[SOLVED] New PC Build getting BSODs

Dec 25, 2020
I've just built my first PC and since trying to install Windows 10 I have been randomly getting BSODs, I first got them at the Windows 10 install creation media and ended up leaving the PC for a bit and then using a different USB to succesfully install Windows. Since installing all the Drivers, the issue seems to be less frequent, however is still happening randomly.

I have ran checks on the RAM, whilst also re-installing drivers and updating my BIOS to the latest version again, however the issue still persists.

My PC Specs are

Ryzen 5900x CPU
ASUS B550-E Motherboard
GTX 1070 Palit Jetstream (This is the only thing that is Second hand, everything else is brand new)
32gb 3200Mhz Corsair Dominator RAM
1TB Samsung 970 Evo SSD
Corsair RMi 850w PSU
Corsair 150i Elite Capellix

I do have Minidumps to share, however I am unsure how I can do this, I appologise if there isn't enough information, this is my first PC i've had.

I appreciate anyone who has the time to try and give us a hand, Thanks!

Solution
my least fav error.

WHEA = Window Hardware Error Architecture. Its an error called by CPU but not necessarily caused by it. It can be caused by any hardware. Sometimes it is drivers.
Can be caused by heat
Can be caused by overclocking software such as Asus AI Suite, Intel Extreme tuning (which is unlikely on a Ryzen system), or MSI Afterburner. I can see ASio.sys on PC so I assume you have AI Suite installed?
BIOS updates can fix but you have latest BIOS
grab latest chipset driver - https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b550-e-gaming-model/helpdesk_download/

1st 2 crashes were so fast it doesn't show a lot of info
Crash victim 2 was Icue
what is Icue controlling? AIO, does the dominator have rgb? PSU - I know...

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/kjq7d9mc/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:122620-8828-01.dmp (Dec 26 2020 - 16:13:04)
Bugcheck:WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
Probably caused by:AuthenticAMD (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 21 Sec(s)

File information:122620-8718-01.dmp (Dec 26 2020 - 16:14:03)
Probably caused by:AuthenticAMD (Process: Corsair.Servic)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 38 Sec(s)

File information:122420-8437-01.dmp (Dec 24 2020 - 11:02:13)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: steamwebhelper.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 4 Hour(s), 56 Min(s), and 40 Sec(s)

File information:122420-5500-01.dmp (Dec 23 2020 - 19:27:54)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: autochk.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 02 Min(s), and 09 Sec(s)

File information:122420-5234-01.dmp (Dec 23 2020 - 19:17:27)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: LightingService.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 18 Sec(s)
Comment: The GPU tweaking driver "iomap64.sys" was found on your system. (AI Suite or GPU Tweak 2)

Possible Motherboard page: https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b550-e-gaming-model/
You have the latest BIOS already installed, version 1401.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
my least fav error.

WHEA = Window Hardware Error Architecture. Its an error called by CPU but not necessarily caused by it. It can be caused by any hardware. Sometimes it is drivers.
Can be caused by heat
Can be caused by overclocking software such as Asus AI Suite, Intel Extreme tuning (which is unlikely on a Ryzen system), or MSI Afterburner. I can see ASio.sys on PC so I assume you have AI Suite installed?
BIOS updates can fix but you have latest BIOS
grab latest chipset driver - https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b550-e-gaming-model/helpdesk_download/

1st 2 crashes were so fast it doesn't show a lot of info
Crash victim 2 was Icue
what is Icue controlling? AIO, does the dominator have rgb? PSU - I know some corsair PSU allow monitoring via Icue
crash victim number 3 is part of steam
crash 4 victim was the process that starts chkdsk
crash 5 victim is part of Asus RGB

its fairly random what its blaming

how did you test ram?
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

speculation - could be 2 & 5 are both rgb related. What are you using to control it in PC? I could be way off. I try to find patterns and since I use Icue to control rgb on my aio and ram, I figured maybe its some sort of conflict with maybe Armoury crate? It can be hardware drivers that cause WHEA. Although if your 1st one was during an install I would lean towards hardware since no drivers run during install.

Solution
Dec 25, 2020
Hello thankyou for the reply,

I do have Asus Ai Suite installed, however I have not changed any settings through this and have also kept my BIOS settings as the default.

I have several lighting software, but for hardware I do have iCue which controls the lighting for my RAM and AIO (With the fans I have installed too), my PSU is also apart of this as I have a data link.

I'll make sure to run the memtest again as I ran it with both sticks in.

The only software I've been using is iCue and then Armoury Crate for the motherboard and Case lighting, I have Thundermaster for the Palit GPU, however I only just installed this yesterday. I feel like it is something to do with my hardware as like you said it was before any drivers were installed, it crashed around 3 times on clicking 'Install' for windows at the very start and crashed again after I got slightly further in the installation process before I managed to finally download Windows.

I'll run the Memtest now with the seperate modules and see what I get back!

Dec 25, 2020
Ok so I've just finished doing the Memtest86 on the seperate sticks and got no errors at all.

I was just looking at the most recent minidumps using this bluescreen app (It is very basic and only gives the host address of the crash) and the address now seems to have changed. Before it said PSHED.dll and ntorsknl.exe was the cause, where now it is only notrsknl.exe, I don't know what this means however maybe installing the drivers fixed half the issue (I have no clue about any of this however just thought I'd mention as I've noticed it.)

Also one thing I forgot to mention, when I first was booting windows onto the computer, my CPU temperature was sitting between the values of 45 degrees - 50 degrees, is this much higher than normal seeing I'm using an AIO? I tried to what a usual CPU temperature should be online but the posts were very vague and varied.

Colif

Win 11 Master
ntoskrnl = windows kernel. It handles all driver requests, power management, and memory management. It sits between Hardware and Applications. It got blamed but its not the cause
PSHED.dll = Platform Specific Hardware Error Diagnostics
hal.dll - hardware abstraction layer

these are all parts of windows, they are what crashed. They aren't the cause unfortunately. Just victims.

You didn't mention 3rd but BSV generally mentions it with WHEA errors.

Ryzen CPU temps bounce around all the time, the reason being the score is just an average of about 50 sensors on the CPU Die, and it can just bounce from 40 to 55 every second when it wakes a core to do something. I have a 3600XT, Mine is always doing it. I have an AIO as well and your temps are same as mine. People "fix" it by overclocking but I feel, it is doing it naturally, why make CPU run full speed just to reduce its spikes.

so not ram.

crash 2 caused this to crash - Corsair.Servic but it would have been nice to have full name as it could be Corsair.Service.Display Adapter which is used by the Icue service to find out the temps on the GPU.

Have you updated Icue recently? Newest version is 3.36.125
It may not stop that bsod, I haven't' had it cause BSOD on my PC but it does crash every few days in the background. If you don't add GPU temps to the dashboard on Icue it might not run the service.

Dec 25, 2020
Yes when reading about the WHEA error I saw how usually it was combined with the 3rd error hal.dll, however on the BlueScreenView app this wasn't one of the victims, which reading most posts everyone else with WHEA errors seemed to have in common.

Oh ok well that's good to know that the temperatures are the same, I have no knowledge really with this side of computers so it just seemed very high to me, however it does rarely hit 50 degrees and tends to bounce to it once in a while like you stated.

I have just checked and I had I firmware update on the AIO and also am updating the version stated, I have only checked updates on windows or when I installed drivers so this wasn't something I had checked. I haven't added anything to iCue in terms of GPU temperature and in terms of overclocking, I've kept that all on default as I've not yet looked into it yet.

The BSODs anyway seem to hardly happen, I only got 3 in a row yesterday after the Memtest86 however I've tried playing games on max settings to see if making the components work harder does anything however I have had nothing since 4-5 days ago, so unfortunately I don't know if the issue has been fixed, however at the moment it is happening a lot lot less!

Colif

Win 11 Master
HAL - I just mentioned it as you may see it as well. They all seem to crash in WHEA errors.

The temps vary based on ambient temp too. And what plan your fans are running in Icue. (highlight the device in Icue on the home tab, and click performance, will show what plan the fans run in. Mine normally on Quiet but balanced isn't that much louder if temps are cool. I been running balanced all night and max temp I seen on a cpu core was 52c

I see people with Intel CPU running at 24c with AIO and I often wonder myself if temps are okay.

Dec 25, 2020
Funnily enough just after I posted about not getting as many BSODs, my computer randomly shut down (But wasn't a Blue screen, first time this has happened.)

I set all my fans to be on Balanced as noise is the least of my worries for anything after coming from my PS4 that had Jet Engines for cooling (Don't know if you have ever heard how loud they get but it's impressive), however even on that setting they are virtually silent.

Yes that's what my Friend's pc temperatures with just Air Cooling on the CPU get (albeit slightly higher) so I did start to worry about them being too high!

I am unsure anyway if the WHEA area is fixed, however compared to the start where I was getting a BSOD atleast every 30 minutes, I am barely getting any, if not none on some days. I will post anything if it crops up though, but wanted to thankyou for all your help with this issue and also explaining everything to me, you've been great thanks!

Colif

Win 11 Master
i forgot how loud ps4 can get. Its been a few years since i used one. I don't think i can hear my aio fans over the case fans since the case ones always run at same speed. I might fix that next year with different fans.

45-55 at idle on 5900X seems about average from what I can tell. link