[SOLVED] New PC build hard drive question

Jan 4, 2019
I am currently building a new PC and have a question regarding the hard drives.

My old PC has a designated SSD with the OS installed on it and has a second hard drive which is used for storing data such as games, pics, music, etc.

On my NEW PC I bought a new SSD and OS to install on it, but I am wondering can I just plug in my old second hard drive which has all the games, pics, music, etc. installed on it??? OR do I need to buy a whole new hard drive and transfer the data??

Thanks a bunch for the replies.

Solution
The only issue you may run into is that trying to use the files, it may say you aren't authorized to use them. I know it does for an OS drive if you used it as a secondary with the files still on it. In the off chance you do run into rights issues, you should run command prompt as an admin and use the takeown command, for example, if the 2nd drive is your D: drive, type: takeown /f D: /r and it should take ownership of everything on the drive for your user.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Games and software might need to be reinstalled but you can definitely use the drive and keep any data files that are on it.
Steam games don't need to be downloaded again if you tell steam to create a new library in the same location as an existing folder, it will find existing game files when you "reinstall" a game if you do that. Other games generally have to be installed to work except perhaps some blizzard games.

Dec 18, 2018
The only issue you may run into is that trying to use the files, it may say you aren't authorized to use them. I know it does for an OS drive if you used it as a secondary with the files still on it. In the off chance you do run into rights issues, you should run command prompt as an admin and use the takeown command, for example, if the 2nd drive is your D: drive, type: takeown /f D: /r and it should take ownership of everything on the drive for your user.

Solution