[SOLVED] New Pc Build has choppy Video and games lag

Aug 20, 2020
Hello PC community,

this is my 3rd build after buying an imac and selling it 6 months later. I have never had issues like this and I cant figure out why.

Specs are:

CPU: amd ryzen 7 1800x w/ corsair liquid cooling system
Memory: 8 gb ddr4 2400 ballistix gaming memory
Board: asrock x370 gaming itx
Graphics: Sapphire radeon nitro 6x 590 8gb gddr5 dual dp oc
storage: ata sandisk sdssdh31
power: thermaltake 700w tr2

I am currently running linux mint 19 tara as my OS. I tried changing my graphics card. this is my second and an upgrade. I tried changing my monitor and switching from a an hdmi to a display port as well. The only strange thing i have noticed is, when i look at my specs in system info. Linux does not list my video card. only the resolution of my screen which is 3840x2160. it says llvmpipe (LLVM 10.0.0, 128 bits) all other hardware is recognized and listed. Could this be a driver issue?

Last edited:
Solution
I tried to install the available driver in the video and it didnt seem to work. the current driver info seems to be the same. An open source generic video driver

The generic driver will be the issue, have you been able to test the card in a different machine? It could be the card is faulty if the propitiatory drivers wont install?
Hello PC community,

this is my 3rd build after buying an imac and selling it 6 months later. I have never had issues like this and I cant figure out why.

Specs are:

CPU: amd ryzen 7 1800x
Memory: 8 gb ddr4 2400 ballistix gaming memory
Board: asrock x370 gaming itx
Graphics: Sapphire radeon nitro 6x 590 8gb gddr5 dual dp oc
storage: ata sandisk sdssdh31

I am currently running linux mint 19 tara as my OS. I tried changing my graphics card. this is my second and an upgrade. I tried changing my monitor and switching from a an hdmi to a display port as well. The only strange thing i have noticed is, when i look at my specs in system info. Linux does not list my video card. only the resolution of my screen which is 3840x2160. it says llvmpipe (LLVM 10.0.0, 128 bits) all other hardware is recognized and listed. COuld this be a driver issue?

You will need to install the Linux Radeon drivers to get that graphics card working correctly - there are two options, one direct from AMD (closed source) and a separate Open Source AMD gpu diver, the performance varies between the two when looking at games but both would enable gpu acceleration for video output and such and should resolve your issues.

I don't have any experience of Mint (I've run Ubuntu and xUbuntu on quite a few machines over the years but never tried Mint out)... a quick search on YouTube threw up this as a quick howto for getting the drivers installed:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjnwlYpXvHY

Reactions: Jikkstaah
Aug 20, 2020
You will need to install the Linux Radeon drivers to get that graphics card working correctly - there are two options, one direct from AMD (closed source) and a separate Open Source AMD gpu diver, the performance varies between the two when looking at games but both would enable gpu acceleration for video output and such and should resolve your issues.

I don't have any experience of Mint (I've run Ubuntu and xUbuntu on quite a few machines over the years but never tried Mint out)... a quick search on YouTube threw up this as a quick howto for getting the drivers installed:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjnwlYpXvHY
I tried to install the available driver in the video and it didnt seem to work. the current driver info seems to be the same. An open source generic video driver