[SOLVED] New PC Build BSODs with Machine Check Error when Installing Windows 10/Soon After Logging In w/ preinstalled OS

Aug 12, 2019
Hello all,

Really starting to get near the end of my rope on this (been struggling off and on in my free time for 3 weeks now, there were other prior issues like a defective PSU and mobo I had to sort out) so help would really be appreciated.

New PC Specs:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Nfqkkd

Long story short, whenever I try to install Windows 10 on my computer, as the installation bar progresses it inevitably dies between 25%-60% with a Machine Check Error. With a preinstalled Windows 10, the computer freezes 1-3 minutes when not on Safe Mode and lasts 10-20 minutes on Safe Mode.

One of my friends has been kind enough to try to help me rebuild and troubleshoot.

These are some of the things we have tried so far:
  • Reseating the RAM
  • Reseating the CPU and the cooler. This involved removing the thermal paste with some TP and reapplying the thermal paste.
  • Switching the power outlet that I'm connecting my computer to.
  • Installing the OS on my hard drive using my friend's computer.
    • This causes the computer to boot up, but within 1-3 minutes after logging in the computer freezes when not on safe mode (sometimes with a BSOD, sometimes just a freeze).
    • When on safe mode, the computer lasts for much longer. I am able to connect to the internet, download things, and do stuff for awhile, but eventually the screen goes black (power remains on), which I assume is due to the same or a very similar issue.
  • Updating the BIOS (https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-XI-HERO-WI-FI/HelpDesk_BIOS/ )
    • After this was done, I was prompted to update the storage settings to use RAID. I did so but this didn't really do anything.
  • Updating the drivers(same site as above). This was done by downloading the drivers while in safe mode, then restarting and using the window of time where it wouldn't freeze to install the new drivers.
  • Crying (Not really, but damn going on a month without a build hurts)
Other potentially relevant information:
  • This problem happens both with my GPU installed and without.
  • Everything is on default overclocking settings, I'm not trying to push the system just yet.
  • We tested my GPU on my friend's machine and it worked fine for him.
  • We tested my RAM on my friend's machine and it worked fine for him.
  • I've run the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool in safe mode to generate these results:
  • I've run the Windows Memory Diagnostic and it completed without issue.
  • I currently have the hard drive with Windows 10 on it as well as a new hard drive (same type except 250 GB instead of 1TB) so that I can do tests without wiping the known good hard drive)
  • I haven't been plugging in the secondary chassis fan. However, the primary chassis fan and the CPU fan both spin when the computer is in operation.
  • I've been able to connect to the internet during the brief periods I can access the Desktop.
  • EDIT: The computer seems to be able to sit in BIOS indefinitely.
This is actually the furthest we've gotten, but man has it been a brick wall. Could this be a cooler issue? A mobo issue? Surely not the PSU again?

Last edited:
Solution
For those that have run into this issue. In my case it seems to have been a bit of an outlier. Evidently my SATA cable was damaged and some point and the arc charred some of the motherboard. I will mark this post as the solution once I get the machine fixed once and for all to confirm this was the case.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
See if you can update the bios to the latest via the "usb bios flashback" option. Maybe this will help ironing out issues.

Make sure you unpack the bios before putting it on a clean usb stick (fat32). Also rename the file as will be explained in the motherboards manual.

Aug 12, 2019
See if you can update the bios to the latest via the "usb bios flashback" option. Maybe this will help ironing out issues.

Make sure you unpack the bios before putting it on a clean usb stick (fat32). Also rename the file as will be explained in the motherboards manual.

Thanks for the reply!

I was able to update the BIOS using EZ Flash 3 by connecting to the internet. This was while using the hard drive that my friend installed Windows 10 for me on.

Would going by the USB method do anything differently? My EZ Flash method was done just 2 days ago.

Aug 12, 2019
For those that have run into this issue. In my case it seems to have been a bit of an outlier. Evidently my SATA cable was damaged and some point and the arc charred some of the motherboard. I will mark this post as the solution once I get the machine fixed once and for all to confirm this was the case.

Solution