Question New PC Build - Black Screen, Fans at Max RPM ?

Nov 18, 2023
Brand New 4070 Issues - Black Screen, Fans at Full Speed

Evening folks,

New PC build after my last one had issues after a long time of using it.

PC went together fine, brand new 4070 was running games well.

Went back to it today and after about 2 hours of playing, screen went black, fans hit max RPM. I could still hear the game/discord, but no visuals.

A minute or so after and the PC hard reboots, but otherwise posts fine.

I then ran a scannow, freshly reinstalled drivers with DDU and made sure I had all drivers up to date for everything.

30 minutes into a different game, does it again, although I got a video that time.

I took off the dust covers to see if it's a heat issue, but none of the monitoring software ever flagged a temp above 70 for the GPU or 60 for the CPU.

Appreciate any input or suggestions, all parts are brand new.

Thanks,

Parts List:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
GPU: Founders Edition RTX 4070
RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5/5600mhz
MB: ASUS PRIME B650-Plus: ATX
Storage: 2TB M.2
PSU: Corsair 850e
Case: Corsair 220T

Last edited:

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
the gpu test in another system done what you got as result also made sure power cable on it is well clip in did you also try only with generic os driver and system was working good before this new gpu .

atari360

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2014
I am having the same type of issue with my 3060Ti ...

Before I RMA'ed my card... I had th problem happen when I wasn't even hooked up to the GPU... I used HDMI to my motherboards video output... which is what made me think it was the card.

I RMA'ed my card. While it was gone I was using an old 1060... no problems at all. Got the "new" card back... went about 4-5 days without an issue. Played Diablo 4 for 8 hours... and then at the end of the night it gave me the problems. and then again this morning... so I am trying to buy a new PSU right now as I think the company I bought from used a generic one (listed as Standard PSU" on invoice.) which is my own fault as I should have checked that before submitting my order.

So that is where I am at right now. Only last that I think it could be is the RAM... but if I could use the motherboards video output I can't see that being that.

I got the RM850x on the way...

I know I didn't give YOU more info... but I figured you may want to know what I have tried myself.

I know this sounds stupid... but is your computer plugged into a grounded outlet? I have been reading that a lot lately from my research.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
for the outlet test you could use thishttps://www.google.ca/search?q=ac+outlet+tester&sca_esv=584068161&source=hp&ei=1rpbZeSZJN2j5NoP8sO2yA0&iflsig=AO6bgOgAAAAAZVvI5gh6mR8j7PBy-H0bPgXvASF5Vgvp&oq=ac+outlet+tester&gs_lp=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&sclient=gws-wiz cheapest will do the job