New PC Build No Sound

gclancy101

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
Hey Everyone,
I am a first time PC builder and I just made my first machine. I used a Z97 Extreme3 MB, 8G of ram, 2x Radeon r9 290 GPU, an EVGA 1000W gold rated PSU, and a phanteks cooler for the cpu, which is an intel i5 4970 I think. The case is a NZXT s340. I have 2 hard drives, one ssd one hdd. Currently running Windows 8.1

I have so far gotten everything to work except for the sound. I installed all the proper updated realtek drivers, tried re installing them as well as re installing my MB drivers. When I plug my headphones into any of the audio ports and look at the mixer I see the equalizer bars showing that there is sound, but it does not come through the headphones. I have tried most of the google solutions I can find but got no results.

It may or may not be related but I also get a Microsoft action center notification to install chipset drivers, and when i click download from internet and download them it directs me to the intel site to download intel smart connect technology drivers, I download them, and the message comes back shortly after restarting my computer. (I don't think this is related but you all know much more about this than I do so I included it to be safe)