[SOLVED] New parts: won’t boot. ‘Prepare automatic repair’. What do?

Dec 31, 2020
I got a new B550M Mobo with a r7 5800x and two new ram sticks. Everything is detected in the bios but as soon as I click out of the bios it takes me to a blank Mobo manufacturer boot screen ‘MAG’, and nothing happens.
Then when I power off and on the pc comes up with a message saying ‘preparing automatic repair’and sticks like that for a while. Do I need to put my windows disk in or smt?

Solution
B550 MAG Mortar WIFI?

is there a choice on save & exit screen called Boot Override?
If so, put USB in at boot
go into BIOS and make sure 1st item in boot order is the drive you want to install onto
go to save & exit
select Boot Override & pick USB
PC should boot from USB

its possible it doesn't, I can't tell as manual doesn't show what is on save & exit screen - https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C94v1.1.pdf

i would suggest turning off Secure boot except i don't see it in there, it might be on the boot sub menu on Settings tab of Advanced view.

what is windows on? ssd or hdd? you could use secure erase in bios to wipe windows, it might be trying to boot the old install still.

USAFRet

Titan
I got a new B550M Mobo with a r7 5800x and two new ram sticks. Everything is detected in the bios but as soon as I click out of the bios it takes me to a blank Mobo manufacturer boot screen ‘MAG’, and nothing happens.
Then when I power off and on the pc comes up with a message saying ‘preparing automatic repair’and sticks like that for a while. Do I need to put my windows disk in or smt?
This is new motherboard and other parts, and an existing WIn 10 install on a old drive?
If so...you need to do a full wipe and reinstall. Windows, and everything else.

Changing parts like this has 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.
You have found #2.

Dec 31, 2020
did you clean install win 10 after getting the new parts?
if not,, that could be why its not working now.
I just put the new parts in with my old drives assuming I would just be able to boot back to my desktop on my old hard drives with windows on one of them. Do I need to completely reinstall windows?

Dec 31, 2020
This is new motherboard and other parts, and an existing WIn 10 install on a old drive?

1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
You have found #2.

So your saying just reinstall windows? and yes, windows is on my ssd

Dec 31, 2020

1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
You have found #2.

What on earth, I went for dinner and came back and restarted it now with the install media on my usb and now I just get a black screen when I turn it on

Dec 31, 2020
no bios screen?

which B550 board is it?

i found this - https://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/10211/b550-vision-black-screen-bios
Ok since you first replied a lot had changed... but I’m still not in. Everything is posting fine, but I can’t boot from anything. Because I only have my pc and a Mac in the house I realized that just installing an iso onto a memory stick didn’t work, so I have been watching some videos but none of them help.
Now I can get into my bios easy, but booting from a usb doesn’t wanna work.
I would use my actual windows install dvd from windows, but every time it posts it just had a black screen so I think it’s to do with my disk drive being old as I remember it not working well the last time I tried to use it.
Since realizing I needed to boot with something more than a ISO file I have tried formatting the drive to FAT32 etc but when I try and boot now I get a cut up image of the windows start screen and every time I press space the screen refreshes, after about 30 seconds it turns off once it gets to here.

Colif

Win 11 Master
B550 MAG Mortar WIFI?

is there a choice on save & exit screen called Boot Override?
If so, put USB in at boot
go into BIOS and make sure 1st item in boot order is the drive you want to install onto
go to save & exit
select Boot Override & pick USB
PC should boot from USB

its possible it doesn't, I can't tell as manual doesn't show what is on save & exit screen - https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C94v1.1.pdf

i would suggest turning off Secure boot except i don't see it in there, it might be on the boot sub menu on Settings tab of Advanced view.

what is windows on? ssd or hdd? you could use secure erase in bios to wipe windows, it might be trying to boot the old install still.

Solution