[SOLVED] New PC build - NVIDIA Driver for rog strix 3070 failure - VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 18, 2020
ok....i guess i got it and could solve my problem - it looks like i had a thermal problem. yesterday i was able to play for about 2h straight without any problems (underclocked, case open for better temperature). today i played about 1,5h with normal clocking (max. 2010MHz) and case open (better temp).

Yesterday i had about 59° CPU and 47° GPU Temp - today i got a little bit higher CPU (+3°) and even the same or lower GPU (-2°) Temp.

I put the lower front fan to the top but havent tested a closed case now. i guess the biggest temp problem i have is that my cooling tower of the CPU is right above the GPU processor (1,5cm) and the sensors are somewhere else. At the same time CPU temp seemed to be ok - but CPU Package temp was really high sometimes (~77-80°). Overall said - my Case maybe is just too small to put CPU and GPU that close and on the other hand i couldnt produce the needed airflow.

I really hope that this is the solution. What i am gonna do next? Told my wife i want a CPU AIO Cooling for christmas......so i get way more space above the GPU and more room for airflow and heat "exhaling".

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me and came up with possible solutions and i hope i don't have to come back with the same problem :)

Dec 18, 2020
Here i am - back with my problem. Did buy full 3DMark today and just for fun tried an ULTIMATE stresstest - after 20 Minutes and max. temp of 62° (GPU/CPU) i got a restart. ordered my cpu water cooling and a bigger case for better airflow but currently i'm thinking about to RMA the 3070......or something else. here we go again.......

Dec 18, 2020
i guess thats it with my 3070 - i opened a thread in MS Community to have a more detailed look on my dumps and it still seems to be a hardware problem. but focused on my BRAND NEW 3070. So i'll contact the seller to return it or whatever they do with it (as also said by ASUS) - damaged PSU also came from them. i'm little bit pissed right now.

Dec 18, 2020
i changed my case last week to a big tower for better airflow and to give the RTX more space for "breathing" and since december 26th i played Final Fantasy XV on Ultra with NVIDIA Hairworks etc. with 96% GPU usage and constantly on max. 63°. I played about 50 Hours since and didn't have any crashes since. That made me very confused. So i started to re-think - when 2 games (on full load) work perfectly and 3 other games don't - maybe it IS the "young" NVIDIA driver for the RTX 3k-series who isn't performing well?

One thing i also found confusing - as i set up my build i got the latest drivers for AMD chipset, LAN, Audio and so on. Last week i tried the tool "Driver Easy" just to look at my system and maybe to find old drivers. And here we go - AMD chipset wasn't updated, LAN/Audio Driver where old, PCIE Bridge Driver old and many more.....so i updated all of them manually - maybe that helped too.

So when i'm finished with Final Fantasy i'm gonna try my "problematic" games again to see if everything works fine now.....but first i'll put my new CPU watercooling in :)

PS: i saw on the ASUS MoBo site that there are newer BIOS versions but in BETA - should i try them or should i stay when my system is running good now?

Dec 18, 2020
CONCLUSION JANUARY 2021

In certain games (RDR2, ME Andromeda - both on Ultra) my PC restarts randomly. Or sometimes i just got Blackscreens after 2 Hours. Temperatures are perfect whilest gaming (CPU max. 58°, GPU max. 60°), no overclocking by myself, PSU should fit (measures said), tried different drivers, installed windows completely new, made cpu/gpu stress tests (3DMark, Prime95) without problems, 3070 used on 10 year old system without probs, 10 year old gpu (GTX750Ti) used in new build without probs. On tuesday again Blackscreen with ME Andromeda and nearly 1.500 entries in windows event viewer about broken graphics driver.

In other Games - like Final Fantasy XV (ultra with nvidia hairworks etc.) - i can play 24/7 without any issues. Same gpu/cpu usage like in ME Andromeda. I just don't get it.......wrote a Mail to Asus Support - their first respond was that it sounds like my GPU is broken and i should RMA it. Second answer was by a gpu tech of asus - he'll call me this week (i hope) to clarify my issues.

But now i'm at a point where i'm absolutely frustrated and want to RMA my Motherboard, RAM and GPU und get it replaced just to be sure these components are good and working.......what would you do? If the GPU is really damaged i probably won't get a new one (germany/austria) and that would piss me off massive.......would you RMA everything i said and hope it gets better?

Feb 5, 2021
CONCLUSION JANUARY 2021

In certain games (RDR2, ME Andromeda - both on Ultra) my PC restarts randomly. Or sometimes i just got Blackscreens after 2 Hours. Temperatures are perfect whilest gaming (CPU max. 58°, GPU max. 60°), no overclocking by myself, PSU should fit (measures said), tried different drivers, installed windows completely new, made cpu/gpu stress tests (3DMark, Prime95) without problems, 3070 used on 10 year old system without probs, 10 year old gpu (GTX750Ti) used in new build without probs. On tuesday again Blackscreen with ME Andromeda and nearly 1.500 entries in windows event viewer about broken graphics driver.

In other Games - like Final Fantasy XV (ultra with nvidia hairworks etc.) - i can play 24/7 without any issues. Same gpu/cpu usage like in ME Andromeda. I just don't get it.......wrote a Mail to Asus Support - their first respond was that it sounds like my GPU is broken and i should RMA it. Second answer was by a gpu tech of asus - he'll call me this week (i hope) to clarify my issues.

But now i'm at a point where i'm absolutely frustrated and want to RMA my Motherboard, RAM and GPU und get it replaced just to be sure these components are good and working.......what would you do? If the GPU is really damaged i probably won't get a new one (germany/austria) and that would piss me off massive.......would you RMA everything i said and hope it gets better?
Hi, regardings from Peru. Did you solve your problem? I had the same problem.
Specs:
-Cpu: Ryzen5 5600x
-Gpu: Asus rog strix 3070
-MotherBoard: AsusB550 f gaming
-Psu:Seasonic 850w focus gold
-LiquidCooiling: Corsair H150i 360mm

After several tries I found a possible solution no restarts after 3 days of testing. I downloaded msi afterburner undervolt the gpu. Reduce the power limited(%) to 95 and set Mhz to 1800 on 875mV
You can search the video on youtube just put (RTX 3070 Undervolt Guide and benchmark (for beginners from a beginner)

-Good luck and hope that solution will work for you.

Reactions: StarbucksRedx
Dec 18, 2020
Had a call with german Asus Tech Support and we talked for about 30 Minutes about EVERYTHING in my build. really good support guy. So we went trough a few things and possible issues and he said, that he didn't think that my 3070 is broken (clocking is perfect, temps are perfect). He said i should replace my Motherboard and switch RAM manufacturer because the new RAM i ordered isn't officially supported by my Motherboard (and CPU) right now. I shouldn't install iCue for the beginning and should update MoBo BIOS to highest (BETA) Version. Drivers only via Windows Update.

soooo .....I replaced the Motherboard (same as before but new) and switched RAM to G.Skill - Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3200 and did a fresh Win10 install. Since then (22nd January) i've nearly made it trough Mass Effect Andromeda (had restarts before), Homeoffice (blackscreens before), FF-X and WOT (had restarts before) without any CTD, Restarts or Bluescreens till now.

I can't tell if my motherboard was broken or my RAM was bad (changed both at the same time) but i'm just happy that everything seems to work smoothly at the moment.

Mar 21, 2021
I have the exactly same issue here and Win DBG shows the same code: VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED (141). The error always points to the file nvlddmkm.sys.
I put my RTX 2060 in an old computer with an I7 3770k (works). I put a gtx 770 on my new buid and works too. I can't understand what is happening. I've tried everything.
The problem got worse after a bios update. It only happened during games, now it happens when I'm using the system.

My config is

MSI b450 tomahawk max
Ryzen 5 3600
Power Supply Corsair CX 650
Geil Super Luce - 16 GB (2*8) 3000 MHz
MSI RTX 2060 ventus xs 6g oc

Other things I've already done to try to solve or discover the root of the problem:

* I reinstalled the video card. I took it out of the slot, put it back in, also checking if the power supply cable was properly seated.

* I did a clean installation of the video driver using DDU

* I formatted the system

* I disabled xmp and any other overclocking

* I did the Windows memtest (passed)

* I tested the psu voltages by stressing the system with AIDA64. I also stressed the gpu and tested the voltage using the GPU-Z. Everything normal.

* I changed my ssd (for another reason, but the problem has not changed)

* I took memtest86 + (No errors found / I took the test 2x)

* I updated Bios to the latest version.

* Updated the chipset drivers

* Video driver always up to date

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021
I have the exactly same issue here and Win DBG shows the same code: VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED (141). The error always points to the file nvlddmkm.sys.
I put my RTX 2060 in an old computer with an I7 3770k (works). I put a gtx 770 on my new buid and works too. I can't understand what is happening. I've tried everything.
The problem got worse after a bios update. It only happened during games, now it happens when I'm using the system.

My config is

MSI b450 tomahawk max
Ryzen 5 3600
Power Supply Corsair CX 650
Geil Super Luce - 16 GB (2*8) 3000 MHz
MSI RTX 2060 ventus xs 6g oc

Other thing I've already done to try to solve or discover the root of the problem:

* I reinstalled the video card. I took it out of the slot, put it back in, also checking if the power supply cable was properly seated.

* I did a clean installation of the video driver using DDU

* I formatted the system

* I disabled xmp and any other overclocking

* I did the Windows memtest (passed)

* I tested the psu voltages by stressing the system with AIDA64. I also stressed the gpu and tested the voltage using the GPU-Z. Everything normal.

* I changed my ssd (for another reason, but the problem has not changed)

* I took memtest86 + (No errors found / I took the test 2x)

* I updated Bios to the latest version.

* Updated the chipset drivers

* Video driver always up to date
Did you tried with MSI Afterburner? Try reducing Power Limit to 95% if that doesn't you can undervolt too

Mar 21, 2021
Did you tried with MSI Afterburner? Try reducing Power Limit to 95% if that doesn't you can undervolt too

I haven't tried this yet, but I will try if the error persists. Thank you for your help.
I've change the Tdrdelay from the default setting to 12. I haven't had any problems for days, but I'm not sure yet if it's a solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeanMark
Feb 5, 2021
I haven't tried this yet, but I will try if the error persists. Thank you for your help.
I've change the Tdrdelay from the default setting to 12. I haven't had any problems for days, but I'm not sure yet if it's a solution.
I hope you have solved it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.