new PC build 1080p

pivodrums

Prominent
Feb 10, 2018
so after some thinking I've decided to put together a new PC.
I'm using it for mediocre gaming (27" 1080p 60Hz).
Please suggest if I should make any adjustments.
CPU: i5-8600k
MB: Asus prime Z370-A
RAM: G.Skill DDR4 16gb (2x8gb kit) 3000Mhz - not sure yet if Ripjaws or Trident. Advice(s)? ;)
GPU: Asus GTX 1060 6GB ROG Strix
SSD: Samsung 960 evo M.2 NVMe 250GB
HDD: not sure yet, I know I want 2TB with 7200. 3 options: WD black, Seagate firecuda (barracuda?) or Toshiba X300. Again, here I'm open for advices.
PSU: Struggling to choose between Antec HCG-650 or Chieftec A90 GDP-650C
Cooler: Cryorig H7 (any better alternatives?)
Case: Silverstone RL06 pro (any better alternatives?)

I want to build a PC that will serve me for 7-10 years.
I want to overclock my CPU for the 1st time, heard it gets much better than 8400.
I'm from Slovenia (Europe).

tnx guys.

As Snipergod87 has mentioned, you may want to look at the 8700k if it's in your budget given the longevity you're after. You could also go with a Ryzen 7 build if you're looking for solid performance with a slightly lower price point.

The GPU will likely need replacing along the way though not for several years. Given the resolution you're at (and if you really plan on staying there), you may be okay.

I'm personally preferential to WD drives and have a 1TB Caviar Black in my rig. As far as the case, that's personal preference more than anything and if it's got what you need/want in terms of capacity and looks, go with it. The rest of your components look good.

pivodrums

Prominent
Feb 10, 2018
Snipergod87: I'll still stick to the i5-8600K cause price difference is 150€.
SkyBill40: Since gaming is what I'll use it for primarily, not rendering or streming it's gonna be intel not amd.
So +1 vote for wd black, tnx ;)
Zerk2012: Tnx for Antec vote, memory don't matter? OK, thought trident was a higher class than ripjaws.
+1 more vote for wd black, tnx ;)

Very good build, you could build as is.

I have some thoughts:

1. I very much like the 8600K for gaming.
Most games will not effectively use more than 2-3 threads.

2. How is your budget?
If an extra $100 is not important, perhaps a 8700K is worth it.
But, if budget is an issue, I would spend that $100 difference elsewhere.

3. I like the RL-06 Case. It supports two front 140mm filtered intakes which will be all you need.
One problem I see is that it only supports a cooler up to 158mm tall.
Your best cooler will be the cryorig H7@ 145mm which you mentioned.
But... you need 160mm for a good cooler that will let you OC the 8600K properly.
My criteria for a good case would be:
a) It must fit your parts.
b) It must look good to you. You will be looking at it for a long time.
c) It should have at least two 120/140mm front intake fans to supply a cooler with sufficient air.
That will be sufficient for a overclocked cpu and a graphics card as good as a gtx1080ti.
d) There should be a removable air filter in front. If all the intake air comes from one source and is filtered,
your parts will stay clean.
Something like a NZXT s340 perhaps.
4. With 160mm available, the best cooler will be a Noctua NH-D15s.
That will allow maximum overclocks.
If you are truly budget constrained, look at a $35 scythe kotetsu which is efficient and quiet.
a cooler with a 120mm fan is good only for modest overclocks.

5. Do you really need a HDD now? You can always add one later.
WD blue is good for storage. Hitachi is supposed to be one of the more reliable brands
I would pass on Seagate and particularly the firecuda. The amount of flash is not enough to do serious good.
6. 650w is good; it will support a future graphics upgrade as good as a GTX1080ti. Antec HCG-650 is good. Pass on chieftec.
You want a tier 1/2 unit from a list such as this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html
Not on the list yet are the new Seasonic focus units.
Highly rated, compact, gold rated, long warranty.

7. Buy a 2 x 8gb DDR4 ram kit. All brands are good with lifetime warranties.
Pass on fancy heat spreaders, they are just marketing.
3000 speed is good, probably no more than 3600 speed.

pivodrums

Prominent
Feb 10, 2018

1. agreed, that's why I'm sticking to 8600k not 8700k. I don't do hardcore gaming and resolution is only 1080p 60Hz
2. well, it's 150€ price difrerence over here and I don't think I'm gonna use the difference.
3. NZXT S340 was my 2nd choice, I also like it a lot, will look at it.
4. I see noctua dh15 is quite expensive (around 100€) and this is too much for just a cooler. Cryorig H7 is 3 times cheaper. I hear it's still a very solid cooler.
5. Well yeah, I want SSD for system, applications and games and hdd for data (video, music, pics,...). I hear a lot of good feeedback for WD black. Is it worth the price difference between the blue series (less warranty, 5400vs7200)?
6. Antec HCG-650 it is, tnx ;)
7. Yeah, I'm buying 2x8gb G.skill 3000Mhz, just not sure yet if Ripjaws series or Trident series ;)

tnx

pivodrums

Prominent
Feb 10, 2018
ok only component I'm not sure yet which to take is hdd.
WD black or WD blue?
I intend to install games (& other programs) on my 960 evo and have hdd for data so I believe blue should do the trick.
Tnx