Sep 26, 2019
Hello everyone!

I am planning to build a new PC soon and my friends have recommended the below specs which they think are suitable. However I would like to seek further recommendations or advise from you guys. For a start, the PC would primarily be focused on gaming build and VR but I would also use it for some light/freelance editing such as Photoshop/After Effects/Premiere Pro CC. I aim to use this PC for long-term and would not intend to upgrade soon once purchased (maybe only upgrading the RAM in future). Below is the current list of my PC build, please feel free to suggest or recommend any changes that would improve it.

Having a few dilemmas regarding CPU/GPU:
Ryzen 7 2700x + RTX 2070 Super
OR
Ryzen 7 3700x + RTX 2060 Super

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Heavy gaming/ VR gaming/ Watching Movie/ Light office work/ Light video & picture editing
Are you buying a monitor: No
Budget Range: USD 1000-1200
Parts to Upgrade: (CPU, RAM, GPU) maybe in far future.
Overclocking: No
SLI or Crossfire: No
Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080
Price of below build in local currency: RM 4650 (which is about roughly $1082.15 USD)- the total shown below is actually much higher than the price i am purchasing at.
Current Monitor: Acer Nitro XV270P 27"inc

PC parts that I am buying from: https://www.azioonline.com/

Additional Comments: PC games such as DotA/GTA V/PUBG/COD, VR games such as Lone Echo/Stormlands/Asgard Wraith., editing softwares such as After effects/Premiere Pro CC

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fD3VZf

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor ($292.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($82.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: HP EX900 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($65.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB VENTUS OC Video Card ($539.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Cougar VTX 700 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($109.99 @ B&H)
Chassis: https://www.azioonline.com/gaming-case/1st-player-black-sir-b5
Total: $1200.95 (not included chassis)
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-14 02:23 EDT-0400

Would love to have your feedback and advice if there is anything that could be changed for better and longer experience.

Solution
I would go for, like he said above, the Ryzen 5 3600 instead of the 7 2700x. The R5 3600 is over 100 dollars cheaper than the the r7 2700x and actually gives better performance in gaming in most games.... you can see that in this video....
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R5YxqzEsJs

Also, unless you are planning on upgrading to 1440p or 4k you shouldn't need a 2070. I would go with the Ryzen 5 3600 RTX 2060 super personally and save a little money. This is the kind of performance you would get....
View: https://youtu.be/FlNCOjYs-rE
Hello everyone!

I am planning to build a new PC soon and my friends have recommended the below specs which they think are suitable. However I would like to seek further recommendations or advise from you guys. For a start, the PC would primarily be focused on gaming build and VR but I would also use it for some light/freelance editing such as Photoshop/After Effects/Premiere Pro CC. I aim to use this PC for long-term and would not intend to upgrade soon once purchased (maybe only upgrading the RAM in future). Below is the current list of my PC build, please feel free to suggest or recommend any changes that would improve it.

Having a few dilemmas regarding CPU/GPU:
Ryzen 7 2700x + RTX 2070 Super
OR
Ryzen 7 3700x + RTX 2060 Super

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Heavy gaming/ VR gaming/ Watching Movie/ Light office work/ Light video & picture editing
Are you buying a monitor: No
Budget Range: USD 1000-1200
Parts to Upgrade: (CPU, RAM, GPU) maybe in far future.
Overclocking: No
SLI or Crossfire: No
Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080
Price of below build in local currency: RM 4650 (which is about roughly $1082.15 USD)- the total shown below is actually much higher than the price i am purchasing at.
Current Monitor: Acer Nitro XV270P 27"inc

PC parts that I am buying from: https://www.azioonline.com/

Additional Comments: PC games such as DotA/GTA V/PUBG/COD, VR games such as Lone Echo/Stormlands/Asgard Wraith., editing softwares such as After effects/Premiere Pro CC

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fD3VZf

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor ($292.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($82.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: HP EX900 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($65.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB VENTUS OC Video Card ($539.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Cougar VTX 700 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($109.99 @ B&H)
Chassis: https://www.azioonline.com/gaming-case/1st-player-black-sir-b5
Total: $1200.95 (not included chassis)
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-14 02:23 EDT-0400

Would love to have your feedback and advice if there is anything that could be changed for better and longer experience.

I think as your main focus is gaming and VR, and that you don't want to upgrade the gpu for a good while you are better opting for RTX 2070 Super.

With respect of the cpu - I wonder if you might be better off looking at the R5 3600 (or 3600X ) rather than a 2700X. The faster ipc and single thread performance of the newer core in the 3000 series would give better performance in games - especially useful for VR gaming where getting consistent frame rates is critical.

The 2700X is a bit faster than a 3600 in work tasks but from what you are saying you are only doing light video editing so I think the 6 core / 12 thread cpu would be plenty for this whilst it would be better for your gaming work.

Mattp2017

Honorable
Jan 25, 2017
I would go for, like he said above, the Ryzen 5 3600 instead of the 7 2700x. The R5 3600 is over 100 dollars cheaper than the the r7 2700x and actually gives better performance in gaming in most games.... you can see that in this video....

Also, unless you are planning on upgrading to 1440p or 4k you shouldn't need a 2070. I would go with the Ryzen 5 3600 RTX 2060 super personally and save a little money. This is the kind of performance you would get....

Solution
Sep 26, 2019
I think as your main focus is gaming and VR, and that you don't want to upgrade the gpu for a good while you are better opting for RTX 2070 Super.

With respect of the cpu - I wonder if you might be better off looking at the R5 3600 (or 3600X ) rather than a 2700X. The faster ipc and single thread performance of the newer core in the 3000 series would give better performance in games - especially useful for VR gaming where getting consistent frame rates is critical.

The 2700X is a bit faster than a 3600 in work tasks but from what you are saying you are only doing light video editing so I think the 6 core / 12 thread cpu would be plenty for this whilst it would be better for your gaming work.

Thanks for the recommendation, appreciate your great input! Regarding the CPU, you're right I think its important to get the consistent frame rates too. Sounds pretty good to me on the R5 3600 series, may I know is it worth considering the 3600X then? I just want to make sure i get the best out of it for this series and oh I don't plan to overclock the CPU.

Reactions: cdrkf
Sep 26, 2019

These video comparison are amazing! Thank you! I thought of getting the RTX 2070S as I'm looking for long term like future proof. But my monitor is only on 1080P, would it be an overkill getting the RTX 2070S?

Mattp2017

Honorable
Jan 25, 2017
These video comparison are amazing! Thank you! I thought of getting the RTX 2070S as I'm looking for long term like future proof. But my monitor is only on 1080P, would it be an overkill getting the RTX 2070S?

Probably so..... I mean you have a 144hz monitor and you can see with the 2060s it's getting over 144fps in most games but there are a few between 60-90 so if it's important to you to hit 144 on ultra everything then you might want to go with the 2070s that's completely up to you. IMO it's not worth it, but that is completely subjective.
Also, it's difficult to future proof by getting a more expensive gpu because they are constantly coming out with newer, better ones. That's not to say the 2070s wouldn't last you a long time, however, if you weren't going to upgrade your monitor or PC for a couple of years there will be something else out 2 years from now at the same price with more features.

Probably so..... I mean you have a 144hz monitor and you can see with the 2060s it's getting over 144fps in most games but there are a few between 60-90 so if it's important to you to hit 144 on ultra everything then you might want to go with the 2070s that's completely up to you. IMO it's not worth it, but that is completely subjective.
Also, it's difficult to future proof by getting a more expensive gpu because they are constantly coming out with newer, better ones. That's not to say the 2070s wouldn't last you a long time, however, if you weren't going to upgrade your monitor or PC for a couple of years there will be something else out 2 years from now at the same price with more features.

My only thought on this is that he also wants to play games in VR - in which case I think the 2070S does offer a decent jump in performance (although that does somewhat depend on which headset he will be using?)

Bonedancer

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011

By itself, if the 2070S is around $100 more and you're trying to "future proof" it, it seems like a good investment. However, I've never built an AMD rig. I found a comparison you may find useful. Note this author thinks the the 3700x "severely bottlenecks a 2070S"... so what then for a 2700x? Look over the entire page and it should lead you to some more questions. Good luck!

By itself, if the 2070S is around $100 more and you're trying to "future proof" it, it seems like a good investment. However, I've never built an AMD rig. I found a comparison you may find useful. Note this author thinks the the 3700x "severely bottlenecks a 2070S"... so what then for a 2700x? Look over the entire page and it should lead you to some more questions. Good luck!

With regard to CPU scaling with different cpu's, this video is quite handy:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZGlhGjFUFM

Skip to 13 min mark for the performance summary. This is comparing a couple of ryzen 3000 series parts against the 9900K in cpu limited scenarios.... the performance difference is really small even with a 2080ti,

Intel holds a small lead at the top end with the 9700k / 9900K thanks to those parts being able to hit 5ghz clocks and having low inter core latency due to being based on a ring bus design. The Ryzen 3000 series though are actually higher IPC than Intel and have more cache memory so there are a few titles where the Ryzen 3000 cpu's lead a stock 9900k despite being clocked quite a bit lower.

With regard to that article - Userbenchmark are known to be wildly Intel biased. When Ryzen 3000 series was launched it won all the recommendations so they changed the weightings saying that "4 thread performance is most important" and notably putting Intel in front again. This was widely ridiculed by multiple outlets. The author actually recommends a 9600K over a Ryzen 7 3700X which is madness. A 6 core, 6 thread cpu is not a better investment than an 8 core 16 thread part - just like all the people "in the know" who pushed the 4 thread i5's over first gen Ryzen. Go check a few recent benchmarks of the Ryzen 5 1600 (6 ores 12 threads) vs a core i5 7600k in recent games. There are many recent titles that the i5 can't handle without severe frame drops and stuttering due to lack of cores / threads whilst the Ryzen 5 1600 is still holds up just fine.