CPU- i7-13700
HSF - Noctua DH15 Chromax Black
MOBO - MSI Pro Z790P WIFI
RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB 16gb x2 6400MHz CL36
GPU - MSI 4070Ti RTX
SDD- Samsung 990 Pro NVME M2
PSU - Corsair RM750x (750 w)
OS- Windows 11 Home
- all parts checked with pcpartpicker.com to screen for obvious incompatibilities.
No overclocking; all settings are stock.

Problem:

- random but frequent freezes/crashes during gaming (Path of Exile) over ~8 hours of gaming. Briefly played Cyberpunk 2077 but only for 30 min - no crashes.
- mostly the freezes require a hard reboot; once, everything froze but the audio continued in the background (the audio was not looping); once, my pc spontaneously gradually unfroze and action continued after 30 seconds like nothing happened; twice, instead of a hard freeze, I got a Windows 11 BSOD
- all crashes except one happened inside my game. the one exception was when I got a BSOD when opening File Explorer from the desktop. I did not save the BSOD error codes, but at the time when I googled them, I got nonspecific and vague answers alluding to "improper shutdown" that did not pinpoint the problem. Crashes are random - can go 2-3 hours without one and then have several within 10-15 min of each other.

My attempts at diagnosing/problem solving:
- Flashed BIOS to most recent
- Firmware and drivers all up to date. Originally installed the GPU driver using NVIDIA's GeForce Experience software; later on removed the driver with DDU and re-installed driver only....this seemed to prevent crashes for about 3-4 hours before they started returning - coincidental?
- Checked CPU/GPU temps throughout - no issues
- I know the 4070Ti GPU is OK - I used it for two weeks in my old build without a single crash (Windows 10, i7 6700k cpu) because it shipped way before all the other hardware
- RAM sticks in the appropriate DIMM slots according to MOBO manual
- ***MEMTEST86: 1 RAM stick in the first DIMM slot had 0 errors after 2 of the 4 passes. Adding a 2nd RAM stick in the second DIMM slot showed 650 errors *only* during Test10 - bit fade after 2 of the 4 passes. At this point I took out both RAM sticks and returned them to Amazon - I am awaiting new RAM from Newegg (G Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 2 x 16Gb 7800 MHz).
- I know I didn't do the memtest correctly - I'm supposed to try one stick at a time and also run it all night, but at this point I figured since I had any errors at all and it was within the return window, I would just return it. However, after doing as much research as I could (and with the limited knowledge I have), it seems it could still be a MOBO issue, a CPU issue (the memory controller), or a CPU-MOBO-RAM incompatibility where I'd have to tweak timings and voltages - I've never done this before.

Question:
- Based on the above info, do any of you have a suspicion on what the cause most likely is, or any suggestion on how I can further diagnose the issue? I'm admittedly an amateur pc builder (I built one in 2009, and another 2016 - both were stable and problem free for 7 years!) and short of swapping parts one by one I don't know what else to do. Wondering if there's a more efficient way of identify the faulty hardware to minimize wasted time.
Thanks in advance !

Lutfij

Titan
Flashed BIOS to most recent
Can you state the version for your BIOS at this moment of time? Did you cleat the CMOS after verifying that the BIOS was flashed to the latest version?

Which slots are the rams populating on the motherboard? You forgot to mention the make and model of your case. What sort of temps are you seeing when you're gaming?

I know the 4070Ti GPU is OK - I used it for two weeks in my old build without a single crash (Windows 10, i7 6700k cpu) because it shipped way before all the other hardware
Apart from the GPU, did you migrate any other component from the old build?

rlumtai

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
Flashed BIOS to most recent
Can you state the version for your BIOS at this moment of time? Did you cleat the CMOS after verifying that the BIOS was flashed to the latest version?

Which slots are the rams populating on the motherboard? You forgot to mention the make and model of your case. What sort of temps are you seeing when you're gaming?

I know the 4070Ti GPU is OK - I used it for two weeks in my old build without a single crash (Windows 10, i7 6700k cpu) because it shipped way before all the other hardware
Apart from the GPU, did you migrate any other component from the old build?
BIOS version is: E7E06IMS.A90 build date 09/08/2023
Note: the BIOS version on the MSI website for this specific MOBO lists a different version: 7E06vA9 But when you download the listed BIOS file, E7E06IMS.A90 is the file you get!

I did not clear the CMOS at any point....something I can try next.

The RAM slots being populated are 2 (DIMMA2), 4 (DIMMB2) as per manual recommendations. I've tried using 1 vs 2 sticks of RAM and I get the freezes regardless.

The case I use is a Fractal Meshify 2 RGB. Peak gaming temp's for the CPU/GPU were about 55C/65C respectively.

I did not reuse any other component - the 4070 was the only hardware re-utilized.