Hello.

I just built this pc:

• CPU: Intel Core I7-13700k
  • GPU: Gainward Geforce RTX 4070 TI Phantom Reunion
  • Memory: Kingston Fury Beast RGB DDR5 6000MHz 32GB
  • PSU: Corsair RMe 1000e 1000W
  • Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus Z790 HERO
  • Windows 11
  • Storage: Kingston M.2 NV2 PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD 2TB and Samsung 870 EVO 2,5" SSD 2TB.
  • Main monitor: Asus ROG PG278QR
  • Second monitor: Asus VG278B

What happens is when I play games like Spider-Man Remastered and Battlefield 2042 my second monitors goes black for 1-2 seconds a few times before it looses connection and my pc freezes. I can hear ingame sounds when this happens. It does not happen with games like Hunt: Showdown and Sons of the Forest, so it seems like its only happening with more demanding games.
I have the latest drivers for the graphics card, I have updated bios and monitors but it still happens.

Anyone here able to help me?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Once you were on the OS, did you let the OS download and install all relevant drivers for your platform? If so, I'd use DDU, then manually install the latest driver from Nvidia in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

For the sake of relevance, can you state the BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time? You forgot to include the make and model of your storage. Speaking of storage, was the OS drive migrated from your older platform to the new, without a reinstall of the OS?

Limbo155

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
Once you were on the OS, did you let the OS download and install all relevant drivers for your platform? If so, I'd use DDU, then manually install the latest driver from Nvidia in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

For the sake of relevance, can you state the BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time? You forgot to include the make and model of your storage. Speaking of storage, was the OS drive migrated from your older platform to the new, without a reinstall of the OS?
Thanks for replying.

I let OS do its thing before I manually downloaded AI Suite 3, Armoury Crate and Nvidia Geforce Experience and then installed all the latest drivers from there.
My BIOS version is 0816 x64,
Sorry about that. My storage is Kingston M.2 NV2 PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD 2TB and Samsung 870 EVO 2,5" SSD 2TB.
The OS was bought specifically for this build so I downloaded it to a USB and installed fresh.

I will try with DDU.

Thanks so far!

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Does everything work normally with only one monitor attached? And if not, are there any freezing issues if you remove the GPU entirely from the system and run on the integrated graphics? Best way to pin down issues is to simplify a PC wherever possible.

Reactions: Limbo155

Limbo155

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
Does everything work normally with only one monitor attached? And if not, are there any freezing issues if you remove the GPU entirely from the system and run on the integrated graphics? Best way to pin down issues is to simplify a PC wherever possible.

Everything seems to be working normal with only one monitor attached, yes

They are G-Sync compitable, but I have turned it off to try without it. Same problem
I see, too bad. That is usually an easy fix. Have you tried to make sure that the cables are good and that no pressure is on the back of the cables when they are plugged in behind the GPU and the monitor? Have you tried using just the monitor that has the issue? In the Nvidia control panel are the monitor on their native resolutions?

Limbo155

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
I see, too bad. That is usually an easy fix. Have you tried to make sure that the cables are good and that no pressure is on the back of the cables when they are plugged in behind the GPU and the monitor? Have you tried using just the monitor that has the issue? In the Nvidia control panel are the monitor on their native resolutions?
Ok so might have a fix. I tried using just the monitor causing the issue and no black screens.... Can it be that I had my main monitor connected with display port and the other with HDMI that was causing the issue?
Now I am gaming on the one that uses HDMI and seems like there is no problem after playing for about an hour

Ok so might have a fix. I tried using just the monitor causing the issue and no black screens.... Can it be that I had my main monitor connected with display port and the other with HDMI that was causing the issue?
Now I am gaming on the one that uses HDMI and seems like there is no problem after playing for about an hour
Not likely. It could be an issue with the GPU using multiple monitors. What are the ports available on the back of your graphics card? What are the ports available on both monitors?

Limbo155

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
Which monitors have what ports?
They are basically the same so they both have 1 display port and 2 hdmi ports

Edit: After playing for a while the now main monitor just blacked out no warning, then the other monitor blacked out for 1-2 seconds. I pressed pause on the game and they both came back, so still no fix

Edit 2: After the screens came back my second monitor was all blurry.

Last edited:

Limbo155

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
Update: It's definately the second monitor which is now the main monitor that is the problem. When I am playing now it blacks out, especially in cutscenes, but when I hit pause its coming back to normal. Could it be old HDMI cable?

Update: It's definately the second monitor which is now the main monitor that is the problem. When I am playing now it blacks out, especially in cutscenes, but when I hit pause its coming back to normal. Could it be old HDMI cable?
I think you should try DisplayPort cables on both monitors. Otherwise I would start to suspect the GPU as we have ruled out drivers as an issue. Is there any light game like league of legends or CS:GO you can try with the integrated graphics from the CPU? This may add to the evidence that it is the GPU if it does not happen on the iGPU.

Limbo155

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
I think you should try DisplayPort cables on both monitors. Otherwise I would start to suspect the GPU as we have ruled out drivers as an issue. Is there any light game like league of legends or CS:GO you can try with the integrated graphics from the CPU? This may add to the evidence that it is the GPU if it does not happen on the iGPU.
Okay I will try that. I can say that this does not happen on all games. I can play Hunt: Showdown and Sons of the Forest without problem.

Last edited:

Limbo155

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
I found something that works.

When I put both monitors to 120hz there is no issue, so I think it must be driver related.

Second monitor can be set to 144hz, but main monitor can only be set to 144,1hz.

Last edited:
Reactions: helper800