how much more the extra GB of ram adds to the price. Probably will be the best way to go for SLI, what with the extra ram and all.[/citation]
LOL! He called it RAM. Get out of tom's.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]warmon6[/nom]No because i dont normally read them Like i said, I dont read or comment on an article that i doesn't look interesting. Aka i dont read news apple. I do better thing like helping people over on the forums with there computer trouble than commenting on a article that dont interest me. Why waste time and life?[/citation]
Touche! Ok, well +1 for you then. You are one of the few.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]Stryter[/nom]Only 'kiddie gamers' game on a console, especially a ps3. When you are ready to sack up and join the realm of true gamers, the PC will be there waiting.[/citation]
I have no interest in such things. The only computer game I play is WoW, which runs nicely on the X1600 in my four year old Macbook Pro. Sorry, I'm just not a hardcore gamer. I play games maybe 2 hours per week. Really half the reason I bought a PS3 was for the Blu Ray player.

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Personally I don't think its going to be worth it over the 1gb version. The HD5870 2gb showed improvement in only a small handful of titles when used in crossfire I doubt 2gb on the GTX460 will make much difference. The extra price for a 2gb version would also push me towards getting the 470 or 5850 too. Kinda like the same thing that happened with the HD4870 2gb. By the time you used the 2gb you needed a faster card anyway.

crazybaldhead

Distinguished
May 2, 2010

Sapphire, Asus, MSI, Twintech...
Just tell me when you want me to stop.

Can a GTX460 even use 2GB of RAM? The 5850, 5870, GTX470, and GTX480 all have LESS VRAM than 2GB and are much more powerful.

This reminds me of another stupid marketing scheme - ie. The 9600GT, 4650, 9800GT, etc with 1GB of RAM, or a 4890 or GTS250 with 2GB of RAM - none of those cards can come close to using that much RAM while maintaining good frame rates.

unwanted

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
[citation][nom]crazybaldhead[/nom]Sapphire, Asus, MSI, Twintech...Just tell me when you want me to stop.[/citation]

You do realise there can only be "1" no.1?

Rattling off company names is also useless unless you can provide proof that one of them is the no.1 in europe.

Note also he said "no.1 discrete graphic card SELLER and brand". So for any of those 4 or other brands to be no.1 instead of Plait they will need to SELL MORE graphics cards (not just have better cards).

So to say any of those are no.1 over Palit you will need to quote published figures of graphics card sales in europe showing that have sold more then Palit.

On that same note though Palit also need quote sales figures which show that they are the no.1 seller and not just say it.

xophaser

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2007
talk about only game, but for rendering program more ram is always better. the gf104 series is impressive. Finally American engineers can smoke ati Canadian bacon

Status
Not open for further replies.