[SOLVED] New PC build has major mouse & keyboard lag ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenView

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2014
The build:
I built a new computer in June last year (2022) with the following specs:
  • Mobo: ASUS Prime Z690-P WiFi D
  • CPU: i7 12700k
  • GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 TUF 12GB OC
  • RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX 64GB (4x 16GB) 3600MHz DDR4
  • CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE 240mm
  • PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold
  • Case: NZXT H510
  • C drive: 500GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe
  • Additional install drives: Additional Installs on Crucial P5 Plus 2TB M.2 SSD & Crucial P2 CT2000P2SSD8 2TB SSD
  • Additional non-install drives: Non cruical files (that aren't being accessed during any of the issues described below) on a number of SATA SSD's and HDDs.
  • Mouse: Logitech G502
  • Keyboard: Corsair K70 Mk2 Low Profile
This isn't my first self-build but it is the first time I've gone to Windows 11.

The Issue:

The machine is obviously pretty well kitted out, and with video games doesn't struggle at all even at the absolute maximum graphics specs (on my 1440p ultra-wide display whilst also running a secondary display).

It tends not to struggle at all with anything super intensive. I use this machine for a lot of things, whether it be gaming, video editing (4k-8k), 3D design, etc.
However, on some things there is real lag.

Just in Windows itself, I can occasionally get lag when dragging and dropping things (and very often if I drag and drop something, the Icon of the item being dragged remains over my mouse even once I've dropped it).

However, most obvious with the lag is when I'm using Autodesk's Fusion 360 software for 3D design. Here's a shot screen recording I made of the issue (with 2 different usage windows on the side). The mouse movement is pretty responsive, but you can see the thing that I'm moving or dragging takes ages to catch up. For those not familiar with Fusion360, with what I'm doing in that video, anything moving on-screen is linked directly to my mouse movement, so should be happening at the same time and speed.

As you can see in that video, my CPU, GPU, and RAM never even hit 30% usage, and the cooler fluid is sat at a comfortable 34 °

I also occasionally get severe typing lag. It's not all the time and it can be in any application, to the point where I could write one short sentence, I finish physically typing, and then have to wait up to 30 seconds for it to finish typing on-screen. but then other time's it's completely fine.

So as you can see, the mouse is responding fine, so it's not input lag, no component on the machine is struggling, and it's not running particularly complex tasks (my last build before this was running a GTX 1060 6GB, an i7-8700, and 32GB RAM, and it coped with this type of stuff far better).

Issues summarized:
  • Mouse action lag, but not input lag (as in, mouse responds in-time, but the thing the mouse is interacting with takes far too long to catch up) [Persistent in some software and occasionally just in Windows Explorer]
  • Keyboard/Typing lag (I type something on the keyboard and then have to wait for it to display on screen). [Only occasional, not all the time, and doesn't seem to happen in any particular software']
The things I've tried:
  • Drivers for all hardware are always updated to the latest versions (including GPU, CPU Cooler, Intel's various drivers, logitech, and corsair firmware and drivers etc)
  • Latest windows version
  • Updated BIOS firmware
Summary:
So yeah, I'm a bit lost. I've tried everything I can think of. If you've got any suggestions of what I could try, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks all!

PROBLEM SOLVED: SOLLUTION
So I managed to figure out the problem. It turns out it was to do with how Windows 11 has divided some power settings into different places.
If your computer is lagging and running super slow (despite being more than powerful enough for the task at hand), even though nothing is being heavily utilised, check your power options in BOTH control panel, and settings and ensure there isn't a low-power, energy saving, or eco mode turned on, as this will be throttling your components power!
Make sure you check the power mode in control panel first as if you have an eco mode selected here it can limit the power options shown in the completely separate 'Settings' menu.

Last edited:
Reactions: Artmann

GreenView

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2014
Try disable inactive window scrolling in mouse settings.

I'll give that a try in a minute, but out of curiosity why would this be an issue? This issue is present even when there are no other programmes running, and it's not linked to when I'm using the scroll wheel.

GreenView

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2014
Well, I've sorted it!

I am not a computer noob by a long shot, but I'm going to go ahead and place the blame firmly on Microsoft dividing and hiding very similar settings in different places on Windows 11!

In Windows Settings > System > Power it displays power mode. I glanced at this before and saw the only one displayed was just "power mode" with no other options shown so I assumed that it was in, you know, Power mode.

Anyway, looking into it further, Windows 11 has an additional setting hidden away in control panel that is by default set to an eco mode and with that turned on, it actually deactivates your power mode options in the completely separate settings menu.

Anyway, I turned that eco modded off, went back to System settings and low and behold there are now options I can change. Simply flipped it over to 'Balanced mode' as a test and the thing <Mod Edit> flies.

Makes sense why it was lagging majorly despite the processes not getting that heavy. It's because nothing was achieving it's maximum limit, but was all so underpowered it was running super slow.

So I'll leave this here in case anyone else runs into it, but long story short, if your computer is lagging and running super slow even though nothing is being heavily utilised, check your power options in BOTH control panel, and settings!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: GarrettL
Status
Not open for further replies.