New PC Build: Powers on but no monitor bootup.

Dec 20, 2018
Parts List
i5-9600K
Noctua U14S
MSI Z370-A PRO
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 16GB
SSD MX500 M.2 500GB
Seagate BarraCuda Internal Hard Drive 2TB
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING 8GB GDDR5, HYBRID & RGB LED
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550
Fractal Design Meshify C
MSI Optix MAG240VC 236 LED Curved FHD FreeSync Monitor Black

I am building a new PC with the above parts. I have set up all of the components into the case, and powered it up and it seemingly runs. After plugging the pc into the monitor, and turning on the pc, the monitor doesn't turn on. The monitor works fine, I have checked with another laptop.

I have done extensive troubleshooting on the PC, and nothing has helped.

Couple important notes: This is my first time building a PC. I had a couple of more experienced friends help me set everything up in the case, and I'm fairly certain everything is plugged in correctly. To my knowledge, mostly everything was delivered fine. The SSD was not greatly packaged, but seemed fine. The CPU is what concerns me, because it was partially run over by a family members car. The CPU's box was in rough shape, but the CPU looked fine in the plastic packaging. I didn't see any bent or damaged pins.

I have a couple of theories on the problem.

1. CPU: I think the CPU might be the problem. As I mentioned above, the CPU could be broken. I didn't see any bent pins, and when seating the CPU, I had no problems. The CPU set pretty firmly.

2. MOBO: I don't believe there were any problems with the motherboard. Never dropped, scratched, everything lights up, etc.. But given the issue, a likely culprit is the Motherboard.

3. RAM: Like the Motherboard, I don't think there are any problems with the RAM, but given the issue, another likely culprit is the RAM.

I went back after I had this problem, and I reseated the CPU. Still no luck.

So my question is, what should I do to try to fix this problem? If you could send a long list of things to try to fix it, that would be great. Thanks!

Solution
Have you tried using a different CPU?
Checking back, it looks like your motherboard isn't compatible with your CPU out of the box. Do you have an older CPU to update your motherboard so it's compatible with your i5-9600k?

1. Does your graphics card work, are the fans running?
2. Is your output device (HDMI or VGA) plugged into the GPU or mobo I/O?

Dec 20, 2018
1. Does your graphics card work, are the fans running?
2. Is your output device (HDMI or VGA) plugged into the GPU or mobo I/O?[/quotemsg]

1. Yes. Graphics card lights up, all fans run.
2. Yes. HDMI cable is plugged into GPU. Also there is no hdmi port on the z370 motherboard.

Dec 20, 2018
1. Did you make sure that your monitor is connected to the proper mode? HDMI/VGA/DVI? Sometimes, you need to manually change that mode.
2. How many monitors are you using? Some people install too many monitors at once, before updating their GPU drivers.
3. Have you tried another monitor? A smart TV, borrow a friend's monitor?
4. Since this is your first time building a PC. did you first remove your HDD/SDD and install your computer using only the M.2? Because your computer won't be able to read the other storage unit at the same time, when you first install your OS.
5. Did you plug in your USB cable into the USB1 slot? You can't just plug a USB cable into any slot, you have to install them in the lowest number first, because they run through protocol. Like if you have USB2/3/4/5/6, and you plug in USB 6 (because of convenience), your computer won't turn on.
6. Make sure you push in the monitor cables hard, if they are loose, by the slightest bit, they won't work.
7. If that didn't work, try removing your GPU and connect your monitor cable into your Mobo's monitor port. That way, we can rule out GPU problems.
8. Did you put your GPU in the right slot? Is it in all the way? Did you make sure that you put in the power cables all the way in? did you hear a click? Did you push your GPU into your motherboard hard enough? If loosened, nothing will show up. Your computer will turn on, because your CPU has an integrated gpu.

Dec 20, 2018

How would I do that? Is it as simple as unplugging the GPU from its slot and running it? Or do I need to disconnect it from the power supply, do anything else, etc?

Dec 20, 2018

1. Monitor's in the correct mode.
2. Only one monitor.
3. Tried using another monitor, didn't work. Tried using another computer, original monitor worked fine. The PC is the problem.
4. I haven't been able to get a signal on the monitor, so I haven't installed windows or even looked at bios yet.
5. Same^
6. Monitor cables are pushed all the way in.
7. Motherboard doesn't have a monitor port :(
8. Pushed it in all the way, it's in the topmost spot, which I assume is correct. All power supply cables are pushed all the way into the psu.

Dec 20, 2018
Have you tried using a different CPU?
Checking back, it looks like your motherboard isn't compatible with your CPU out of the box. Do you have an older CPU to update your motherboard so it's compatible with your i5-9600k?

Solution
Dec 20, 2018

I'm pretty sure this is the problem. Is there a way to flash my bios using a usb for the z370? I know you can on some higher end motherboards. Or will I just have to get a lower generation cpu and update it that way?

unfortunately no, you will need to install a compatible CPU to get the PC to Boot to update the BIOS the Z370 motherboard came out with 8th generation core CPU's

the best thing you can do is either buy a cheap 8th gen celeron or pentium CPU to get the system to boot or return the motherbord and get one with the Z390 chipset

EDIT: i did check the specs for your bord but it doesn't have any option isee that would allow you to update the BIOS without being able to boot

Dec 20, 2018

Any possibility I could "rent" a previous generation cpu from a pc repair store? Could be cheaper.. Any recommendations?

i don't think its possible to "rent" but you can take it to one to get the BIOS updated

Dec 20, 2018

Yeah that's what I'll have to do. Thank you all so much for your help! I think this is the problem. I'll post an update tomorrow if the problem persists.