Question New PC build Freezing up completely

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tacticalkali

Reputable
Oct 16, 2019
Intel i5 12400
Gigabyte B550 Gaming X DD4
32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB
GTX 1050 TI
500GB Corsair MX500
1TB WD Caviar Blue

I leave my pc often to come back to it frozen; the audio just goes like when the PC BSODs, but no blue screen. Everything is brand new other than ssd, hdd and gpu. Runs windows 11. thought it might be the ram - uninstalled icue and it still does it. It's a full freeze, almost as if someone's removed a part. It mostly happens when i lock the pc but has also happened once when using it; the keyboard and mouse aren't lit up almost as if they're unplugged, nothing has an affect other than holding down power button.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

Colif

Win 11 Master
32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB
is it 2 sticks or 4? is it one set?

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

SSD can just stop completely. HDD at least normally give some warning signs, like noises.
SSD can work one day and not exist next.

Ideal situation with an ssd is to assume it might die tomorrow and have backups just in case.

tacticalkali

Reputable
Oct 16, 2019
is it 2 sticks or 4? is it one set?

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

SSD can just stop completely. HDD at least normally give some warning signs, like noises.
SSD can work one day and not exist next.

Ideal situation with an ssd is to assume it might die tomorrow and have backups just in case.

There's nothing on the ssd other than windows, everything is backed up.
I will run memtest. it's 2 sticks

Colif

Win 11 Master
did you try using Boot Overrride in bios? It should be on Save & Exit screen - Page 29 - https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...s_e_v1.pdf?v=93b99305ad3b892dd556a85055ed6fab

or if this is windows 11, go to settings/system/recovery & next to advanced startup, click restart now
If its windows 10, the menu choices are settings/Update & security/recovery - under advanced startup, click restart now
this loads PC into a blue menu
choose Use a device
If USB is still in a slot, it should show as a bootable device. Pick from list and PC should boot from USB.

tacticalkali

Reputable
Oct 16, 2019
did you try using Boot Overrride in bios? It should be on Save & Exit screen - Page 29 - https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...s_e_v1.pdf?v=93b99305ad3b892dd556a85055ed6fab

or if this is windows 11, go to settings/system/recovery & next to advanced startup, click restart now
If its windows 10, the menu choices are settings/Update & security/recovery - under advanced startup, click restart now
choose Use a device
If USB is still in a slot, it should show as a bootable device. Pick from list and PC should boot from USB.
Okay thank you ill try that

tacticalkali

Reputable
Oct 16, 2019

choose Use a device

Also another two points
- The crucial software is now not even recognising the device for a self test

"
No Drives Found Supporting Device Self-Test Operation

No supported drives were discovered in the system.

Device Self-Test operation is not available due to the following reason(s):
  • Drive0: Command is not supported.
  • Drive1: Command is not supported."
I have read somewhere that it might not necessarily be the SSD that has failed but rather a motherboard SATA port or ports? I have tried it on another sata port and still same error but could still all be bad.

I'm probably going to use this as an opportunnity to migrate to an M.2 drive
Would updating the firmware of the drive or BIOS be of any use as well as memtest?

tacticalkali

Reputable
Oct 16, 2019

choose Use a device

It's not working at all. I click f12 to use the boot menu, select the device, it resetarts, then takes me back into the bios. even when disabling all sata devices and using windows recovery menu.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Gigabyte B660 Gaming X DD4
what are the codes on the ram?

I think both those USB can use FAT32 so they should boot.

Also another two points
- The crucial software is now not even recognising the device for a self test

"
No Drives Found Supporting Device Self-Test Operation

No supported drives were discovered in the system.

Device Self-Test operation is not available due to the following reason(s):
  • Drive0: Command is not supported.
  • Drive1: Command is not supported."
I have read somewhere that it might not necessarily be the SSD that has failed but rather a motherboard SATA port or ports? I have tried it on another sata port and still same error but could still all be bad.
i missed this bit

Whats the problem with you, PC, is it ram or storage? or motherboard?? (this is a rhetorical question)
I would perhaps check ssd in another PC and see if it same.
  1. can't seem to run memtest
  2. ssd can't be checked by Crucial software

if its a new PC, nothing should have failed.

i would make this on one of the USB and see if you can boot into it - https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/create-a-usb-stick-on-ubuntu#1-overview just as a test. It also includes memtest - https://www.psychz.net/client/kb/en/how-to-check-ram-for-error-using-ubuntu-live-cd.html

tacticalkali

Reputable
Oct 16, 2019
Gigabyte B660 Gaming X DD4
what are the codes on the ram?

I think both those USB can use FAT32 so they should boot.

i missed this bit

Whats the problem with you, PC, is it ram or storage? or motherboard?? (this is a rhetorical question)
I would perhaps check ssd in another PC and see if it same.
  1. can't seem to run memtest
  2. ssd can't be checked by Crucial software
if its a new PC, nothing should have failed.

i would make this on one of the USB and see if you can boot into it - https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/create-a-usb-stick-on-ubuntu#1-overview just as a test. It also includes memtest - https://www.psychz.net/client/kb/en/how-to-check-ram-for-error-using-ubuntu-live-cd.html

The SSD is not new. It is 3 years old
I have also tried formatting the drive as NTFS - same result

Colif

Win 11 Master
Crucial (and Adata) are the ssd I see fail the most. So its possible its the reason for your freezes.
given its stopped showing up for the testing software. Might be time for an nvme...

see if using a different drive stops the freezing before worrying about ram. Intel CPU are more likely to work with ram not on QVL. Corsair may have tested that ram with board and CPU.

tacticalkali

Reputable
Oct 16, 2019
Crucial (and Adata) are the ssd I see fail the most. So its possible its the reason for your freezes.
given its stopped showing up for the testing software. Might be time for an nvme...

see if using a different drive stops the freezing before worrying about ram. Intel CPU are more likely to work with ram not on QVL. Corsair may have tested that ram with board and CPU.

Might have to suck it up and just buy a new ssd then because i don't have a spare and don't want the aggravation of having to repartition my hdd and potentially risk losing files there. I need an m.2 anyway because all the PC's I have built recently for people I've put M.2s in.

I have never seen this issue before, someone also said it could be my network card? It's a PCI card and i haven't had any issues with it before, but it's pre 2015 designed for windows 7 and maybe 8.1, so maybe something with windows 11 has messed with it

Colif

Win 11 Master
See if replacing drive fixes it. There are lots of "could be's" and always odd ball answers that you don't see coming. I have seen all sorts of strange answers. And given some :)

I would get a Samsung drive, they seem to be more reliable. Rarely see them fail. I have only had 2 ssd so far and they both Samsung and both work still.