[SOLVED] New PC build keeps freezing randomly ?

Oct 4, 2023
I just updated my pc's motherboard, ram, processor and cpu and have been having problems with my pc freezing. It runs all my games just fine but if I leave it on hulu for to long for example it will freeze up and I won't be able to even pull up the task manager. It will do this randomly when not on web pages as well so Because of this and I have an ethernet connection with great wifi I'm at a loss. With my previous build I never had an issue pulling up the task manager if the pc was running into problems. I also have 32 gb ram running at 3200 so I don't believe it's a ram issue. Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

Msi mpg b550 plus gaming- motherboard
Ryzen 7 5700x -cpu
Corsair vengeance 2 x 16 3200 - ram

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

I just updated my pc's motherboard, ram, processor
What were you working with prior? Did you reinstall the OS after the motherboard swap?

Reactions: kurdtnz
Oct 4, 2023
CPU: ryzen 7 5700x
CPU cooler: hyper 212 cooler master
Motherboard: msi mpg b550 plus gaming
Ram: corsair vengeance rgb -3200
SSD/HDD: samsung 970 evo 2 tb
GPU: radeon rx 6650 t=xt
PSU: seasonic 550w 80 + gold - 3 years old not sure model
Chassis: deep cool atx mid tower
Monitor: hp omen 1440p
bios 1.B0

sorry I did not consider my other components to be an issue, and i have always worked with windows 10 and had to reinstall when i put in new components.

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
To see if it's a problem associated with overclocking the RAM to DDR4-3200, temporarily disable XMP in the BIOS and allow the memory to drop back to the default JEDEC speed of 2133 or 2400MT/s.

If the computer stops crashing at the slower RAM speed, go back to XMP 3200MT/s but manually relax the CL (CAS) timing on both DIMMs by 1 or 2 clock cycles, e.g. if it's CL30 at 3200MT/s, try CL31 or CL32.

If this doesn't work and you have another PSU, fit it in place of the Seasonic.

Oct 4, 2023
So I updated my bios and that did nothing. When I dropped my ram speed down to 2133 the problem has not popped up since so hopefully that was the only issue. Thank you Misgar, i was thinking to myself my ram is faster and i have more than i used to so that couldnt be the issue. I really appreciate it.

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
Glad to be of service (now that I'm back from a tour of a whisky distillery in Scotland).😀

Some apps, e.g. Adobe Premiere Pro, do not benefit greatly from faster RAM on a Ryzen system. Intel systems benefit far more from faster RAM in Premiere.

Oct 4, 2023
just wanted to update in case anyone else has this problem. I changed the speed of my ram down as i stated earlier and that fixed the problem for a short time. it would freeze less frequently but still ended up happening. I decided to change out the psu for a more powerful one ( 700 w) as was misgar's other suggestion and that worked. I used a couple sites to see the total wattage of my machine and they all said that 550 was more than enough, it apparently was not, so check on that if you have a similar issue. thanks again to misgar.

Latest posts