New PC, any suggestions?

Im-Liam

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2014
Any opinions on this new PC would be appreciated.

Specs:

MOBO - ASUS MAXIMUS VII RANGER Z97
GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked
CPU - i7-4790K
RAM - 16 Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 2133Mhz
PSU - 750W Corsair RM, Modular, Silent, 80PLUS Gold
OS - Windows 7
SSD - 120GB Samsung 840 EVO
HDD - 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Cooler - Corsair H100 hydro cooler with dual SP120L fans
Case -NZXT Phantom 530

If there's anything you think I should add, takeaway or change just let me know.

Solution
sli outperforms a single gpu but even modern titles arent build for sli!
Dying light just came out and it doenst support sli.
So as a result you get a lot of steep frame-drops in-game.

I would suggest 980, you can always add one in a year or so if games support sli by then.

And your favorite games on ssd is heaven. Especially if you play something like skyrim ...

stormflakes

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
build looks great, i just bought something very similar. will arrive this weekend.

im not 100% sure about this, but i think your memory is 1.65v and your cpu supports up to 1.5v. meaning it will downscale your memory to 1.5v. again, not 100% sure. you might just go for 1866 memory with lower cas and save some money.

TofuLion

Admirable
what resolution are you playing at? are you only gaming, or doing actual work. you could cut back to an i5-4690K and go GTX970 SLI. might consider a bigger SSD also, games are getting pretty large, even my 250GB drive filled faster than i anticipated.

Im-Liam

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2014

Mostly just gaming, plan on picking up an Asus VG248QE, so want to take full advantage of that.

TofuLion

Admirable

i would definitely go 970SLI but either way youll have plenty of gpu to handle 1080P 144Hz. definitely consider a larger SSD you can cut back on the RAM if need be, 8GB is plenty for gaming

Xavier Bouttier

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2013

Im guessing.. that his SSD, like 99% of people is just for OS and not games. HDD for games and storage.
SLI might outperform a single GPU in some games, but not all. Single card configurations are more stable.

TofuLion

Admirable

call me 1% then because i enjoy the increased load speed with my games as well as my OS. judging from the other components selected, budget is not an issue and 'overkill' is desired. why get more than you need on everything and get just enough on the SSD.

SLI outperforms in MOST games. practically all new titles (as well as those in the future) support multiple GPUs.

stormflakes

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
sli outperforms a single gpu but even modern titles arent build for sli!
Dying light just came out and it doenst support sli.
So as a result you get a lot of steep frame-drops in-game.

I would suggest 980, you can always add one in a year or so if games support sli by then.

And your favorite games on ssd is heaven. Especially if you play something like skyrim ...

Solution